Android OS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supporting Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting 4G at home now. I have been connecting to my FIOS router for wireless on my Thunderbolt, instead of 3G. Actually using wireless wherever I could get it.

But now that 4G is rearing its head, I do not know weather to stay on wireless or roll with 4G? I have no notion of what to do and hope someone can help.

Thanks

·
Android Apprentice
50 Posts
Wifi is going to save you battery life and depending on your internet may be about the same as 4G speed.

I would say stick to WiFi unless the speed difference is significant AND you have the need to download something super fast.

·
Thriller
481 Posts
I would never suggest against someone using their 4G over a home router unless you're saving big money.

·
appul pls
411 Posts
I Am Marino said:
I would never suggest against someone using their 4G over a home router unless you're saving big money.
I think he means using it on his phone, not where he is connecting the router to the TB to get 4g speeds, if I read that correctly.

To OP, I would say it depends on how strong your 4G signal is. I get about 63-75dBm, and stay in LTE only mode, and get exceptional battery life. If you have a strong constant signal, switching to LTE only mode will definitely help with the battery, if not I would say stick with the wi-fi.

·
Android Beginner
4 Posts
g00s3y said:
I think he means using it on his phone, not where he is connecting the router to the TB to get 4g speeds, if I read that correctly.

To OP, I would say it depends on how strong your 4G signal is. I get about 63-75dBm, and stay in LTE only mode, and get exceptional battery life. If you have a strong constant signal, switching to LTE only mode will definitely help with the battery, if not I would say stick with the wi-fi.
Well, I would tend to agree - but if you have a good wireless signal in your home, then having wifi on is generally going to use less battery power overall. I would take some readings on your dbm and speedtests and see what works best for you.

·
Android Apprentice
53 Posts
I personally would use wifi. And if i had 4g speeds i still would use wifi, they are prolly about the same depending on your internet plan/provider.

·
Android Developer
93 Posts
Wirless when available (save battery, faster than 3G)
4G when downloading (Super fast for downloading)
3G when away from home (Save battery when wifi isnt available)

·
Android Master
563 Posts
Wifi when at home or when available out and about. 3g is on unless I need to FL something and I don't have wifi then I turn on 4g do what I need to dothen turn it off. Saves on battle life...

Sent from my thunderbolt using my f***King thumbs

·
Android Beginner
17 Posts
I use wifi when ever possible. It is so much faster than the 3g!

Sent from MIUI DROID X!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts