Android OS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Android Beginner
13 Posts
Hi all,

Due to a lack of information, I called up Amazon Wireless to check in on their promotion of buying a hotspot-capable phone (Rezound currently included at the price of $200 for new customers, $230 for upgrades) and activating Mobile Hotspot at the time ($20/month). If you do this, you get a $100 Amazon gift card. You can't use this towards Amazon Wireless at the time (I believe), but if you're like me, you buy tons of stuff at Amazon anyways, so this is a great deal. In addition, to those of us who use Root tether, this could be a good opportunity to be able to continue to tether while root is worked out on the Rezound.

My main question for them was: Can we cancel the Hotspot at any time, or are we locked into the Amazon 180 day thing for their additional ETF? Answer: Cancel whenever you want, you only have to pay that one month. I'll attach their response.

Also, for GNex holdouts, this should still work on the Galaxy Nexus, since the promo is through the end of December. Amazon also has a 30 day return period, although I'm unsure how easy it is to get your upgrade back vs. returning it to a Verizon store.

Anyone see a problem with this, other than the fact the Rezound is currently backordered 8-9 days? I'm also curious to see how their return policy works...they have a 30 day return policy, but if I were to return my phone, how long would it be until I got my upgrade back to re-order a GNex? And this would likely invalidate the gift card too, but that's quite understandable.

EDIT: I kinda jumped the gun on this one :\ It appears that to add mobile hotspot to the plan, those of us that still have unlimited data would have to drop it in favor of the $50 "6GB Smartphone Web Browsing and Email plus Mobile Hotspot (2GB Free)" plan. There is an option for keeping the unlimited data plan, but not for adding a hotspot to it. Oh well...still not a bad deal at all for new customers or those coming from dumbphones--you get the extra 2GB data and the $100 gift card, still.

Attachments

·
Fighting Fraud
267 Posts
fixxxer2012 said:
god almighty amazon full price wants 730+ for this phone... that's highway robbery. do these carriers not understand were in a recession? i could buy a full computer for that price.
They have to charge that much to make up for fools returning perfectly good phones to them because the user won't delete a stupid secure log file.

·
Android Lover
1,260 Posts
They have to charge that much to make up for fools returning perfectly good phones to them because the user won't delete a stupid secure log file
How about a more logical, less spiteful reason. Amazon probably just doesn't make as much without the fee they get for signing up a contract and likely don't get phones for the same price a carrier does. Thus, their off-contract phones cost more.

·
Fighting Fraud
267 Posts
anyways anything over $500 is too much for me.
Let me preface this by saying I disagree with most thing large corporations do.
Verizon/Amazon/Best buy and any other businesses do not get deals or discounts on phones. Every time a phone is sold as an upgrade or new line of service Verizon takes a loss on that phone. With that said one might ask "How does Verizon stay in business." Well its no coincidence that when you get a deal on a phone for 199 you have to sign a 2 year contract with Verizon. Most of the money that Verizon makes is actually through service fees, tiered data plans, outrageous overages and activation fees. It is also no coincidence that they lock you into a data plan when you buy a phone. Verizon is not losing money by any means they have to discount these phones for people because they know people will not drop 500 on a phone, Verizon does everything for a reason. Tiered data was not some ooh we want to make more money off people ploy. Verizon's network can hand unlimited data with out any issues. Part of the deal to get the iPhone was that data needed to be tiered. Not because Verizon wanted but because apple demanded it. Apple demanded it because of it baby iTunes. People are a lot less likely to buy music when they can sit and listen to music on Pandora all day.

My issue with you Fixxer is that you made a big deal about about the HTC logger file. You did not even know what this file did. Instead of investigating to see if this thing really could be exploited or if it could be fixed in a matter of seconds you ran to Verizon and demanded a new phone. When you did this you inadvertently drove the price of phones for everyone up again. When HTC replaces a perfectly good phone they lose money because they have to pay to refurb and sell it for half of what its worth. Just think what you are doing before you do it.

And for the Rezound I don't think its worth the 300 price tag. Sure its a good phone but it arrived to the party like 4-5 months late. Verizon will get a quad core sometime in the first half of next year. I also do not trust that the Rezound will get ICS HTC has a history of saying one thing an doing another when it comes to upgrading phones.

·
Former #1 troll.
1,465 Posts
the biggest issue is most people will return the rezound when the nexus hits...that's IF the nexus even comes to verizon. im still hoping someone puts one on craigslist for cheap, you would be surprised at how clueless people can be when they sell their phones. i remember 2 summers ago i traded a hero for a new evo because he said it was too big...lmao. but i agree the rezound should not even be $300 with upgrade, it's too expensive. i think verizon's phones are by far the most expensive when compared to sprint.

·
Fighting Fraud
267 Posts
fixxxer2012 said:
the biggest issue is most people will return the rezound when the nexus hits...that's IF the nexus even comes to verizon. im still hoping someone puts one on craigslist for cheap, you would be surprised at how clueless people can be when they sell their phones. i remember 2 summers ago i traded a hero for a new evo because he said it was too big...lmao. but i agree the rezound should not even be 300 with upgrade, it's too expensive. i think verizon's phones are by far the most expensive when compared to sprint.
Sprint has a different buisness model than Verizon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts