Android OS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a galaxy s and was going to install a new rom. I saved the rom to the sd card and pressed the power button to go into recovery mode, the screen went black as usual but never rebooted and the screen stayed black. I connect it to the pc and it tried to load some driver something to do with "test driver" but anyway the screen stays black and the phone does nothing. Any ideas how to fix this without sending back to Samsung. Thanks for any ideas. Wayne.:sad3:

·
Supporting Member
7 Posts
need a couple more details - which galaxy s phone do you have? which rom did you flash/come from? also did you mess with the bootloaders at all?

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi it is a Galaxy S GT-I9000 and the rom was GT-I9100_XSA_I9000xwf3_I9100XXKE7_I9000XSAKE3. Thats what i was going to use, i downloaded it but when i reset my phone to go to recovery mode the phone shut down as usual to restart and when the screen went blank for a few minutes i tried to use the 3 button process a few times but nothing happens. So basically i guess it fail to restart before i got to update a rom.

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
For clarification, let me get this straight. You performed these steps:

1. Had a fully-functional and rooted phone with a custom recovery installed on it that has previously been able to flash rooted ROMs
2. You downloaded a new ROM and put it on your SD Card
3. You rebooted to Recovery but never made it there and are stuck at a black screen.

Does that sound right?

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep thats exactly it. never got to the recovery screen. no updated rom was installed. has sgs2 rom when was working fine but when rebooting into recovery to install the new rom it stopped at the very start. before any lights or screen flashed.

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
So right now your phone is completely non-functional, right? Or are you able to boot back into your ROM?

So a couple different ideas (btw, troubleshooting as an Android guy, NOT a Galaxy S guy, so some things may be different)...

1. Pull battery and use your key combo to boot up into Recovery after letting the battery sit for a minute or two. Pull your SIM card too, if you have one, for a minute or two. See if this gets better.
2. If you can boot your ROM but just can't get into Recovery, tell us exactly how you're trying to get into Recovery. Is it via the custom ROM's reboot menu? Is it via Rom Manager's reboot into recovery option? Is it something else? If you've not tried other ways to get into recovery, then try them.

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its like the phone is dead. tried a new battery and tried the 3 key recovery but nothing. the only thing i have not tried is the jig which ill have to buy to try. tried making one but didnt do anything on my phone or my wifes phone which is working fine. mine respondes to nothine except if i connect it to my pc it say its trying to install a driver " SEC S5PC110 TEST B/D" which finds nothing in a windows driver update.

·
Android Beginner
4 Posts
kkeller87 said:
I havent done this with a samsung yet. But could you boot into recovery from adb?
Yeah if you can get adb to detect it you can enter recovery with adb reboot recovery no problem. Did you try download mode and odin? Sounds like the only option besides a jig.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
11 Posts
If you have not messed with bootloaders, try the force download method. Remove battery, connect to pc via USB ( no drivers needed at this point. ) while holding both volume buttons insert battery. You should now be looking at a large yellow triangle. This may make installing drivers possible.

What PC are you using? Sammy drivers have historically been horrible on win 7 x64. I use an old laptop with win xp to do all my odining, and phone tinkering. I find it much more stable.

How did you try to reset your phone into recovery? I feel that we are missing some vital information needed to diagnose/treat your phones maladies

·
Android Apprentice
17 Posts
i agree with everyone.... odin in using you cable or download mode try a factory reload.... abd jig if you have to other than that you may be stuck with Samsung to correct the issue... Possibly factory flaw maybe..... hard to say with out looking at it personally.

good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts