Android OS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Read your thread. Looks awesome. Going to be installing my Nexus 7 in my jeep. Had a comment about your wanting to have calls thru it...Would Google Voice help link that gap? Will be trying to test in the next couple days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a quick test, but I used GrooveIP (the free version worked for me) to receive and place calls. I believe if I have a tasker app set to forward my calls to my google voice number once tethered to the Nexus, I shoud be good. May need to get a USB mic since it'll be in your dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks! What Jeep are you installing it into? we used to have a Grand Cherokee, and one of these days I plan to pick up a Wrangler.

Not sure why, but I always have a hard time with Google Voice. I signed up for it, installed it on my tablet, but when I try to make a call (for example to my house, while connecting to my home wifi) nothing happens. I am sure its just me doing something wrong with it though.
I have a '99 Cherokee. Might have to tweak some settings in Google Voice. I believe with the tablets, you will need an app like GrooveIP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Already have a BT mic that I need to figure out how to get working, I know Kuchar09 has his working. For some reason while mine works making phone calls via Tablet Talk, it does not accept voice input for voice search. It initiates the mic, but does not "record" any input. I have spent no time on it though.
If the mic is connected to the phone for TabletTalk, will it do any voice commands to the Nexus? Or are you saying you have TabletTalk handling phone calls on the tablet?

·
Registered
6 Posts
It should do both, I have been able to successfully use the mic with TabletTalk to make calls, but at the moment when I try to use it for voice commands, the Nexus does not accept the input. I push the little mic button on the screen, start talking, nothing is picked up. I might spend some time tinkering with it at the weekend, being able to say things like "Open maps, go home" and have it open Google maps and navigate home will be really awesome.
Forgive me if I seem confused...I thought TabletTalk did not handle the calls, just making your phone handle the calls. The bluetooth mic would have to be connected to the phone, and not the Nexus to talk to the person on the other end of the phone convo...How could it be connected to both at the same time, and do the phone call thing, then right away do a voice command/voice search on the Nexus?

·
Registered
6 Posts
No problem.... I believe TabletTalk used to only handle text messages, however it now has an additional module to handle phone calls. When I say handle phone calls though, it really just tells my phone what to do... I can dial from the Nexus, or when a call comes in, notification pops up on the screen and I can answer. The bluetooth mic does have to be connected to the phone, but is also connected to Nexus. My phone can stay in my pocket, and the Nexus tells it to either pick up, or make a call. The voice piece then goes through the BT mic.

I don't know if I already wrote this, and maybe that is where the confusion comes in. But, I am using a Jabra speakerphone as a BT mic. It can connect to more than 1 device at a time, so connects to both the Nexus and my phone. Hope that makes sense, sorry if I am not being clear.
No worries...That is where I was confused, that the Jabra was connected to both at once. Makes perfect sense now. Appreciate you taking the time to claify.

I'm really pleased with how I have it working. Forward all calls to Google Voice once wifi tether is on, they then ring on the tablet, I answer on the tablet, the call is played through car speakers. I can place calls from the tablet, but they'll come from my google voice number. So far, thats not an issue, as most know both anyway. I am currently testing this in my '12 Jetta that has AUX in. Need to look into getting a USB mic to test, as the Nexus mic does not pick up too well set up in my gauge cluster. (I use Ulysse Speed-odometer that has a overlay widget that will overlay everything, since I'm blocking the car speedo.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts