Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Frenetic Amnesic
1,060 Posts
For about the last 2 weeks I have been carefully following and tweaking my phone for max battery life.
There should be no reason this phone will not make it to consistant 35-40 hours between changes with light to moderate use

Average battery life with current settings:
Light: 1.25-2.5% battery/hour.
Mod: 2-4% battery/hour
Heavy: 3-6% battery/hour
Battery Killer: 15-20% battery/hour

Definitions
Light usage: Occasional phone calls, checking time, reading news
Mod usage: Greater than 2 hours of any of the following Phone calls, listening to streaming radio > 2 hours OR screen on > 1 hour noncontinous
Heavy Usage: > 4 hours Phone calls, listening to streaming radio OR > 2 hrs screen on noncontinous
Battery Killer: screen on all the time AKA gaming

Disclosure
ROM: AOKP milestone 3
Kernal: Leankernal started with 1.7.1 230expimental. Then changes to 1.8.0 230experimental5. With moderately agreessive UV (see pictures below of settings)
Radios: 4.0.3 initially. Changes to 4.0.4 day after release

Tweaks:
UV --> #1 battery saver saves 2-3% hour all settings. You should be able to set your phone below 800 mHz at rest without any loss of stabilty. My phone does not like anything < 750 (Each phone will vary). I hightly recommend Leankernal or Pete's because they include these slots. You do NOT been to agressivly undervolt your 1200, 950, and 700 as your phone spends minimal tine in those states. I have found that 700 slot causes the most problems.
Google+ --> disabling chat/notifcations (keeping upload on wifi) saves 0.5% hour on light
Changing all widgets/weather/news to update once every 6 hrs --> 1-2% battery/hr save
Autobrightness --> depends on conditions (and if it even works on your ROM) saves only on heavy/battery killer use. Can be 1-5% an hour
NFC: Turned off, use is too infrequent to justify leaving on, minimal power save
4G: I use 4G, but 3G is definitly a powers saver ~0.5 (good reception)-4%(poor reception) an hour depending on quality of 4G signal
4.0.4 - Has drastimally improved 3G signal in my area. Areas with no reception on 4.0.1 and 4.0.3 now get good reception. Has improved battery life as a result
Locale - automatically turn off wifi/GPS/bluetooth/4G when no need. Considerable power savings
Sync - I always leave my data on push. Can consider an interval, it will likely bring power consuption < 1% hour. Will be HUGE power saver if you have poor reception.
Likely others,...

Pictures: You can see about 2 weeks of daily battery life. Based on my definitions most mod use. Only 2-3 days of heavy and 1 1/2 of battery killer. If there is confusion I will label each

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:16061] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:16063] Font Screenshot Number Terrestrial plant Multimedia
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:16801] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:16800]
Communication Device Gadget Font Screenshot Technology [sharedmedia=core:attachments:17205]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:17206] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:17207]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:17213] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:17214]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:17211] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:17212]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:17209] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:17210]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:17208]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:16060]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:16799]

Note: It will take me several posts to upload all the photos since there is a 300kb limit, then I will edit them all into this first one

Discuss

Attachments

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I see a lot of negative comments about this. I like the write up, but not sure your use is practical for most users. 1-2 hours of screen on time is hardly anything.

And where is the screen on time? By the looks of the pics, it looks like most of these are less than an hour of screen time.Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

·
Frenetic Amnesic
1,060 Posts
Typlically my screen on time is between 45-1:30 a day.
I defined my usage above.
Today was mod-heavy usage: I spent 1:18 minutes screen on, 6 1/2 hours streaming music from Google Music and played with bluetooth speakers, 42:31 minutes of calls, a couple dozen texts and a couple dozen G-chat conversations. And used the navigation map to 13:55.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:17213] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:17214]

The one from 2-7-12 on for 2 hours, the screen was on continously on for the first hour, then off/on for second hour. that was a test just to see it continously on.

I would wager most users fall in 15 minutes -1 hour window a day of screen use. I would even wager >90% use <2 hrs/day. So I think this is practical for most, but will not apply if you use 4-5 hours a day... but aside from gaming why would you need to?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I found this very useful I would also like to see some tests on what settings is best for the longest possible screen on time if you can. Also you put 4.0.4, i think you meant to also add that they were the radios, should fix your op.

·
Frenetic Amnesic
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found this very useful I would also like to see some tests on what settings is best for the longest possible screen on time if you can. Also you put 4.0.4, i think you meant to also add that they were the radios, should fix your op.
Thanks, I added radios.
To maximize your screen on time, I think working autobrightness is the best thing (many ROMs the autobrightness does not work or not well). It keeps your screen to the lowest energery setting for each night setting. Autobrightness uses a very small amount of energy when enabled, so it's worth using.

The super amoled screen is a beast, that gulps energy. The only way to use less is to turn down the brightness.

·
Registered
959 Posts
actually i have it set at manual 30 pct or close to that. on aokp b22 with the .4 radios and fauxs kernel, trying imos cause of you, I have the extended battery and my screen on time cant break 2 hours lol. Thats including wifi time not radio.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Where did you find the files to install the 4.04 radios?

Thanks, Im gonna try this rom now because of your post.
in this forum if you just go back a page or 2 you should find the radios along with instructions, make sure you flash back to 4.0.2 radios first like the instructions say!!!

·
Android Beginner
202 Posts
Alright just wanna make sure I'm doing this right.

I'm going to turn off pretty much every feature
Make sure I have a full perfect green signal
Never use my phone
Turn all services to updating every 6 hours
Have an hour of less of screen time

Then I will get 35-40 hours? This post is SICK! Thanks! Cant wait to give this a shot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OP, some more screen-on time would have been nice. My typical screen-on is about 2-2.5hrs and about 12hrs charge on mostly 4G with some WiFi. I would like to see how that stacks up against your setup.

I doubt that you need Facebook and weather updating every 30min. I have all of my stuff manual update, except for email, which is on Push, as the OP stated.

Your usage obviously varies from theirs, as does everybody else's. OP was well intentioned by taking the time to log their usage, and if anything, it gives others with terrible battery life a baseline to start from.

dbad.

·
Android Fanatic
1,821 Posts
Great write-up. Thanks for taking the time to share your findings. We should all know, that this may not be the same on EVERY phone as they are react different to different settings/conditions.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Wow so I was on fauxs kernel, which I like, i have no complaints really the battery still lasted me all day, but I installed imos kernel yesterday and the battery life difference is phenominal! I think I might even break 2 hours of screen on time in the first day of using it and i hadnt even installed the tweaks yet. Thanks for the help and info!

·
Frenetic Amnesic
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad it seems to be helping

Synth3tic's responce was the perfect answer to micro23. It's more of waste not/want not philosophy. I use many features that use more battery 4G, picture uploads, Gchat. But turn off GPS/BT/Wifi if not using. Apps like Locale make these automatic so you don't even need to think about it.

Radios are here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/12864-radiosgalaxy-nexus-all-available-radiosbasebands/

I will post more screen on times, as they have been requested.

·
Android Beginner
784 Posts
Why does anyone need 35-40 hours ? I sleep nightly. I put my phone on the charger at that time. 18 hours is the most I ever need. I like my phone fully functional when not charging. Bright, fast, everything full bore!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
784 Posts
Alright just wanna make sure I'm doing this right.

I'm going to turn off pretty much every feature
Make sure I have a full perfect green signal
Never use my phone
Have an hour of less of screen time

Then I will get 35-40 hours? This post is SICK! Thanks! Cant wait to give this a shot.
You can get even more battery life by pulling the battery and sticking the phone in a drawer. Cut off communication with the world. Too funny.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Member
1,839 Posts
Alright some of these posts are harsh. I didn't mean for mine to sound like an attack or anything. It was a serious question. Everyone always says I get x hours with light usage or x hours on heavy usage.

Today is going to be a long day so I'll see how long I last and how much screen on time I have.

·
Frenetic Amnesic
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why does anyone need 35-40 hours ? I sleep nightly. I put my phone on the charger at that time. 18 hours is the most I ever need. I like my phone fully functional when not charging. Bright, fast, everything full bore!
I'm a doctor (hense the avatar). I do not sleep nightly. Call sucks.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts