Android OS Forum banner

2006 Audi A4 - In Dash Install

100K views 160 replies 23 participants last post by  naiku 
#1 ·
I figure since I am using Timur's ROM, it makes sense for me to start somewhat of a build log on here of the install I am working on in my vehicle. Ever since I bought the car I have been annoyed/disappointed with the factory stereo, for one thing it has a tape deck (why a car made in 2006 has a tape deck, is something that will forever confuse me). It also has no bluetooth, no GPS, no way to add an aux input except using a cassette type adaptor. All in all, its pretty limited. My options for replacing it were either an RNS-E ($800+) or an aftermarket unit (cost of aftermarket unit + approximately $200 in wiring to get it functional).

I have already replaced everything downstream of the head unit, starting with a JBL MS8, I then have a pair of Alpine amplifiers running all of my speakers. The sound is good, but just something about the original head unit always bugged me. On an Audi forum I am a member of, I recently saw someone had mentioned they were looking to install an iPad into their dash. That got the wheels turning, and before you know it. I was holding my wifes Kindle Fire up to the dash.

Since the fitment was good, I decided to go ahead with the project. Bought a 16GB Nexus 7, I went with the 16GB because I don't plan to store a whole lot on the tablet itself. I also started ordering a bunch of supplies that I would need:

Dash kit
12V DC-DC Regulator
Fuse Tap
OTG Cable
USB Hub
90 degree mini USB connector
Sabre USB-DAC

I thought about leaving the Nexus stock for a couple weeks, but after about a day rooted it and flashed with Timur's USB ROM. I removed my stock head unit from the car, plugged the JBL MS8 into the 3.5mm output, and nothing. I then realized that the MS8 currently gets a remote turn on signal from my OEM head unit. Currently I am trying to locate a switchable 12V somewhere, but likely will end up using the fuse tap.

Here is where things look so far:

The kit is not pushed all the way back in, this was really just for test fitment purposes. Since I don't yet have the fuse tap, I want to keep my OEM head unit in there for a couple more weeks. Mental note: If you think you are going to sneeze when using a Dremel, switch off the Dremel:

In order to get the Nexus to sit flush, I had to dremel off some material on the back of the dash kit. The scratch is only noticeable at certain angles, but I may well pick up another dash kit at some point. Once my 90 degree USB connector arrives I need to figure out which of the area's in red below I need to cut some away from. They are simply plastic, that I think help hold the stock head unit in place. So I should be able to cut a notch out for the USB cable to go through:

That's about the extent of my progress for now. As I am currently waiting on a few things to arrive in the mail. Ultimately I will have the Nexus semi permanent in the dash (I want to be able to remove it if parked in high crime areas), USB-OTG cable plugged in, then a USB hub, with the USB-DAC sending signal to the MS8, and an iPod flashed with Rockbox as external storage in the glovebox for music. I plan to use my cell phone and bluetooth tethering for streaming music / navigation. At some point I am also going to pick up a Connects2 harness and Joycon to retain my steering wheel controls, and am also keeping an eye on the useage of an easycap in order to add a back up cam.

OK, enough writing for now. Once I get some more progress made I will update the thread.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks, I had hoped to get some more done this weekend. But, ordered a mini USB 90 degree adapter by mistake. Now trying to source a micro USB 90 degree adapter instead, but it looks like I can only find them in China (14-30 day shipping to the US). Oh well. Maybe I will get everything delivered in the same week!

#7 ·
Had an issue that the USB hub I ordered was not playing nicely with my iPod. So after thinking about it some, I ended up selling the iPod and picked up a 64GB USB flash drive. Dumped the iPod as I rarely use it (use my phone when on my bike) and figured it would be a pain having to switch it on each time I wanted to listen to music.

Flash drive arrived today, so I immediately plugged it into the hub... nothing?? WTF. Unplugged it, plugged directly into the OTG cable, again nothing? Then I plugged it into my laptop which recognized it, so I again tried plugged into the USB Hub --> OTG Cable --> Nexus and success! Copied about 30GB of music over, plugged in again and all my music is now showing up.

90 degree micro USB adapter should hopefully arrive tomorrow (was in NY yesterday, and I am in VA). Fingers crossed it gets here tomorrow and I can start wiring things up while waiting on the last piece of the puzzle (USB-DAC).

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
90 degree micro USB adapters arrived today, both work fine. My USB-DAC was also (sort of) delivered today. For some reason, despite me being home all day (I work from home on Mondays) they could not deliver it and left me a notice in my mailbox, and the earliest I can get there is Wednesday.

Edit: The post office called me and said I can collect it today, so of course I jumped in the car and drove down there. The USB-DAC is tiny, probably the size of a matchbox. I wanted to do some back to back comparisons, but realized my headphones are in the office.

The USB-HUB and Nexus showed the USB-DAC correctly, and my flash drive. What's odd though is that sometimes it acts as though it loses the connection to the hub (and so everything connected to it). I get the feeling I may have to pick up a powered USB hub, but will only know for sure once its wired into the car.

#9 ·
I posted this in Timur's ROM thread as a couple people in there were waiting on some feedback of how the USB-DAC sounds, but figure I would also copy it here:

My Sabre DAC arrived on Monday, while I have not yet hooked it up in the car, I have played with it some in the house. All I can say is.... WOW!!! Seriously, the little box blows me away. I plugged it into my laptop, then into my Onkyo amplifier driving a pair of Polk Monitor 70's in stereo mode. Turned the volume up almost full on my laptop (24 out of 25) and then set the amplifier to about 2/3 volume.

Started playing Lana Del Rey - Off to the Races, it sounds unbelievable. I then stopped the song, unplugged the DAC and plugged directly into my laptops 3.5mm output, same volume on laptop, amplifier and same song. It sounds sooooooooo flat, vocals are much flatter and not as focused, bass is nowhere near as good. If I was not working currently I would just go sit on the couch blasting music all afternoon.

I cannot wait to get this into my car now, I get the feeling paired with my JBL MS8 it is going to sound very impressive.

So, now apart from a couple pieces of wiring that I need (just to extend power wire) I have everything I need to get the Nexus installed. I may try to work on it a little this evening, at least trying to find a switchable 12v source in the trunk to turn my MS8 on. Currently the OEM head unit turns on the MS8, when I remove that, it does not turn on. So I may try to find a switchable 12v in the trunk for that this evening, and also see about cutting a slot for the USB cable to go through at the side of the Nexus.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey,just posted an answer to your tasker issue on XDA.Let me know if you need more help but the photos should set you in the right direction.
Thanks, will check that out in a second. Started soldering wires together this evening, some of the USB ones are tough as they are so small. Hopefully all my connections are good. Sometime Sunday I hope to post a decent update.

Just read the xda post, those pictures were really helpful, installing the helper on secure settings did the trick, airplane mode right there.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi naiku, I added your build log to my thread http://rootzwiki.com...ic/37755-timurs - hoping this is OK.
Timur
100% OK with me, thanks.

Bit of an update from today...

Safety first when working on the car.

Pulled out the glovebox, knee bolster on the drivers side and trunk trim in order to run wiring. I had to run a new remote turn on wire to my MS8 as there is no switchable 12v in the trunk. Power and ground to the fuse box area, and I wanted to run a USB extension into the glovebox for my flash drive.

For now I ended up removing the inline fuse that I was using behind the fuse box on the 12v going to the 12v regulator, I may add it again, but have it tapped into a fused circuit, so not sure I need to.

Here is how the trunk looks with everything put back together

The door on the MS8 stays closed, but the one that covers the sub goes inwards, so I can't use it. I fabricated a grill to go in place of the door, but am struggling to find any matching carpet to cover it with.

I got 99% of things working today, my ground wire to the USB hub needs to be re-done. The wires are so thin that the splice was not working, for now I just have them twisted together. I did get music playing through the MS8, and my USB flash drive was mounting fine. The other issue I am running into is when I turn off the ignition, the hub loses power instantly, causing the Nexus to give me a warning about improper removal of USB storage. I am trying to find out if there is a way to use Tasker to unmount the storage. But, I don't think I can get it to work, as the second the ignition goes off, the hub loses power. I may just have to manually unmount each time (which sucks).

The other thing is that I need to trim some more plastic to the right of the tablet, due to the 90 degree micro USB adapter, and charger cable, the dash trim does not seem to fit in properly. I am planning to finish these pieces up tomorrow, and then see how it does with my commute to work on Tuesday.

#15 ·
Thanks, I may take a look into those.

Another update from today, got 99% of things back together, but kept running into an issue that the sound kept cutting out. Turns out that because there is such tight space to the right of the tablet where the USB gets plugged in, when I push the dash trim into place, it pushes the cable to a slight angle which, while the power remains to the tablet, it must be moving the USB plug off the data pins as I lose the hub.

Tried dremelling a couple different spots, and re-routing the cable, but at the moment I am not sure how to get around it. It might be that I just need a bit of luck pushing it in, and then once it's set in the car, leave it. But, I want to be able to remove the tablet now and again (parked in bad areas etc) and don't want to then spend 20 minutes trying to get the USB back in smoothly and retain sound.

I also need to find some kind of block to put behind the tablet to push it forward some. At the moment there is about a 10mm gap at the top, the dash trim is at an almost vertical angle. While the piece the Nexus rests against is angled inwards at the top. While its useable like that, it looks like crap, and when I push the screen in certain area's it moves around slightly. Hopefully I can find something (maybe foam) to put behind it at the top just to lean it forward some until it sits flush with the trim.

#16 ·
Last update for the weekend, mostly working.

I glued a couple small pieces of foam at the top to push the Nexus outwards, I may add something to the bottom as well to make it sit a little more flush. Somewhat afraid to remove it at the moment though, due to the USB issue with the cable being knocked slightly causing it to lose connection. I do want to think of a solution though, as like I said, I want to be able to remove it from the car.

Took a quick test drive into town and back (about 30 miles of driving) audio / power did not cut out at all. Battery went from 78% when I left, and was back up to 83% when I got home. Spent half the time streaming music from the flash drive, the other half streaming over Slacker using Bluetooth tethered to my cell phone.

Next steps are to save up for a CAN-BUS interface, and then pick up a Joycon. Having had to change the volume via the screen, I want to use steering wheel controls. It's difficult to accurately adjust the volume, so I want the steering wheel option back. I also need to try and think of what to do with the USB. If I can find a charger cable with a shorter plug section, that may work as I can remove the 90 degree bend. But, most I have looked (I have 3 different kinds laying around the house) all have a similar length to them. I also need to re-calibrate my MS8, the center image is slightly off to the left with the Nexus. I am also likely going to refine my Tasker profiles at some point.

The one issue I did have after going for a drive, was that the Nexus froze when I got home. I am 99.9% sure it was my fault though. When I was running wires, I had the battery disconnected, which caused my key-fob remote to be out of sync with the car. To sync it back up, you put it in the ignition, turn the ignition on, push the lock button, then turn the ignition off again. I did this in fairly quick sequence, which I think caused Tasker to lock up as it was still powering everything on, when I removed power again. I had to pop the dash trim off, and reboot using the power button. Working fine now though (still need to sync the key).

Thanks Timur for the awesome ROM. I am looking forward to getting steering wheel controls, and then (maybe) a back up camera.

#19 ·
For me I just ordered a bezel that is made for a typical Double DIN head unit. Then I trimmed anything off the back to allow the Nexus to sit flush against it. What car do you have? most of them have something similar available? especially if you have room for a double DIN head unit.

Had some issues this morning... went to drive to work, turned on the ignition, and WTF, Nexus did not power on. It worked Sunday when I last used the car, and Tasker was working correctly in switching off the screen / wifi etc. I had read on another forum about the Nexus not liking the cold, so I need to look into that some more. After about 20 minutes of driving, I pulled over, popped off the dash kit and got the Nexus to boot. Battery had gone from 83% Sunday to 45%. The problem I then had was (see above, USB cable issue) I could not get everything back together with the USB cable in the right place. So no music for my 90 minute commute. That sucked.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Spent my lunchbreak trying to get things sorted, but alas, the stupid USB cable getting pushed to angle caused me to give up (run out of time). I got music playing, but as soon as I went to put the dash back together, it cut out. I also think some of my soldering is causing me an issue, I am terrible at it, and with the USB hub wires being sooooooo thin I think the join on one is poor. So combine a poor solder with the USB angle issue, and you get my current position. I am sure with me unplugging things multiple times is not helping either.

I need a day off from work to spend time on this, looks like it will be a quiet commute home, and my new cable is not estimated to be delivered until Thursday. I am 99% sure the new cable will solve my biggest issue, and that is being able to easily get the tablet back into position without losing connection. The soldering issue I may see ifI can find someone better at it than I, and have them redo it for me.

Almost 8 hours of driving with no music is really going to stink.

#21 ·
Almost 8 hours of driving with no music is really going to stink.
I bet someone's regretting selling the ipod so soon. lol

#25 ·
My original stereo has been removed completely, does yours have an aux input that you plan to use with the nexus? I will try to get a picture later, but in my car there is an existing lip that the nexus leans against, and the bezel when snapped in, holds it securely in place.

I do like the box that the Impreza owner has, but for me it would be kind of pointless.

#26 ·
Ahh that makes more sense and is what I guessed. It must just be leaning against something then in those pictures where the bezel isn't on, or it is taped on the back.

I will have to pull my stereo out to see what fitment is like. I will probably have to transplant my stereo into the upper compartment like this example.

The box in the impreza idea would likely work better for me because the Nexus wouldn't have anything to lean against with the stereo removed. I live the idea of using that snap in case to make it removable if needed as well.

I will need to keep my stereo since I am running a 3-way active setup with my component speakers. I planned upgrading my stereo to one with a USB input and using the Timur's USB Audio kernel to get the best sound digital sound from it.

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ahh that makes more sense and is what I guessed. It must just be leaning against something then in those pictures where the bezel isn't on, or it is taped on the back.
Here you go, the red line kind of shows where there is a lip for mine to sit against.

It's only a really small lip, but is enough to stop the Nexus from falling into the dash. I am sure once you get your stereo removed, you will likely see you have a similar lip. Most stereo's the face has a small lip on them. Also, don't forget the Nexus is wider than a typical double DIN head unit.

I drilled a larger hole today for my new USB cable (the hole is a mess as I had to use my Dremel, and there is 0 room to work there, especially as the tan piece to the right is a visible piece of the dash that I don't want to tear up):

What's annoying is that while USPS say my new cable has been delivered, it's not in my mailbox

Next thing I need to do is figure out a better way to make the Nexus sit flush against the bezel. I could tape it, but would prefer not to do that. In the first picture above, the blue box is around a piece that I glued some foam to, but it came off (I only used a small amount of glue). I may go this route again, the only other option is to try to fabricate some kind of hook system to the back of the bezel, but I am there is not much room on the back:

The advantage to making some kind of hook system though, is that it will likely hold the tablet nicely against the bezel, and make it a little easier for removal/installaiton. You can see in the bottom right of the bezel where I had to cut a section out, this kept pushing on the power / volume rocker when I was installing it in the car causing it to either end up muted, or power off.

I wish that cable were in my mailbox!! I might try to get things working in its current configuration at least for my drive to work tomorrow. Chances are I will get annoyed with it cutting out though, and give in.

Edit: So, just went down to the garage to take a look at things. Seems like I need a new OTG cable, I was looking at the male end of mine that would plug into the Nexus, and noticed it at a slight angle, if I touch it, I see it spark. Not sure if that's a result of it being a cheap Chinese cable, or the plug being pushed at an angle by the dash. Either way it means I am now having to find another OTG Y-cable, which I will be lucky to get before Monday. I may try to look inside at the pins, just to make sure there is not something that has fallen in there causing a short. But, at the same time am not sure I want to risk my equipment on it.

Thankfully I can use my phone to listen to music on the way to work and back.

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just got done taking a closer look at my OTG cable... yep, its trash. If I look at the piece that plugs into the Nexus, the pins are out of alignment. Here is a nice drawing to show what I mean:

The top is what the pins in my OTG cable look like, the bottom is what they should look like. Nice and evenly spaced, not with them all shifted one over and the 5 pin squashed at the side. I am pretty sure now it's due to the stress that was being put on the cable from it being angled into the dash, the new cable that should have arrived today will take care of this.

What it does mean though is no progress until I get a new OTG cable. In the meantime I am thinking of pulling all the wiring out and re-doing it, I have one of these USB hubs:

While it does the job, I feel like it's unneccessary clutter due to each female port having its own wire. I already have a new hub on the way like this one:

When that gets here I am going to splice it into the power slightly differently (read more securely) and see if I can mount it to the side of the dash behind where the Nexus will sit. Since I have a big open hole in my dash I am thinking of also doing a bit of cable management, no real reason other than I don't like to have the rats nest behind there. If I am lucky, I should have everything I need again by next Monday. Fingers crossed (in case it was hard to tell, I am VERY impatient when it comes to waiting on things to be delivered).

#29 ·
Yanked out the USB hub today, rewired the female USB to the DC regulator, and soldered 2 wires in place for my new USB hub. I had hoped it would arrive today, but tracking has not updated since the 19th (it should only take 3 days to get here from where it shipped). Fingers crossed that arrives tomorrow, i can then solder the power wires for that, my new OTG cable should arrive by Monday, and then I an back in business.

I also tried to create a hook to hold the nexus flush against the trim. It works on my bench, but we will see how it does in the car. I should have some more pictures Monday.

#30 ·
Got my new USB hub wired up today, what's odd though is that while driving the green led on the hub stays lit, but the orange led sometimes goes out on the USB DAC. I need to see if that is normal for the DAC though. Apart from that everything is working well, and my new OTG cable should arrive tomorrow.

#31 ·
New OTG cable arrived today, just did a quick test with it and everything is working perfectly. I did not leave the Nexus in the dash tonight as it's currently snowing and cold (yay Spring?). Tomorrow will be a bit of a test as I drive to work and back with it, if all works correctly then it's onto the next step of getting what I need in order to get my steering wheel controls back.

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Great news! :)

I'm trying to get my new WD 500Gb to work on the N7, but somehow I get the feeling it's not getting enough juice, as most of the times it doesn't remount after a sudden power loss. Ordered a dual power cable to see if that solves the problem. Oh well... patience is a virtue.

#34 ·
Driving home from work yesterday, I just had to deal with the polarized sunglasses issue. I need new sunglasses anyway, so will just get some non-polarized ones as that seems to be about the only option. I am still having the problem though that when I turn on the ignition again, the USB hub is not recognized until I reboot the Nexus.

One thing I can say though, is that the Nexus combined with the Sabre DAC absolutely blows my OEM head unit out of the water for sound quality. I am sure it is more the DAC than anything else, especially as the Audi Symphony units put out a flat signal. I could sit in the car listening to music all day long.

#35 ·
Still sort of having issues with the USB hub not being picked up after power comes back on, what's odd is that it does not do it all the time. Yesterday I started the car 3 separate times, and each time the hub was picked up. Today, I start to leave for work, and it needed a reboot to be recognized.

I decided this morning that I need to rethink how to hold the Nexus flush to the trim, currently I am using this hook I glued to the back:

However, it does not hold the Nexus flush and so there is a big gap along the side.

Not only does it look annoying, it also makes it harder to touch some of the notifications that pop up. First thing I plan to do is make sure the piece the Nexus sits against is 100% flat. Then, I am thinking of either attaching some kind of elastic strap, or a velcro strap to the back of the bezel. I like this idea because when I either take the Nexus out, or put it in the car, once I pop off the bezel I have to kind of catch it from falling out the bottom. If I put a strap of some kind on there, that is tight enough to hold it flush, it will also prevent it from falling when I take that trim piece off.

#36 ·
It seems like if you travel enough you could just leave the Nexus on in standby since they last quite awhile that way. You could then just let it charge once you get in the car again.

Post some more pictures on your solution to get it flush with the bezel once you get that done. I'm interested to see what you come up with. I have kind of held off on my N7 intall since the N7 v2 is soon to release and I am going to wait until it is a little warmer out to start working on the car.

#37 ·
Post some more pictures on your solution to get it flush with the bezel once you get that done. I'm interested to see what you come up with.
Will do, I am still trying to figure it out. I am sure once its done I will buy a new bezel since this one is getting kind of dinged up. At the weekend I cut the elastic out of some boxer shorts and glued that to the back. It seems to be working well, but one side is not quite as flush as I want, and the other side is not quite perfect either. The one thing I did notice is that the bezel has a very slight curve to it, so I am trying to decide whether to sand the lip down to try to eliminate the curve, live with a slight gap, or attempt to fiberglass my own bezel entirely.

The elastic does hold the Nexus snugly though. I had to pop the bezel off yesterday to do something behind the tablet, and it gripped it fine.

#43 ·
Well, the log means nothing to me. It is also crashing when out of the car, I thought it maybe if I had airplane mode on, bluetooth on, or a combination of these confusing it. But after rebooting, making sure airplane and bluetooth were both off, it still crashed. Here is the log, which means not much to me, and looks like it does not say much either:

04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): FATAL EXCEPTION: QPControllers-Thread
04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): java.lang.NullPointerException
04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): at com.quickplay.vstb.service.m.h.a(PhoneUtil.java:38)
04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): at com.quickplay.vstb.exposed.model.h.<init>(LibraryInitializationParameters.java:218)
04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): at com.qp.sxm.aod.internal.w.<init>(SxmAODVstbServiceWrapper.java:18)
04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): at com.qp.sxm.aod.internal.l.a(SxmAODServiceManagerImpl.java:77)
04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): at com.sirius.bk.run(SXMApplication.java:169)
04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:725)
04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)
04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:137)
04-04 11:44:18.410 E/AndroidRuntime(2357): at android.os.HandlerThread.run(HandlerThread.java:60)
04-04 11:44:18.410 W/ActivityManager(452): Force finishing activity com.sirius/.AppStartActivity
04-04 11:44:18.450 I/dalvikvm(452): Jit: resizing JitTable from 8192 to 16384
04-04 11:44:18.560 D/dalvikvm(452): GC_CONCURRENT freed 2086K, 27% free 10717K/14528K, paused 4ms+18ms, total 129ms
04-04 11:44:18.670 I/ActivityManager(452): START u0 {flg=0x10000 cmp=com.sirius/.SplashActivity} from pid 2357
04-04 11:44:18.680 D/dalvikvm(653): GC_CONCURRENT freed 1991K, 75% free 2671K/10660K, paused 3ms+4ms, total 54ms
04-04 11:44:18.680 W/ActivityManager(452): Duplicate finish request for ActivityRecord{41ab0c18 u0 com.sirius/.AppStartActivity}
04-04 11:44:18.980 D/libEGL (2357): loaded /system/lib/egl/libEGL_tegra.so
04-04 11:44:19.000 D/libEGL (2357): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLESv1_CM_tegra.so
04-04 11:44:19.010 D/libEGL (2357): loaded /system/lib/egl/libGLESv2_tegra.so
04-04 11:44:19.030 D/OpenGLRenderer(2357): Enabling debug mode 0
04-04 11:44:19.110 I/ActivityManager(452): Displayed com.sirius/.SplashActivity: +424ms (total +828ms)
04-04 11:44:19.170 D/dalvikvm(2357): GC_EXPLICIT freed 2547K, 46% free 5808K/10660K, paused 3ms+3ms, total 37ms
04-04 11:44:22.540 I/Process (2357): Sending signal. PID: 2357 SIG: 9
04-04 11:44:22.550 I/WindowState(452): WIN DEATH: Window{4191b578 u0 com.sirius/com.sirius.SplashActivity}
04-04 11:44:22.550 I/ActivityManager(452): Process com.sirius (pid 2357) has died.
04-04 11:44:22.550 W/ActivityManager(452): Force removing ActivityRecord{41429838 u0 com.sirius/.SplashActivity}: app died, no saved state

#44 · (Edited by Moderator)
04-04 11:44:22.550 I/WindowState(452): WIN DEATH: Window{4191b578 u0 com.sirius/com.sirius.SplashActivity}
04-04 11:44:22.550 I/ActivityManager(452): Process com.sirius (pid 2357) has died.
04-04 11:44:22.550 W/ActivityManager(452): Force removing ActivityRecord{41429838 u0 com.sirius/.SplashActivity}: app died, no saved state
I'm not an expert at all, but this gives me the idea of something related to screen resolution.

After reading this thread it makes even more sense and shows that you're not the only one having that problem.

Edit: what DPI are you currently running the N7 on?

Edit2: ok... I just realized that thread is 6 months old and the problem seems to be solved now. But if you did change the DPI... I say it's worth to try reverting it.

Reactions: naiku
#47 ·
Yep, and it makes no difference how you are connected to the internet. It has to be via wifi. I tried tethering to my phone via bluetooth, it crashes. Tether via wifi, opens fine. Exit, disconnect wifi, re-open, and its working fine. Really strange.

#48 · (Edited by Moderator)
Have a look at the apps permissions:

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
FULL NETWORK ACCESS
Allows the app to create network sockets and use custom network protocols. The browser and other applications provide means to send data to the internet, so this permission is not required to send data to the internet.

NETWORK COMMUNICATION
VIEW NETWORK CONNECTIONS
Allows the app to view information about network connections such as which networks exist and are connected.
VIEW WI-FI CONNECTIONS
Allows the app to view information about Wi-Fi networking, such as whether Wi-Fi is enabled and name of connected Wi-Fi devices.

As far as I can tell, the application really needs to have access to network connections. What I don't understand is why it doesn't show some kind of error message instead of simply crashing. I would try the app myself, but it says it's not available in my country.

Your best bet is probably to write something on their forum and hope someone will help you out.

Edit: user dorkin had the same problem reported here at Rootzwiki back in October. Maybe he has found the answer...

#49 ·
It's definitely an odd issue, it literally crashes immediately. Yet, if I connect to wifi first, then disconnect, when I open it it just tells me I am entering offline mode and works fine. I found dorkin's post, but no resolution, might PM him. Thanks for finding that.

Back to my project, ordered steering wheel controls this morning, Joycon EXR and the CAN-BUS interface.

#50 ·
Back to my project, ordered steering wheel controls this morning, Joycon EXR and the CAN-BUS interface.
Ohhhhh... very nice addition. I'm considering it too... but for the second part of the project, when everything is working great, along with the rearview cam connected to the easycap. Until then it really makes no sense.

#55 ·
As far as I know it does, I have not tried though (do not have an easy cap or a camera currently).

Some new parts arrived today, first new trim piece, this matches the dash perfectly. I just hope I can get it to work as it seems deeper than my current one.

Also my Joycon arrived, with pre-shrunk heat shrink... LOL. We have had unseasonably warm temperature here the last 2 days (90F) so I think the heat shrink did what it was supposed to do.

Finally the CAN-BUS adapter arrived as well.

I am hoping to get the Joycon installed this evening :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.