Android OS Forum banner
141 - 160 of 161 Posts
Discussion starter · #141 ·
If the mic is connected to the phone for TabletTalk, will it do any voice commands to the Nexus? Or are you saying you have TabletTalk handling phone calls on the tablet?
It should do both, I have been able to successfully use the mic with TabletTalk to make calls, but at the moment when I try to use it for voice commands, the Nexus does not accept the input. I push the little mic button on the screen, start talking, nothing is picked up. I might spend some time tinkering with it at the weekend, being able to say things like "Open maps, go home" and have it open Google maps and navigate home will be really awesome.

It should do both, I have been able to successfully use the mic with TabletTalk to make calls, but at the moment when I try to use it for voice commands, the Nexus does not accept the input. I push the little mic button on the screen, start talking, nothing is picked up. I might spend some time tinkering with it at the weekend, being able to say things like "Open maps, go home" and have it open Google maps and navigate home will be really awesome.
Forgive me if I seem confused...I thought TabletTalk did not handle the calls, just making your phone handle the calls. The bluetooth mic would have to be connected to the phone, and not the Nexus to talk to the person on the other end of the phone convo...How could it be connected to both at the same time, and do the phone call thing, then right away do a voice command/voice search on the Nexus?

Discussion starter · #143 ·
Forgive me if I seem confused...I thought TabletTalk did not handle the calls, just making your phone handle the calls. The bluetooth mic would have to be connected to the phone, and not the Nexus to talk to the person on the other end of the phone convo...How could it be connected to both at the same time, and do the phone call thing, then right away do a voice command/voice search on the Nexus?
No problem.... I believe TabletTalk used to only handle text messages, however it now has an additional module to handle phone calls. When I say handle phone calls though, it really just tells my phone what to do... I can dial from the Nexus, or when a call comes in, notification pops up on the screen and I can answer. The bluetooth mic does have to be connected to the phone, but is also connected to Nexus. My phone can stay in my pocket, and the Nexus tells it to either pick up, or make a call. The voice piece then goes through the BT mic.

I don't know if I already wrote this, and maybe that is where the confusion comes in. But, I am using a Jabra speakerphone as a BT mic. It can connect to more than 1 device at a time, so connects to both the Nexus and my phone. Hope that makes sense, sorry if I am not being clear.

No problem.... I believe TabletTalk used to only handle text messages, however it now has an additional module to handle phone calls. When I say handle phone calls though, it really just tells my phone what to do... I can dial from the Nexus, or when a call comes in, notification pops up on the screen and I can answer. The bluetooth mic does have to be connected to the phone, but is also connected to Nexus. My phone can stay in my pocket, and the Nexus tells it to either pick up, or make a call. The voice piece then goes through the BT mic.

I don't know if I already wrote this, and maybe that is where the confusion comes in. But, I am using a Jabra speakerphone as a BT mic. It can connect to more than 1 device at a time, so connects to both the Nexus and my phone. Hope that makes sense, sorry if I am not being clear.
No worries...That is where I was confused, that the Jabra was connected to both at once. Makes perfect sense now. Appreciate you taking the time to claify.

I'm really pleased with how I have it working. Forward all calls to Google Voice once wifi tether is on, they then ring on the tablet, I answer on the tablet, the call is played through car speakers. I can place calls from the tablet, but they'll come from my google voice number. So far, thats not an issue, as most know both anyway. I am currently testing this in my '12 Jetta that has AUX in. Need to look into getting a USB mic to test, as the Nexus mic does not pick up too well set up in my gauge cluster. (I use Ulysse Speed-odometer that has a overlay widget that will overlay everything, since I'm blocking the car speedo.)

Hey naiku...

I haven't forgotten you mate... just didn't have the time yet to check the Tasker settings. I drive my car little to none during the week and spare time is not abundant right now. I promise to look into it this weekend. :)

Reactions: naiku and zedd82
DSC_0354_zpsf23050a6.jpg

Finally getting happy with how things look in the dash, now working on creating my own custom launcher.
Where did you get that fascia adaptor from? I got this one for a 2002 Audi A4....

ds_FP-05-07-.jpg&w=350&h=284.083333333&f

....Which I will need to fit in my dash, but the bezel is much thinner at both top and bottom, and doesn't have that sort of 3D border effect, making it less eye candy than yours. Does your fascia have rubber feeling type coating too (simulating standard audi dash), or is it just normal paint sprayed plastic?

I would like to try one like yours, but I'm not either sure if it will fit without too much cutting and where to start looking for it...

Can u provide me with self measured real dimensions of your bezel, since the sellers always kinda forget/fail to display those? if its not much to ask ofc...

Btw your In-dash is looking very good! I'm doing myself an In-dash on my 8L facelift Audi S3. I will post about it sometime soon. Keep up. :emoji_u1f603:

Hi xapt3r5, I originally had a similar bezel (you can see it in earlier posts) without the 3D border, and agree it does not look as nice. This new one does indeed match the plastic/rubber coating of the Audi dash perfectly.

I am not sure where you are located, but based off the fact you have an S3, I am guessing not in the US (S3 was never available here... booooo). I bought the fascia from enfigcarstereo.com, it comes as a kit with various other brackets that I did not need. I ended up calling the company, and they sold me just the plastic trim pieces. It came as 2 pieces, but unfortunately I could not use the back piece (too small to fit the Nexus). If I was able to use that it would have made it a really nice secure mount for the tablet. If you decide to call enfig, ask to speak to Christian as he was very helpful when I was looking for parts. Try a search for Connects2 A3 fascia / bezel as well, that may get you in the right direction.

The actual fascia that you can see did not require too much cutting. The lip that the Nexus is against was probably 3-4mm deeper than it is now, and there were also 4 clips (that would have connected to the back piece) that I had to remove. Other than that it fits pretty well. I will try to take you measurements tomorrow sometime, assuming you want length at the top and bottom, and the width?

I'm from Portugal. Unfortunately, no 2DIN fascia available for the 8L make of A3/S3, anywhere. I could only find for the 8P make and this one is simply out of the equation, as both the shape and placement have drastically changed on newer models. I thoroughly searched the web, trust me. Have read through the forums and asked about it only to be told that I would have to get one for the A4 and slightly cut the edges so I can actually fit it, cause, maybe you're not aware but, the A3 dash is a bit narrower in the middle console than the A4. I have no other choice mate. :lame:

A real pain, I know.. But apparently, this is rated as the most cheap, straight forward solution, there is, for the 8L make and, hey, at least I end up with close to a proper bezel.

A3/S3 8L console with stock 2 DIN symphony II radio and dimensions:

symphonya3.jpg

A3/S3 8P console 2DIN radio (aftermarket dimensions equal to stock):

gallery1.jpg

Yes, I want height, width (top and bottom), like in picture above, please..

My main concern now is, since there are many makes of A4 as well, I can assume the console has suffered design changes and dimensions are different from each other, so now I wanted to be clear of what fascia would be a good DIY fit for my S3. Wanted to be sure if your 2006 A4 tascia is bigger or smaller than the 2002 type I got, for instance.

If it turn out to be bigger, and I have to cut a lot of plastic, maybe not worth the try...

EDIT: Btw, how much did you pay for only those 2 plastic trim pieces? I think I've found that exact same fascia you have at:

http://enfigcarstereo.com/CONNECTS2_CT24AU06R_V2.html

But, they sell it for 40$, woah!.. :O

Seems a bit too much for just two pieces of plastic!

Discussion starter · #150 ·
xapt3r5 - Sorry for taking so long getting those measurements for you. It measures 232mm (top) 225mm (bottom) and 127mm height. Looking at your measurements above, I would say you have minimal cutting to do.

I forget exactly how much I paid for the 2 pieces, but I bought it from that site. Call them up though, you only need the front piece and if I remember correctly they had a returned one (the back piece was chipped/scratched) so let me have it slightly cheaper. It's worth the price though for how much better it matches the Audi dash finish alone, the trim I had previously looked cheap and did not match at all.

No problem mate. That's great news, I thought it was nothing near the A3 frame! So I guess I just need to cut slightly the bottom and try to match the A3's 226mm wide while making it 125 height all in one (I hope). I only have to be more careful along the sides, at the top, though.

If only I knew about this before, I could have save some...

I doubled my effort and made another research for CONNECTS2 retailers and found some in Europe (Portugal included), that could have that fascia. The problem is they, either don't seem to have the "rubber touch" version of that fascia, or they don't really name a price for it (making it hard to even consider an order). I found it in Germany, for instance, but the 2 websites I visited aren't properly functioning as online stores. All other Country stores came up too expensive (even more than Enfig). Anyway,I found there is one CONNECTS2 retailer here in Portugal, about 20miles from here to be honest (Who would've thought?!.. :lol: ). Looks like they have the standard plastic fascia on stock, and they sell it for like 10$ more than Enfig. But I won't order it. I think I will pay them a visit, instead and ask them for how much can they get me the "rouber touch".

I'll see where I can go from here. Thanks a lot man! :emoji_u1f603:

Reactions: naiku
If only I knew about this before, I could have save some...
Ha, look through my project. I could have probably saved around $100 if I knew straight off what to buy... lets see.... 1 x dash trim (this was my call though as I wanted to buy a cheap one initially to make sure I could get things to fit).... I think I destroyed 3 USB hubs in attempts to power them, various wires/connectors etc. All worth it though.

Great news that you might have found somewhere close by to pick one up. You may find that when you have it, the amount that needs cutting is even less. I could only find a tape measure with inches, so had to convert over to mm. I believe it is VERY close in size though.

What I do find crazy is that there is nothing available directly for the A3. I thought they were fairly popular cars, so it's odd that no company makes anything that fits direct. Fingers crossed you can get the connects2 and have it fit nicely. Looking forward to pictures.

Hi naiku, sorry to you, Timur and Rootzwiki for being such a thread hijacker.. haha :D I'll start a topic of my own ASAP, and when I do it, I'll gather there all the info I have previously posted, I promise.. :)

Thanks, for keeping your fingers crossed! Took me some time to deal with the guys at Distriacustica. The workshop, itself is located about 10 miles, north of Leiria and its relatively near my home town. I payed them a visit, but they were already closed. I went home and send them an email, asking if they could get me only the 3 piece kit in rubber, and they said - no problem - just had to wait a week or so, cause they needed to order it directly from their supplier, Connects2. Costed me, 42,44 Euros (around 58 USD), shipping included.

http://www.distriacustica.pt/acessorios-por-marca-audi-a4/730-01au08pro-aro-adap-12din-audi-a4-281320-12-1-4026724832129.html

Eventually I wanted to see some work done and I started experimenting with what I had ATM... Ultimately I found out, both the A4 fascia models had exactly the same size and, I needed to cut exatly the same amount for the newer model. This is like, what everyone has to do, in order to have an 8L A3/S3 fascia fit: cut 8mm (0.315in) parallel with the bottom and 1,5mm (0.06in) along the sides, perpendicular with the top. I did some marking lines first, with the help of a caliper, a square and a precision ruler.

Here are some pictures of the work in progress:

Foto_075.jpg
Foto_070.jpg
Foto_073.jpg

IMG_20000101_002620.jpg
IMG_20000101_000316.jpg
IMG_20000101_000654.jpg

IMG_20000101_002459.jpg
IMG_20000101_171520.jpg
IMG_20000101_171447.jpg

And that's about it, for now. I still need to drill the holes for the Symphony volume+power switch/tone knobs and sort out a better placement for the N7 inside, while combining other fixing and cooling elements, around or in the back of it, that I haven't quite figure out yet how to, or if they fit at all, such as: aluminium foil, corrugated or perforated aluminium plate, rubber sticks, dual lock(velcro), sticky foam, leather, magnets, etc...

Allways on the run.. Cheers :cool:

Discussion starter · #154 ·
^^^ Looking great, I keep tabs on your project through the posts in TImur's main thread!! Glad that you are making great progress, it really looks good in the A3 dash.

Discussion starter · #156 ·
So having done this already which OTG + charging cable and USB Hub would you get? This one still for the hub?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Mountable-Rugged-Industrial-ST4200USBM/dp/B001H7AFO6

Timur is supposed to relese the kernel for the 2013 Nexus 7 in May, so I am going to buy all the acessories I need soon.
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I will be honest that I don't check back here much as everything works. For the USB hub I would get one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-7-Port-USB-2-0-adapter/dp/B003L18Z4S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400873225&sr=1-1&keywords=monoprice+usb+hub

It's not the exact one I have, but looks like you could hook it up to the DCDC-USB the same way that I have done. Splice a female USB port onto one pair of the DCDC-USB outputs, plug in the USB cable supplied with the hub and its powered. For the charging cable I am using the stock Nexus cable, plugged into a 2nd USB port on the DCDC-USB hub and just a generic OTG-Y cable.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I will be honest that I don't check back here much as everything works. For the USB hub I would get one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-7-Port-USB-2-0-adapter/dp/B003L18Z4S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400873225&sr=1-1&keywords=monoprice+usb+hub

It's not the exact one I have, but looks like you could hook it up to the DCDC-USB the same way that I have done. Splice a female USB port onto one pair of the DCDC-USB outputs, plug in the USB cable supplied with the hub and its powered. For the charging cable I am using the stock Nexus cable, plugged into a 2nd USB port on the DCDC-USB hub and just a generic OTG-Y cable.
No problem. I have been working on some other parts of my car anyways. Couldn't you use something like this one and just cut off the power adapter and wire it right into the cigarette lighter or use a tap a fuse since it runs off of 12V DC.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Charge-Only-Adapter-3-5-foot-Included/dp/B00B7FLPBU

Discussion starter · #158 ·
No problem. I have been working on some other parts of my car anyways. Couldn't you use something like this one and just cut off the power adapter and wire it right into the cigarette lighter or use a tap a fuse since it runs off of 12V DC.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker%C2%AE-Charge-Only-Adapter-3-5-foot-Included/dp/B00B7FLPBU
You could absolutely use that hub, I just like being able to use a USB cable and plug it into the DCDC-USB power brick without cutting anything.

Great job love this thread will be referring to this allot as I start my project. Question in the picture below what app did you use to get the statusbar on the bottom with the navbar and the navbar on the left side. What app is doing that?

Screenshot_2013-09-04-16-20-15_zpsd8a837

Great job love this thread will be referring to this allot as I start my project. Question in the picture below what app did you use to get the statusbar on the bottom with the navbar and the navbar on the left side. What app is doing that?
Not an app, but a USB rom feature. Go to Settings>System>USB Host, scroll down a few on the right until you find "User Interface" and activate Landscape UI.

It's a real pitt y that people have neglected this site, and stopped sharing their experiences/knowledge. I'm feeling more people are getting interested about this sort of projects everyday, and they could really benefit a lot from this community, as much as I did before.

141 - 160 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.