Android OS Forum banner
121 - 140 of 161 Posts
Discussion starter · #121 ·
I'm a little lost now regarding the DCDC-USB config. I was having a look at the manuals, but as I didn't get the package yet so I couldn't fiddle with it to figure it out. Should I be looking to set it in Automotive or plain UPS mode? If I understood it correctly Automotive mode requires the aux input to be connected to keep the PSU powered and will work as a UPS, right?
You have a couple options depending on what you want it to do, I initially just ran mine in "dumb" mode. That was simply providing it with a GND and switched 12v, this worked fine for me, and may for you as well. To put it in automotive mode, you just have to provide it with GND, switched 12v and constant 12v. From my understanding the biggest advantage with automotive mode, is the delays you can program into it to prevent turn on/off thumps on amplifiers. The aux input is what you can use to send the remote turn on signal to an amplifier (I don't use this, I have an MS8 that gets power first, and then powers on amplifiers).

Hope that helps.

You have a couple options depending on what you want it to do, I initially just ran mine in "dumb" mode. That was simply providing it with a GND and switched 12v, this worked fine for me, and may for you as well. To put it in automotive mode, you just have to provide it with GND, switched 12v and constant 12v. From my understanding the biggest advantage with automotive mode, is the delays you can program into it to prevent turn on/off thumps on amplifiers. The aux input is what you can use to send the remote turn on signal to an amplifier (I don't use this, I have an MS8 that gets power first, and then powers on amplifiers).

Hope that helps.
In my particular case, this will also prevent the from triggering the PEM on the N7 and aborting almost instantly when I turn the key from *accessory* to *ignition*. This has caused me some problems already. Sometimes, when this happens, PEM will freeze, causing the N7 to reboot. When it doesn't reboot, the PEM will then prevent the tablet from entering deep sleep whenever it detects a power loss (which has cost me about 50% battery a few days ago). Plus... will also prevent my HDD from losing power for about a second, which can't be good to its health at all.

So... yeah, it helped. Thanks mate. All I have to do now is to get my hands on it and start configuring.

How did you end up setting the wires anyway?

Discussion starter · #123 ·
All my wiring is tied into an aftermarket radio harness that I picked up, it plugs direct into the factory harness, and makes it pretty easy for wiring up power. From that I have the constant, switched and ground into the DCDC-USB, then I soldered a female USB port onto each of the DCDC-USB outputs. On one side the Nexus OTG cable is plugged in, and on the other power for my USB hub.

All my wiring is tied into an aftermarket radio harness that I picked up, it plugs direct into the factory harness, and makes it pretty easy for wiring up power. From that I have the constant, switched and ground into the DCDC-USB, then I soldered a female USB port onto each of the DCDC-USB outputs. On one side the Nexus OTG cable is plugged in, and on the other power for my USB hub.
Huh... the DCDC-USB has two outputs?
I didn't see that on the manual.

Guess I'll be able to wire a cooling fan to it also. lol

Yep, 2 sets of outputs. You can't specifiy individual voltage to each set though, so both are 5v, or 5.4v, or whatever you have it set at.
Here's hoping 5.4v won't fry the fan... lol

Thanks mate! :)

Discussion starter · #127 ·
Jabra Journey arrived today, works perfectly with Tablet Talk. Next step is to try to get it working with voice search on the Nexus, and see if I can program the voice button on my steering wheel to trigger that function on the Nexus. At the moment the steering wheel button gets recognized as the same resistance as turning up the volume, I need to take the Joycon out and try to change the sensitivity and see if that gives me the extra button.

The other piece is finding somewhere to put the Jabra, while it mounts fine on the visor, and is not big, I don't like having things hanging in my view. There is a pocket under the steering wheel though that I think I can use to mount it. Since I don't need access to the buttons, its not a big deal for it to be out of sight as long as the sound / microphone works well enough.

Discussion starter · #128 ·
Spent some time yesterday trying to get the voice button on my steering wheel to work. I have the following buttons on the wheel (from left to right)

1 - Jog scroll wheel - I have this set as track forward/back and clicking it in as play/pause
2 - Mode button - Not programmed to anything
3 - OEM BT button - Not programmed to anything, but I want to program this to start voice search
4 - Jog scroll wheel - Volume up/down, click to Mute.

I want to get button 3 working, but if I use one input on the Joycon, it reads the same resistance value as the Mute regardless of where I adjust the input sensitivity. I had the idea that I could tie that button to input A (I currently have input B handling buttons 1 and 4) and by adjusting the sensitivity, it reads as a different value on a different input, essentially giving me that extra button to program. After firing up Joycon explorer, I map the button to Alt +V (no real reason, just testing), connect up both inputs, and it does not work. If I press button 3 it reads correctly, but both buttons 1 and 4 now no longer work (reading an entirely different value to what I have them mapped as). The second that I disconnect Input A, anything on Input B works fine again.

At the weekend I may toy around with it some more, I really think it will be helpful to get butons 2 and 3 programmed. I might adust Input B sensitivity, and see what that does for me. Kind of annoying so far though.

My test location of the Jabra Journey did not work out either, I had it mounted under my steering wheel. But, on a call my wife could barely hear me, so that somewhat rules that location out. I think that was about my only option, so it is looking like I will have to leave it on the visor.

Keep up the good work man! This is really coming along nicely. I too have run into charging issues. I had mine plugged into my USB hub for charging.. but have since broke out the N7 power and ran it directly to the same 10A 5v supply that's feeding the hub. Works great under normal charge, and fast charge.

Discussion starter · #132 ·
Version 2 of the launcher:

Screenshot_2013-09-04-16-20-15_zpsd8a837

Not yet 100% happy with it though, mostly because I don't want to use the Apollo widget, but just want a simple text widget that shows what is playing (kind of similar to how there is something in the notification area, I have looked at using %MTrack, but not sure if it works with Apollo, and having a hard time figuring it out).

Touching the temperature/weather icon opens the weather app, likewise the date opens the Calendar app.

Read your thread. Looks awesome. Going to be installing my Nexus 7 in my jeep. Had a comment about your wanting to have calls thru it...Would Google Voice help link that gap? Will be trying to test in the next couple days.

Read your thread. Looks awesome. Going to be installing my Nexus 7 in my jeep. Had a comment about your wanting to have calls thru it...Would Google Voice help link that gap? Will be trying to test in the next couple days.
Thanks! What Jeep are you installing it into? we used to have a Grand Cherokee, and one of these days I plan to pick up a Wrangler.

Not sure why, but I always have a hard time with Google Voice. I signed up for it, installed it on my tablet, but when I try to make a call (for example to my house, while connecting to my home wifi) nothing happens. I am sure its just me doing something wrong with it though.

Just a quick test, but I used GrooveIP (the free version worked for me) to receive and place calls. I believe if I have a tasker app set to forward my calls to my google voice number once tethered to the Nexus, I shoud be good. May need to get a USB mic since it'll be in your dash.

Thanks! What Jeep are you installing it into? we used to have a Grand Cherokee, and one of these days I plan to pick up a Wrangler.

Not sure why, but I always have a hard time with Google Voice. I signed up for it, installed it on my tablet, but when I try to make a call (for example to my house, while connecting to my home wifi) nothing happens. I am sure its just me doing something wrong with it though.
I have a '99 Cherokee. Might have to tweak some settings in Google Voice. I believe with the tablets, you will need an app like GrooveIP.

Discussion starter · #139 ·
Just a quick test, but I used GrooveIP (the free version worked for me) to receive and place calls. I believe if I have a tasker app set to forward my calls to my google voice number once tethered to the Nexus, I shoud be good. May need to get a USB mic since it'll be in your dash.
Already have a BT mic that I need to figure out how to get working, I know Kuchar09 has his working. For some reason while mine works making phone calls via Tablet Talk, it does not accept voice input for voice search. It initiates the mic, but does not "record" any input. I have spent no time on it though.

Woah.....what app is that in the last photo you posted??? It looks INCREDIBLE!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
Thanks, it's a sort of combination of things. First I pulled a stock image of an RNS-E from Google for the background, then opened it in Photoshop to clear out all of the Audi icons/apps that were on there. I then used a screenshot from my Nexus to get the icons and added the text. Copied that back over to the Nexus and am then using UCCW to create hotspots over the apps themselves, and custom widgets for the weather / date.

I noticed today though I need to resize the weather conditions piece, for example today it was showing as "Partly Cloudy" but the last 2 letters were being cut off.

Already have a BT mic that I need to figure out how to get working, I know Kuchar09 has his working. For some reason while mine works making phone calls via Tablet Talk, it does not accept voice input for voice search. It initiates the mic, but does not "record" any input. I have spent no time on it though.
If the mic is connected to the phone for TabletTalk, will it do any voice commands to the Nexus? Or are you saying you have TabletTalk handling phone calls on the tablet?

121 - 140 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.