Android OS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
bobd,

Any chance I can get the source for the HD Radio tuner? I just need to modify it to be able to use a bluetooth serial port and yours looks directly for usbserial it looks like. It looks great so far though

Thanks!

Jamie

· Registered
13 Posts
Jeff,

I decompiled the apk back to source and started to mess with it some, my main purpose for doing so was to add Bluetooth Support but I realized it would be too difficult to replace the classes in the apk with custom implementations....

Instead, I am reimplementing the program, while using some of bobds messaging format (I think he pulled message formats from the HdRadioController) open source linux application. Either way, I will post the apk here when I am done if you are interested.

If you are interested in figuring out how to hook it up via bluetooth let me know. right now I am using a raspi with a bluetooth dongle with a SPP registered. That raspi is then connected to the HD radio tuner via mitch's usb cable. the whole point was to have a completely wireless solution for my nexus. In addition, I don't need a special kernel (no OTG+charging needed) because there are now no USB devices connected to the nexus. When the whole thing is built out, I will post some pictures...

After I get the app working well I will probably replace the raspi set up with an Ardiuno with BlueSMIRF to a serial cable (like mitch's old cable). This will eliminate the longer boot times of the pi (which I have at around 18 seconds right now).

· Registered
13 Posts
Jeff I am nearly done re-implementing this with a caveat or two......

The tablet is connected via bluetooth to a raspberry pi with a custom python script which forwards the bluetooth virtual serial port (/dev/rfcomm0) to the mitch's cable (/dev/ttyUSB0) and vice versa.

The sound does NOT play back through the tablet via bluetooth (it still goes to an audio amp).

That being said...I think I CAN get it so you can control the volume of the radio using the tablets built in audio slider. I access the slider using a custom gesture from GMD gesture APK found in the app store. Was that your end goal?

So to implement my solution you would need a raspberry pi (with a bluetooth dongle) and mitchs USB cable. The only other piece I will need to make is a shutdown circuit for the pi so it shuts down cleanly when I turn the truck off.

Does all of that make sense?

· Registered
13 Posts
Jeff,

Not sure if you are still watching this, but this is where I am,

I got volume control to work within the tablet, in particular:

1. Changing volume via hard buttons on side of tablet changes volume for the tuner and the tablet

2. Changing volume gesture from GMD gesture control changes volume for the tuner and the tablet

3. Changing volume via buttons I have built into the app changes for the tuner and the tablet

Also, I am nearly done with the ability to add an arbitrary number of presets (give me another day or two).

To eliminate the raspberry pi I am going to try to play with a bluetooth to RS232 converter, I just need to find the pinout for the mini din.....if you have seen one laying around it would greatly speed up the implementation.

If we get that last piece all you will need is (2 of which you already have):

1. Tablet with my APK

2. Bluetooth dongle

3. The HD Radio module

We are very close!!

As a bonus here is a screenshot....the gray area at the bottom will be where the presets row is....you will be able to scroll horizontally to see more presets

l6OvjFU.png

· Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys, sorry I got real busy at work and put this on hold.....I just picked it back up and I am trying to make it wired. Unfortunately, I can't get mitchj's cable to be recognized by the current app. Are you all using mitch's cable or something else? If so, what version of Android are you running?

· Registered
13 Posts
How the heck do you attach a file here?

Not a finished product at all.....but test this with mitches cable and let me know if it works on yours. I am running 4.4.4 with a 2013 nexus (got one for cheap). It should all work though. Also, I don't believe you need root for this. If you can tell me where to upload I will upload the current version.

· Registered
13 Posts
Jeff,

Thanks for the taking it for a test run, I hadn't even thought about running it on an appradio with an android stick....Which version AppRadio is that?

The power button is actually janky for a reason, the HD-Radio module requires three messages to actually power up: Power (On), Volume(some #) and (I think) a tune message (could be a mute off message though). Each one has to be sent with some arbitrary delay, seems to work best with about 300 ms in between resulting in a nasty pause when hitting power.

Other notes, the volume buttons can be long pressed (no need to tap). My radio started doing the really loud volume too....I'll take a look at it to see what it might be

You should look at getting UMD gesture control for killing the app and volume control. I have a gesture which pops up a volume controller (but I am assuming you use your App Radio for volume).

I'll take a look into the AM/FM band thing....shouldn't be too hard to integrate. I'll also take a look into a slide for tuning, might be a bit before I get that one done because I would want it to be more than a simple slider

Does overall stability seem better (as far as crashes) compared to bobd's version?

· Registered
13 Posts
Jeff any reason you aren't using the fm tuner in the app radio?

I am starting to eye the new app radio 4,

When a call come in does it have an indicator on screen even when you are mirroring the android stick? Can you answer and dial a call from the head unit when mirroring in android?

The reason I ask, is I would love to have the nexus7 or an android stick mirror to the app radio and have my phone synced separately, but still be able to answer calls etc. On top of that how are you getting GPS for the android stick?

· Registered
13 Posts
Jeff,

Did you have any issues with interference when you hooked up the HD radio? When I hooked mine up, it won't get a good tune. What is wierd is that I think it is getting its ground connection from the cars antenna. What make this weird is that means it is bypassing the little filter box provided with it. Did you have any issues with it when you hooked it up?

Jamie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.