Android OS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
For me I just ordered a bezel that is made for a typical Double DIN head unit. Then I trimmed anything off the back to allow the Nexus to sit flush against it. What car do you have? most of them have something similar available? especially if you have room for a double DIN head unit.
I have a 2002 Toyota Celica. I have a double din opening, but the stereo is in that currently. I could move that elsewhere though if needed.

I'm still not sure how you have the Nexus secured down in there. It seems like it would just move around unless it was bolted/screwed down somehow. I could see a simple way of holding it in would be to make a box around it (all but the front) then a bezel to hold the front in place.

Wow, just found this. I think something like this would work perfectly for my setup.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2459432

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ahh that makes more sense and is what I guessed. It must just be leaning against something then in those pictures where the bezel isn't on, or it is taped on the back.

I will have to pull my stereo out to see what fitment is like. I will probably have to transplant my stereo into the upper compartment like this example.

The box in the impreza idea would likely work better for me because the Nexus wouldn't have anything to lean against with the stereo removed. I live the idea of using that snap in case to make it removable if needed as well.

I will need to keep my stereo since I am running a 3-way active setup with my component speakers. I planned upgrading my stereo to one with a USB input and using the Timur's USB Audio kernel to get the best sound digital sound from it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It seems like if you travel enough you could just leave the Nexus on in standby since they last quite awhile that way. You could then just let it charge once you get in the car again.

Post some more pictures on your solution to get it flush with the bezel once you get that done. I'm interested to see what you come up with. I have kind of held off on my N7 intall since the N7 v2 is soon to release and I am going to wait until it is a little warmer out to start working on the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I will be honest that I don't check back here much as everything works. For the USB hub I would get one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-7-Port-USB-2-0-adapter/dp/B003L18Z4S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400873225&sr=1-1&keywords=monoprice+usb+hub

It's not the exact one I have, but looks like you could hook it up to the DCDC-USB the same way that I have done. Splice a female USB port onto one pair of the DCDC-USB outputs, plug in the USB cable supplied with the hub and its powered. For the charging cable I am using the stock Nexus cable, plugged into a 2nd USB port on the DCDC-USB hub and just a generic OTG-Y cable.
No problem. I have been working on some other parts of my car anyways. Couldn't you use something like this one and just cut off the power adapter and wire it right into the cigarette lighter or use a tap a fuse since it runs off of 12V DC.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Charge-Only-Adapter-3-5-foot-Included/dp/B00B7FLPBU

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.