Android OS Forum banner
141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
K, the normal size is up. Tell me if it works, it should. Worst case you just push the mms.apk from the zip to the /system/app folder.
I can't send the group message to two people. Keeps failing.

Also, when a friend sent me a group message. They got my message in the group message, but one other person that responded in the group message came as an individual text message.

·
Love your frenemies
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
I can't send the group message to two people. Keeps failing.

Also, when a friend sent me a group message. They got my message in the group message, but one other person that responded in the group message came as an individual text message.
i can't help you there. that has to do with coding. you'll have to talk to AKeller who is in this thread, probably a page back or so. he did the programming for a lot of that. have you tried it with the latest version of mms? does it work?

I just edit the XML's, i don't change any functionality, i just change colors and a little layout.

i haven't tried much to get the group thing to work, but i don't know what it looks like when it does work. for me i just do normal texting. All i wanted was my nice theme. I personally don't need the group messaging or theme engine in the newer versions.

If you talk with AKeller and tell him about what is going on, let me know if there are fixes and if there is something i can do in the xml, then i can try it. Otherwise it's out of my hands. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
i can't help you there. that has to do with coding. you'll have to talk to AKeller who is in this thread, probably a page back or so. he did the programming for a lot of that. have you tried it with the latest version of mms? does it work?

I just edit the XML's, i don't change any functionality, i just change colors and a little layout.

i haven't tried much to get the group thing to work, but i don't know what it looks like when it does work. for me i just do normal texting. All i wanted was my nice theme. I personally don't need the group messaging or theme engine in the newer versions.

If you talk with AKeller and tell him about what is going on, let me know if there are fixes and if there is something i can do in the xml, then i can try it. Otherwise it's out of my hands. Sorry.
Group messaging works fine on 4.1. If you are using this modded mms on 4.2 you will have issues.

·
Love your frenemies
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
i just changed the thread title to say AOKP 4.1 instead of the previous ANY JB ROM, which of course isn't true any more with all the new features.

·
Love your frenemies
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Sounds good... Your theme is the only reason I use stock messaging. If and/or when you stop, it's back to gosms or handcent.

Or just hop in and get my hands a little dirty with some theming...
i'm surprised at how little love the mms app gets from google. i personally hate the other messaging apps, and i like thestock experience, but there are a couple things that stock could use, which aokp has added in large part. but if you ever do get into theming, maybe you can check out the mms and see for yourself how difficult it is to theme the new version with the theme engine. and if you were to come up with a good solution, that would be hawesome.

·
AOKP Fiend
287 Posts
i'm surprised at how little love the mms app gets from google. i personally hate the other messaging apps, and i like thestock experience, but there are a couple things that stock could use, which aokp has added in large part. but if you ever do get into theming, maybe you can check out the mms and see for yourself how difficult it is to theme the new version with the theme engine. and if you were to come up with a good solution, that would be hawesome.
Will do! Any good tutorials to give me an idea of where to start? I know once I get the basic idea, everything will come together. As far as stock mms vs apps, I go back and forth as far as what I like. I like how stock is more simplistic in every way but at the same time has no quick way to theme it and thats where I like gosms and handcent.. There a few themes that look so damn good and are so easy to apply.

·
Love your frenemies
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·

·
Love your frenemies
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Group messaging works fine on 4.1. If you are using this modded mms on 4.2 you will have issues.
I saw you posted someone else's commit about allowing MMS to be open to full Theming by a theme.

What I would like to know, and this goes for the current version where there is a theme engine in the mms itself...

how would I go about hardwiring a theme? i want everything black, white incoming text, holo blue outgoing text, and then certain adjustments to spacing or avatar size (like in my small version on the OP).

I appreciate the advancements and features in the latest mms but for me, they are things i don't use. If the 4.2 mms is, from the very starting point, going to have all these things in it, then there is no way for me to have a more basic version before the theming and group messaging stuff... i'm not sure what to do. But I do love the notification quick reply and all that. (actually, i think the notification action could benefit from a Mark as Read and close button on it).

any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
I saw you posted someone else's commit about allowing MMS to be open to full Theming by a theme.

What I would like to know, and this goes for the current version where there is a theme engine in the mms itself...

how would I go about hardwiring a theme? i want everything black, white incoming text, holo blue outgoing text, and then certain adjustments to spacing or avatar size (like in my small version on the OP).

I appreciate the advancements and features in the latest mms but for me, they are things i don't use. If the 4.2 mms is, from the very starting point, going to have all these things in it, then there is no way for me to have a more basic version before the theming and group messaging stuff... i'm not sure what to do. But I do love the notification quick reply and all that. (actually, i think the notification action could benefit from a Mark as Read and close button on it).

any thoughts?
Honestly, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but as a themer it's your job to theme what is provided to you. If you don't like the base app then chose a different base to start from. No one is going to remove features in order to make it easier for you to theme the app the way you want, especially when there is a built in theme engine. That being said, the only way on the mms app with the theme engine to "hardwire" a theme would be to build it from source or dig into smali. So far the theme engine hasn't been brought over to 4.2. I have been told one of the devs is considering a reworking of what was committed previously so it's likely there will be some sort of theme engine at some point.

·
Love your frenemies
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Honestly, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but as a themer it's your job to theme what is provided to you. If you don't like the base app then chose a different base to start from. No one is going to remove features in order to make it easier for you to theme the app the way you want, especially when there is a built in theme engine. That being said, the only way on the mms app with the theme engine to "hardwire" a theme would be to build it from source or dig into smali. So far the theme engine hasn't been brought over to 4.2. I have been told one of the devs is considering a reworking of what was committed previously so it's likely there will be some sort of theme engine at some point.
thanks. i know what you mean about theming. and frankly, the only reason i was theming is for me cause I liked a particular style. It wasn't a thing i wanted to get into. and then of course i figured i'd share it if anyone else was interested since i had it anyway.

can you pm me who is working on that and maybe I can offer some suggestions that people seem to be interested? if i didn't have to do any theming in code, i'd be happy with that, if i could get the desired result through the app itself.

if i knew anything about java, i would love to figure out how to make the MMS conversations act like Talk conversations that you can swipe side to side through... make the thing more of a Holo style in swiping and side panels.

·
Love your frenemies
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
I finally understand what is going on with 4.2... everything is getting resubmitted and merged back... so for now, mms is completely stock in 4.2 but there are 4 open commits that are for mms. (none of which make it difficult to theme.)

just dawned on me... you kick started my brain, thx

·
Love your frenemies
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
i have a question for everyone here (all 3 of you).... in the new 4.2.1 MMS, if i should theme it to be the same theme as I've been doing.... would you rather I hardwire the colors so they cannot be changed by system themes (as they currently are able to be), or would you like my theme to be the default but if you apply a theme that does theme the MMS (which more are starting to do) you would like the MMS themed according to your system theme...

??

that is the question!

·
AOKP Fiend
287 Posts
i have a question for everyone here (all 3 of you).... in the new 4.2.1 MMS, if i should theme it to be the same theme as I've been doing.... would you rather I hardwire the colors so they cannot be changed by system themes (as they currently are able to be), or would you like my theme to be the default but if you apply a theme that does theme the MMS (which more are starting to do) you would like the MMS themed according to your system theme...

??

that is the question!
As much as I love options and would like to see both, if i had to pick 1 I'd say make your theme the default and allow system themes...

·
TESTER
758 Posts
Say ive my first problem with this MMS and I'm not sure its the ROM or app sending or receiving it fcs

Gnex SteveSpear AOKP Dec 11th Zen V12

141 - 160 of 199 Posts