Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been asked by a few people on here on this, so here goes.

My build is based around the Nexus 7; it is currently running SmoothROM 5.1, with a custom build of the motley 249 kernel to include the kernel patches from USBROM (all credit due to Timur on the patches), as well as a couple of USB serial drivers that I need.

First the Jeep (btw this isnt my normal parking spot at the United Center)

Its a small vehicle in every way, so first off, test to see if the nexus 7 will fit:

its a tight fit, but looks like its going to work out.

Next part, mod the dash to fit the nexus 7. I'd like to say I know how to do this, but I don't. I had a local car audio custom shop mod the panel and install an amp. It was expensive, but the total was still less than a new double DIN radio with nav....

so how did it turn out? pretty good! a test of some streaming video over my home wifi.

Other hardware:
Behringer UCA-202 USB DAC
Directed DMHD1000 HD radio tuner
T-Mobile Sonic 2.0 4G LTE hotspot
5V dual out USB cigarette adapter

Software:
ROM: SmoothROM 5.1.
Kernel: Custom build of motley 249, with the power patches from Timur's USB kernel (big thanks for him)

Apps:
Torque Pro (OBD2 .. connects to a ODB2 adapter over bluetooth)
Tasker (to execute things when power is turned on/off)
b0bd's CarManager (manages USB audio devices and deals with pausing the DAC when the power goes off)
b0bd's Radio App (to control the radio tuner)
Waze (GPS navigation, really awesome realtime information)

Home screen

b0bd's Radio screenshot:

Torque screenshot:

Software

b0bd's Radio App

http://www.midml.com/~bob/radio.apk

Custom Flash of the customized motley kernel and CarManager app:

http://www.midml.com...rman_update.zip

(flash using CWM Touch)

·
Android Beginner
332 Posts
Can you talk more about the HD Radio and how it interfaces with the N7. Does your app work with just that specific HD Radio? Id rather put that in instead of a AM/FM radio

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can you talk more about the HD Radio and how it interfaces with the N7. Does your app work with just that specific HD Radio? Id rather put that in instead of a AM/FM radio
sure,

the Nexus 7 is connected via a USB OTG cable to a 4 way hub.

You then can buy a custom built USB to HD radio cable here : http://www.mo-co-so.com/HD-Radio-to-PC-Interface-p/mcs-mjs-hdr.htm

or you can use a USB to RS232 serial cable and custom build a cable, details are here: http://www2.dasilvas.info/hd-radio

Right now the app is custom to the DMHD1000, or the HDZ300 but I've also have been playing with Arduino and considering building an FM tuner controlled by Arduino, but it would only be FM (no AM or HD).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I know this is somewhat an old thread but I have to ask. Could I use this on my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0? I haven't rooted it yet and I have the Visteon HD Radio from my old Jeeputer setup. The only thing I am missing from the Jeeputer to the Jeeptablet is FM radio. I understand I can stream radio but I would like to have FM access for those non data days.

Also, how did you power the Nexus 7 while using the OTG cable? the GT2 7.0 only has the one port and I can't charge the tablet if I'm using the port for USB.

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its been a while, but I've updated the radio app to deal with a couple of crashes, and also issues with detecting the radio when other devices are showing up on the USB bus - on the off chance anyone else is using this app.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Any chance of adding more Presets? I do like the app so far I still get an occasional crash/ but it is much better

THANKS for Making this

·
Registered
13 Posts
bobd,

Any chance I can get the source for the HD Radio tuner? I just need to modify it to be able to use a bluetooth serial port and yours looks directly for usbserial it looks like. It looks great so far though

Thanks!

Jamie

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey b0bd,

That's a very neat mod, you made there. My brother-in-law has a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm curious, what OBD interface are you using for reading data with Torque? What range of sensors and data are you pulling from it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jeff,

I decompiled the apk back to source and started to mess with it some, my main purpose for doing so was to add Bluetooth Support but I realized it would be too difficult to replace the classes in the apk with custom implementations....

Instead, I am reimplementing the program, while using some of bobds messaging format (I think he pulled message formats from the HdRadioController) open source linux application. Either way, I will post the apk here when I am done if you are interested.

If you are interested in figuring out how to hook it up via bluetooth let me know. right now I am using a raspi with a bluetooth dongle with a SPP registered. That raspi is then connected to the HD radio tuner via mitch's usb cable. the whole point was to have a completely wireless solution for my nexus. In addition, I don't need a special kernel (no OTG+charging needed) because there are now no USB devices connected to the nexus. When the whole thing is built out, I will post some pictures...

After I get the app working well I will probably replace the raspi set up with an Ardiuno with BlueSMIRF to a serial cable (like mitch's old cable). This will eliminate the longer boot times of the pi (which I have at around 18 seconds right now).

·
Banned
36 Posts
YEs I would love any details you have for bluetooth connections.. if I do that then I can remove the physical volume control and run it through the tablet. that is one downside to the HD tuner.. Just tell me what I will need to buy to to this and I will I think it will be better than running it through the monitor of the USB DAC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jeff I am nearly done re-implementing this with a caveat or two......

The tablet is connected via bluetooth to a raspberry pi with a custom python script which forwards the bluetooth virtual serial port (/dev/rfcomm0) to the mitch's cable (/dev/ttyUSB0) and vice versa.

The sound does NOT play back through the tablet via bluetooth (it still goes to an audio amp).

That being said...I think I CAN get it so you can control the volume of the radio using the tablets built in audio slider. I access the slider using a custom gesture from GMD gesture APK found in the app store. Was that your end goal?

So to implement my solution you would need a raspberry pi (with a bluetooth dongle) and mitchs USB cable. The only other piece I will need to make is a shutdown circuit for the pi so it shuts down cleanly when I turn the truck off.

Does all of that make sense?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jeff,

Not sure if you are still watching this, but this is where I am,

I got volume control to work within the tablet, in particular:

1. Changing volume via hard buttons on side of tablet changes volume for the tuner and the tablet

2. Changing volume gesture from GMD gesture control changes volume for the tuner and the tablet

3. Changing volume via buttons I have built into the app changes for the tuner and the tablet

Also, I am nearly done with the ability to add an arbitrary number of presets (give me another day or two).

To eliminate the raspberry pi I am going to try to play with a bluetooth to RS232 converter, I just need to find the pinout for the mini din.....if you have seen one laying around it would greatly speed up the implementation.

If we get that last piece all you will need is (2 of which you already have):

1. Tablet with my APK

2. Bluetooth dongle

3. The HD Radio module

We are very close!!

As a bonus here is a screenshot....the gray area at the bottom will be where the presets row is....you will be able to scroll horizontally to see more presets

l6OvjFU.png

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.