Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Who loves root/roms/hacking/modding/anything_better_than_stock? WE DO!

We are in the midst of starting a fully open source application for the masses who love root. This is a pre cursor we thought we would use to get some feedback and features you might like to see in a purely free and open source app. We are looking into project leaders and developers, at this time we have a few in mind. But please take the time to tell us what you would like to see. Here is a list of some features we are looking into having included on the start up.

• File management system
  • Font changing
  • Possibly overclocking
  • Recovery flashing
  • Reboot into certain options (I.E. Bootloader/recovery etc.)
  • Build Prop editor.
  • Much more!
We are setting this up to get some feedback of what you might like to see in the app, not everything can be in it from the start but we are excited that once we are done you can use the code to include it in your ROM's and use the code to build your own application!

If you would like to contribute please let us know by emailing us at [email protected]

Note* Do not ask for ETA's

Cheers!

Sully

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
This could be quite nice. I see file manager, font changer, and build.prop editor to be something to be quite nice for the first release.

I'm good a team management and getting all ideas thrown across the board and picking what'll be best for what and when. I wish I could help with development though I wish you guys luck.

Also there's a development platform or something I can't really remember called root tools or something like that made by @stericson on twitter which is for apps that will require root. Idk if you guys heard of it but it'd be interesting for it to be used if it fits.

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
This is a really good idea, and i would love to help if you ever need anything i'm a Java/Android Programer. Also if you have any writer positions still open i already sen't my application

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
A multiple ROM installer that would install ROM's on partitions so that you could flash between them relatively quickly. See Boot Manager. Also, if you're going to hi though the terrible of creating a recovery you might as well create a data back up a elk (like Titanium our My Backup). Although I don't see the point in reinventing the wheel. I like the idea that it would be open source so it could be implemented in a custom ROM or a cooked mod... Kind of like a Swiss army app!

·
Supporting Member
130 Posts
I love the idea. On top of the functionality that you mentioned I would like the ability to change boot screens and battery icons. Good luck, and I would like to thank those who will contribute in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Love it I want on the dev team.

How do you see this working? Standalone apk or public classes devs just call methods from a container package?

Either way enough talk let's see the github

·
Rooter
241 Posts
I plan to push this project to the RootzWiki github in the coming days, basing it on my unreleased toolbox project.

First push will be what I have done, and what is on my current todo list.

Then I or any interested developer can tackle suggestions in this thread.

Main project license will likely be GPLv2 or v3. All contributions will have to have a compatible license to be accepted.

Plugins maybe licenced as seen got by the author, unless they are using project code.

Developers:
Please remember that this is NOT a Rom/device specific app. I would like keep features with limited reach confined to plugins.

·
Android Nerd
105 Posts
I think it would be nice to include the device root wiki in the app. Possibly clean it up and make it a drop down option boxes that the user chooses and then after the selection it shows the wiki information about that phone in the app.

·
Rooter
241 Posts
supr2nr said:
I think it would be nice to include the device root wiki in the app. Possibly clean it up and make it a drop down option boxes that the user chooses and then after the selection it shows the wiki information about that phone in the app.
This should be handled on the website, with a mobile format for viewing the wiki. Of course we can link to it.

·
Android Nerd
105 Posts
Another great item to have would be a kernel repository in the app. Much in the of how kernel manager was supposed to work. Possibly have the developer list what roms he has tested it on. Specs of the kernel. Etc. This would be one last thing for a user to have resource else where to see if a specific kernel will work with their setup.

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
clear battery stats
uninstall root apps
mount system as writable on boot
fix permissions
logcat and dmesg on boot to .txt file (dont know if thats possible but would be great for testing)
enabling logcat to .txt for x amount of time
manage boot animations.zips
quick access to the info menu

1 - 20 of 32 Posts