Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks, I had hoped to get some more done this weekend. But, ordered a mini USB 90 degree adapter by mistake. Now trying to source a micro USB 90 degree adapter instead, but it looks like I can only find them in China (14-30 day shipping to the US). Oh well. Maybe I will get everything delivered in the same week!
How many times did you bang your head against the wall for that one?!
Sucks...

It's funny how a seemingly easy project can turn to be so complicated. When I started mine, I knew it would a while, but not THIS long! It's challenging though... can't wait to see mine installed.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Almost 8 hours of driving with no music is really going to stink.
I bet someone's regretting selling the ipod so soon. lol

·
Registered
593 Posts
LOL, nope. I do regret not ordering a better cable sooner though! Typical that it is scheduled to arrive on Thursday, I work from home tomorrow so could have swapped it out in the evening.
Sucks...

I'm working on a new UI version. Maybe it will give you a few ideas! :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
New OTG cable arrived today, just did a quick test with it and everything is working perfectly. I did not leave the Nexus in the dash tonight as it's currently snowing and cold (yay Spring?). Tomorrow will be a bit of a test as I drive to work and back with it, if all works correctly then it's onto the next step of getting what I need in order to get my steering wheel controls back.
Great news! :)

I'm trying to get my new WD 500Gb to work on the N7, but somehow I get the feeling it's not getting enough juice, as most of the times it doesn't remount after a sudden power loss. Ordered a dual power cable to see if that solves the problem. Oh well... patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
593 Posts
At the weekend I cut the elastic out of some boxer shorts and glued that to the back.
Nice approach!!

I'm having the same problem: figuring out how to secure the tablet to the bezel.

This whole project has turn out to be much more difficult than I thought...

·
Registered
593 Posts
LOL ... I did not want to go hunt down elastic at a fabric store, especially if it might not work. This was free :)

I agree on the difficulty though, getting the basics working has been easy enough, its the fine tuning that is being a bit of a pain for me.
Yep... it really is the fine tuning. Truth is I probably complicated the whole thing by wanting to throw the HDD in the mix but I really wasn't willing to pay the same for a 64Gb Flash Drive as I did for the 500Gb HDD. Really makes no sense to me.

I'm hoping I will receive all the remaining pieces of the puzzle until next month but I really want to make all the installation (cables and stuff) prior to that.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I pulled it out of the car as I am trying to figure out why the SiriusXM app crashes continually, for some reason it works when out of the car. But, in the car, it crashes. It's really odd as nothing changes.
Try and replicate the crash and then check the log to see if you can find anything that explains it. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
04-04 11:44:22.550 I/WindowState(452): WIN DEATH: Window{4191b578 u0 com.sirius/com.sirius.SplashActivity}
04-04 11:44:22.550 I/ActivityManager(452): Process com.sirius (pid 2357) has died.
04-04 11:44:22.550 W/ActivityManager(452): Force removing ActivityRecord{41429838 u0 com.sirius/.SplashActivity}: app died, no saved state
I'm not an expert at all, but this gives me the idea of something related to screen resolution.

After reading this thread it makes even more sense and shows that you're not the only one having that problem.

Edit: what DPI are you currently running the N7 on?

Edit2: ok... I just realized that thread is 6 months old and the problem seems to be solved now. But if you did change the DPI... I say it's worth to try reverting it.

Reactions: naiku

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks, I did find a similar thread to that one, but it looked like it got solved with an update to the app.

I think I have it figured out, it seems that it is something to do with what connections are turned on when you initially open the app. If I reboot, have wifi on and then open the Sirius app, it loads fine. If I exit the app, turn off wifi, and then go back in, it works fine. If I reboot, turn off wifi, then open the app, it crashes instantly. Seems somewhat dumb that I have to initially connect to a wifi network first, but the majority of the time that should not be an issue (can connect to wifi at home, and at the office before I leave). Still, a bit annoying.
That's odd...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yep, and it makes no difference how you are connected to the internet. It has to be via wifi. I tried tethering to my phone via bluetooth, it crashes. Tether via wifi, opens fine. Exit, disconnect wifi, re-open, and its working fine. Really strange.
Have a look at the apps permissions:

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
FULL NETWORK ACCESS
Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
VIEW NETWORK CONNECTIONS
Allows the app to view information about network connections such as which networks exist and are connected.
VIEW WI-FI CONNECTIONS
Allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and name of connected Wi-Fi devices.

As far as I can tell, the application really needs to have access to network connections. What I don't understand is why it doesn't show some kind of error message instead of simply crashing. I would try the app myself, but it says it's not available in my country.

Your best bet is probably to write something on their forum and hope someone will help you out.

Edit: user dorkin had the same problem reported here at Rootzwiki back in October. Maybe he has found the answer...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Back to my project, ordered steering wheel controls this morning, Joycon EXR and the CAN-BUS interface.
Ohhhhh... very nice addition. I'm considering it too... but for the second part of the project, when everything is working great, along with the rearview cam connected to the easycap. Until then it really makes no sense.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Trust me on this, get the steering wheel controls as soon as you can. I have an app that puts a volume slider at the top of the screen, but being able to change volume easily while driving is incredibly difficult. The only piece left for me is the rear view cam, keeping an eye on that piece as it develops before I order an easycap /camera.
I'm still working with my stock radio (and I have no intention of getting rid of it) so volume control is really not an issue. In my case Joycon would only allow me to change tracks and connect the rear camera. That's basically it. I can't think of any other use to it, as I wouldn't be able to control both the stock radio and the N7 at the same time.

That boxer shorts elastic invention is awesome btw!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
naiku... you're a freakin' genious. That whole "Nexus as a BT receiver" idea is wicked mate. I did some search on it also and I think it might be a little hard to achieve though. AFAICT one would have to recode the BT drivers, which is probably a pain. Still... awesome idea!!

·
Registered
593 Posts
No, that app simply lets you use your Nexus to send / receive text messages. What would be (in my opinion) far more valuable, would be an app that can let you use the Nexus as a Bluetooth speakerphone - call comes in, push button on phone to accept call, sound is routed through Nexus.
I sent a mail to the TabletTalk dev to see if he could implement that. I'm still waiting for the answer...

Edit: You're missing something. TabletTalk also allows you to answer/reject calls. :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Seems like you've been real busy this weekend.

I was away for the weekend and couldn't do much, but I'm getting a few days off by the end of the month, I think I might be able to install everything by then.

Regarding the BT receiver, here's Aaron Packer's reply (Tablet Talk dev, pretty accessible guy BTW) to my question:

"A Bluetooth hack would definitely be nice, but I still do not know whether or not it is possible..."

Only think left to do is cross fingers and wait for it!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Any updates on your install mate (other than it works!! lol)?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nothing yet, I noticed my log yesterday that something keeps waking my Nexus up from sleep, but not yet looked into it all that much. My main thought process at the moment is how to attach the new bezel, and whether to try and get an Easycap / reverse camera working.

But, as you said, I am just happy that everything is working nicely at the moment. It's cool getting in, turning the car on and having a ton of music readily available, navigation, streaming etc.
I hear you!! :)

As for the wakeups... check post #2329 on Timur's topic.

·
Registered
593 Posts
That's some heavy duty velcro leo!!! lol My first thought was to use that too (my N7 still has it on the back since it's not yet mounted) but then I found a more secure way to fix it. :)

@naiku: you might have missed my "Mod Shop" thread. Have a look: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/40701-mod-kookies-mod-shop/

·
Registered
593 Posts
DCDC-USB on the way.... also working on something with RedZman that we both are very excited about! Will post details when I have everything in place.

Me likes...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hey naiku...

It's funny you should mention those metal brackets cause that's exactly what I've used to mount mine. eheh

I'm hoping to complete my install next month. Will still give the chinese PSU a try before going with the DCDC-USB.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts