Android OS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. There is probably more demand to be a moderator here than the new iPad. We are going to have you post here and tell us about yourself.
Here is some things we would like to know:

• How long have you been developing/hacking/modding and how long have you been involved with Android?
  • Have you moderated before?
  • Do you have any past experience with VBulletin?
  • If so what kind, explain thoroughly.
  • Are you willing to help Admin when needed?

We don't require exclusivity, but do ask if possible contribute to the site, are you willing to do the following?

• Help users?
  • Remain polite to users in need of assistance?
  • Present yourself as professional as possible?
  • How do you react in a negative situation?
  • How would you handle a conflict you can't resolve immediately?

We can't hire or give everyone moderator capabilities yet, the best way is to sign up and show us what you got to contribute to the modding community. If you want to help, let your friends know we are open for registration and we will get back to you. Please feel free to reply to this thread to sign up for the position!

-Admin

Update 10:31 PDT June 19th 2011:
We have closed this thread for a bit as we have enough applicants at the moment. If needed we will revisit the this thread and pick out of the applicants of those who are still interested. Thank you for your willingness to volunteer and help the site prosper.
Best Regards,
Steve

·
Lord Vader
64 Posts
- I've never actually developed for Android (probably because I have the coding skills of a 2 year old) but I've been around it for the better part of 2 years. Trying to teach myself java this summer so I can finally be a 1337 h4xx0rz :cool:
- I've moderated game forums, BB hybrid forums, my own forums, and every software from SMF to vB to myBB
- Unfortunately yes I do have past experience with the nightmare that is the vBulletin backend
- I'm willing to help whenever possible. That's why I'm here I hope

Obviously I'd be willing to help users, otherwise I wouldn't have registered
. In a negative situation I'd probably punch everyone in the nads and kick their babies out the window. I keed I'm usually pretty relaxed and warn people about what they did wrong but if it's a serious offense I can take more serious action (temp ban, etc.)

·
Themer
332 Posts
I don't have any experience with vBulletin but nor have I moderated but I've been on Android back to the Eris where I did do a little theming along with helping users with install instructions, help on errors, providing assistance to users stuck in loops etc. I would love to be able to help DroidX users the most because it's my current model and know it almost front to back. On XDA, I showed a lot of help to users and remain polite even when someone isn't being polite to me. The best way to resolve something is to immediately lock the thread until the situation can be resolved. I like trying to keep threads clean and to the point to better help users without having all the drama. Even if I don't get picked to moderate, I'll still help out the best that I can because I know I had and still have lots of help when I don't understand or having difficult with things. Congrats on the site its A+++++

·
Android Slave
152 Posts
Hey guys!

My name is Tyler, aka @iamtyy (i know, real original), and I am a 20 year old college senior at Arizona State University. I would love to help out as a Moderator!

I got my first Android phone (the OG moto Droid) in December of 2009. I had that phone for a year, and got super into customizing and playing around with the look of it, and right before getting my Droid X, made my first attempt at rooting the OG Droid. Although I never got it rooted (stupid mac
) I still plan on going back and rooting it at some point. Enter the DX. After having it for about two weeks, I decided to root it, and haven't looked back since! I've spent hours upon hours (as I'm sure all of us have) playing around with the device, going to far, bricking it, and SBF'ing it back to life, again and again. Its been a scary/crazy ride, that I'm glad to still be on. Last week, I got my Droid Charge, and am getting ready to root it.

As far as developing goes, I am just starting to get into it. I've done the basic Hello, Android apps (lol) and just started creating a theme for LauncherPro. I have a lot to learn, and can't wait to do so!

In the past, I have been involved in forum communities, and am very familiar with the ins and outs, and the politics and behaviors of people acting through the internet. While I don't have any specific VBulletin moderating experience, I am a quick learner!

I have been very open to helping out RootzWiki in any way I can, and since I am not much a developer (yet!) I hope that I can help out by being an engaged and active forum moderator. I consider myself very mature and responsible, and am very good at conflict resolution, and am not afraid to ask for help. I hope I can become a great addition to the team!

-Tyler

·
Average Android
172 Posts
How long have you been developing/hacking/modding and how long have you been involved with Android?
I personally have not developed for Android, but I am an avid modder of my DX and spend a lot of time playing with the various tweaks and mods that can be done to it.

Have you moderated before?
I used to moderate/admin on an old anime forum a few years back. We had about 500 members in our prime. The site ended up going down the tubes due to the owner quitting and me not having any money to afford the site.

Do you have any past experience with VBulletin?
The site I mentioned in the previous question had transitioned to VB. I actually was the one that set it up and installed all the plugins. My knowledge is probably slightly outdated at this point, but I am a quick learner.

Are you willing to help Admin when needed?
Yes.

We don't require exclusivity, but do ask if possible contribute to the site, are you willing to do the following:

Help users?
Of course. I like helping people when possible.

Remain polite to users in need of assistance?
Yes.

Present yourself as professional as possible?
Yes. I work in support now, so I have a lot of experience with acting professional with strangers and with people that are not acting professional.

How do you react in a negative situation?
With as much patience as possible. I also typically do my best to defuse the situation.

How would you handle a conflict you can't resolve immediately?
Message another admin/moderator who is available to handle the situation.

·
Editor
876 Posts
Hello!

I am interested both in becoming a moderator and learning how to develop for the Android platform so I can better help others.

Moderation experience includes three years at NVNews.net (2001-2004) as a member of the ModSquad and time as an editor/moderator of EnvyNews and site owner of GadgetLife (both now closed due to grad school/family). I own a vBulletin license from the Envy/GadgetLife days but have not worked extensively with the 4.0 platform yet. I have extensive experience with vBulletin's moderation system and can do minor system maintenance (i.e. change user status, add/remove/merge forums categories, run scripts, etc.) I learn new tasks quickly.

I am used to working in high-intensity environments, both as a moderator and as a professional educator. During my time at NVNews, I learned to deal with the video card fanboy factions in an effective and non-combative manner and was, for the most part, able to handle the moderation of non-tech discussions to the satisfaction of most involved. Moderation requires the ability to handle situations keenly in private as well as in the public eye; most situations can be cleared up quickly through private messages while letting all parties maintain their dignity. Situations that can't be resolved immediately have to be handled carefully, with prompt follow-up for each situation within a reasonable time frame and redirection to a better handling party if the situation or problem can't be resolved within that time frame.

Please feel free to use my sign-up information to contact me with further questions. I am glad to provide a list of references upon request. Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of a quickly growing community.

·
THAT guy...
146 Posts
Lets see here...

How long have you been developing/hacking/modding and how long have you been involved with Android? Modding and hacking for about a year and a half and involved with android for about 2 years.
Have you moderated before? Yes, a site that is no longer around.
Do you have any past experience with VBulletin? Umm not paticularly

If so what kind, explain thoroughly. N/A
Are you willing to help Admin when needed? I think it wouldn't be a problem most of the time, so yep.

We don't require exclusivity, but do ask if possible contribute to the site, are you willing to do the following?
Help users? Absolutely, help people out all the time with android stuff, its something I enjoy.
Remain polite to users in need of assistance? Yes, trolling is only a habit to those I call my friends. :)
Present yourself as professional as possible? I prefer to do what is in the best interest of the website, professional but have fun at the same time. No one wants to hate their job, right?
How do you react in a negative situation? Throw people down the stairs. Actually I just like to see what the root cause was and treat it from there if possible, that seems to solve things quickly.
How would you handle a conflict you can't resolve immediately? Seek help from a superior being on the site.

Vote for Pedro.

·
Android Developer
93 Posts
Part 1:
- 1+ yrs, Themes / ROMs / apps
-Yes, Plenty of places
-Yes, I love VBulletin
-Been a mod / admin on about 5 sites, 3 of my own.
-Yes, Helping admins is always fun

Part 2:
-Yes, Im always game to help people
-Yes, no reason to be a douche to people who need help
-Yes, gotta make myself and the site look presentable and professional
-I stay calm, and try to resolve it.
-Try and work it out ASAP, if it gets overly serious and cant resolve at all, ill prob have to resort to a temp ban (whilst following forum rules)

·
Android Enthusiast
86 Posts
Here is some things we would like to know:
How long have you been developing/hacking/modding and how long have you been involved with Android?
Android user for 2 years
Currently SMod/RS on 16 FF forums
Yes
If so what kind, explain thoroughly.
Viewing bans, doing bans, tracking IP addresses for comparison to members that come back with different user names
searching for users, moderating posts, events and visitor messages, posting announcements
Whenever I can

Help users?
Whenever help is needed
Yes
Yes
With a cool head
According to forum rules

·
Android Padawan
234 Posts
I've never developed for android and have no knowledge of how to do so (however I hope to change that soon), the only thing I've been doing in the world of Android is following IRC channels learning bits and pieces, helping people on XDA when I can, rooting friends and family members phones as well as my own, and being a member of flashaholics anonymous. As far as being involved in android goes I've been in since the OG Droid days which is nothing compared to the G1 guys but ever since root was available forums is all I knew.

-I've moderated on small forums that quickly died like TheDroidSector but don't have a lot of experience but I'm motivated and have a gungho attitude.
-Umm... vBulletin? I'm 12 and what is this?
-I can probably help a lot, currently unemployed, soon to change but I'm always on my phone or computer.

-Help users? Help is my middle name! I'd run down a desolate alley way if I heard someone scream help and that's a rare quality I tell you what.
-I'm almost always polite, I won't lie sarcastic on a frequent basis but when serious help is needed I'm there.
-Is sarcasm unprofessional? That's probably my only unprofessional quality unless you take the fact how professionally sarcastic I am into consideration

-As far as negative situations go I'm a calm, cool, and collective sort of guy. My girlfriend is always getting mad at me for being insensitive and seemingly emotionless. I don't get emotionally attached in arguments and am great at dissolving them.
-Conflicts that I can't handle immediately I usually take a break from it and go back into with a new perspective and try to look at it from both sides to find some common ground big enough for everyone to stand on. Big conflicts are usually settled best over a cup of joe, chill pills, and some good old fashioned adult conversation with mediators.

That's pretty much it I guess. Either way I'll be here enjoying the company you guys are great.

·
Android Apprentice
33 Posts
Well here goes mine.
Honestly I'm really new to android/computers in general. This past year I rooted my first device, then I flashed a custom rom and so on…
Now I am a developer for the motorola Cliq, I am a maintainer for the Cliq in CyanogenMod. I'm a kernel person, I don't know the specifics but I do know by trial and error.
So all together in about 6 months I've been involved =)
I don't claim to know everything but I have learned quite a lot and I don't mind sharing it with others.

I have absolutely no experiance in moderating but I do step in when I have to.
I don't have any experiance with vBulliten either but I'm pretty sure I can get it also =)

I am willing to help anywhere I be needed.
I would carry myself in a respective manner by not only representing myself but the forum itself.
I will also remain polite to any new users, I will not treat people like so called "noobs" we all started there and in different aspects are still noobs.
For any probelms that would arise, I will always be polite no matter how negative the issue is.

When a problem that would not be able to be resolved immediately I would either go to a person higher than me or have a private conversation with the party at hand. =)

Just to tell you guys ill probably still keep peace whether or not I become a mod ;D

Sent from my CLIQ using Tapatalk

·
I v0id warran7ies
94 Posts

I have been an Android user since May 2010. I tried making themes and compiling a kernel for the Samsung Spica but with not much modding success. I have two Android phones the Samsung Spica and the Nexus One. I love modding and tweaking them. Apart from that I have modded my friends Acer Liquid, LG Optimus One, Nook Color, Samsung Galaxy 3, Samsung Galaxy S and the HTC Desire HD.

Yes I am currently the moderator of samdroid forum.

Yes Samdroid forum is running VBulletin 4.0.6.

I have experience in editing posts, moving posts, moving posts to the right section and experience on all other activities which a moderator is capable of.

Yes, Of Course.

Help users?
Well that is what all members including me are here for.

yes, the first aim is to help other members.

Yes, I know how to do that, have learned a lot from samdroid regarding that and considering the fact that I work in a IT firm, I do send a lot mails and I need to sound professional.

The best way to react to a negative situation is to make the user realize his mistake without reacting. I have been abused by a few members on samdroid and after a few days they did apologize.

Patience is the key here.

·
Android Apprentice
289 Posts
I have not officially developed, or modded for the community, but I have attempted on my personal cellphone. I have been involved with android for over a year.
I have not moderated for an android based forum but I have had to moderate within a college online forum off and on for a little over 2 years.
I have not utilized the software personally, but I am aware of what the software is capable of.
I am always willing to Admin even when the need is not present. I spend a lot of my free time surfing android forums and helping the community members when I can.

·
Pastafarian
125 Posts
Approximately 5 years, I helped port Android 1.0/1.5 to the HTC Mogul back in the day, I have pics to prove it haha. I do some minor work in Java and Ruby but I'm pretty rusty.
Yes, I have approximately 2 years of moderating experience from various other sites.
I understand the basics.
See above, I learn very fast and adapt when needed.
Absolutely, isn't that part of being a community?

Help users?
That's the point of a community.
A little patience and explanation goes a long way.
I'm representing RootzWiki, so it's important to represent them professionally.
Postively
Do everything in my ability and power to resolve the situation, utilize resources to assist in handling the conflict, and only when necessary escalate the issue above myself.

I'd also like to add that I am able to mediate and remain calm and collect as a moderator when it comes to "interesting" situations, I currently work for the local county government and that skill is an important aspect of my job.

All in all, good judgement and common sense are the most important tools a moderator can utilize.

·
Android Apprentice
22 Posts
•How long have you been developing/hacking/modding and how long have you been involved with Android?
I've been involved for a year with android. While I haven't done any developing, I have helped test a few themes for @bignadad (BigDx Serenity and Crystal X) and for @bgill55 (SynErgy for CM7). I've also tested early versions of ROMs for Derek (Rubix developer for the Dx).

•Have you moderated before?
I have not moderated a forum before, but have built and maintained a wiki for a large corporation (over 45,000 employees) and was the main admin for the wiki.

•Do you have any past experience with VBulletin?
I have not used vBulletin, but I pick things up very quick (currently work as a Systems Engineer/Administrator) and will do some research as well.

•If so what kind, explain thoroughly.
N/A

•Are you willing to help Admin when needed?
Of course, I am a main source of support at my current job, its what I do best.

•Help users?
Of course, did a ton of support for a huge thread I had at XDA. I have already moved my thread over to this forum and put a link on XDA saying I would be continuing my support here.
•Remain polite to users in need of assistance?
Always. I'm huge on helping people out, and see no reason to be upset. We all have to start learning somewhere, and someone was patient with me, love being able to return the favor whenever I can.
•Present yourself as professional as possible?
No prob, have to do this same thing at my job every day. In android, the same applies.

•How do you react in a negative situation?
Just provide the best feedback you can that still helps a user. I have spent over 4+ hours in a single day with one person helping them unbrick a Dx and get them back on their feet. That same user asked for help repeatedly for 2 weeks and was able to get them rooted and what they wanted. If you remain calm and collected, they won't get as upset, just help the user get what they would like to achieve (unless its impossible) in which case all you can do is explain it as well as possible, and leave them with the info at hand.

•How would you handle a conflict you can't resolve immediately?
If its a problem that involves providing a user with an answer; let them know you are working on it and provide feedback as you can. If it is a personal problem, you have to try and see things from the user perspective, try to take a step in their shoes and understand where they are coming from. A lot of times, conflicts are simply a misunderstanding especially when thoughts/feelings aren't best communicated in text over the web.

·
Captivate/Atrix Dev
38 Posts
admin said:
A little more than 2 years. Started with an HTC Kaiser, then an HTC Hero. Now I'm developing ROM's and kernels for the Samsung Captivate, and also own an Infuse & Galaxy S II. In the near future I hope to start developing for those two as well. I'm also a RAN Engineer for a major US carrier.

admin said:
I'm currently an SMod at several sites. 3 pertain to Android, and one is for the PS3.

admin said:
Only using forums, and moderating/using the Admin panel.

admin said:
----- See above.

admin said:
Sure!

admin said:
Help users?
Most certainly.

admin said:
Always.

admin said:
That's most important. Keeping things professional keeps the forum looking good, and is the best way to make a good first impression on new users.

admin said:
Try to reason, and see both sides of the predicament, and if possible, diffuse the argument.

admin said:
Try to cool the situation down, and PM the users and handle it privately.[/QUOTE]

·
I am the Stig
223 Posts

I have been an avid Android enthusiest since the days of the G1. I mostly stayed with Android, but did dabble in some iPhone stuff. I am not a dev, but very familiar with rooting, some theming, tweaks, and definitely ADB on Windows and Mac.

I have moderated and administered multiple small vBulletin and phpBB forums.

As previously mentioned, I have admin'd vBulletin forums from start to tweaks from vBulletin.net. I am very familiar with managing users / groups, implementation spam prevention and other tweaks (such as themes, games, ranking systems, etc).

Yes whenever needed

Customer Service

I work in Desktop Support which is primarily focused on customer service as well as technical knowledge. I would handle moderating the same.

Problems in past forums have been resolved on a case by case basis for unusual issues. Common problems such as spam, flaming, excessive swearing etc would start with a warning and progressed as a day ban, wekk, so on. Consultation from a senior moderator or admin will be contacted as necessary for out of the ordinary problems.

I look forward to hearing back as this is sure to be a great community. On another note, I am always available and by a computer for any immediate need.

·
Android Master Jedi
377 Posts
I've been a root user for about 1.5 years. During this time I've owned the d1 and THUNDERBOLT. I flash roms, kernels, radios, themes, all the time (sometimes daily). On the d1 I also did a lot of testing with rzrecovery. I've been in some pickles (which is inevitable) and have always worked my way out of them. I've taken all I've learned and used it to help others out when I can. I'm also a Linux user, so the command line and adb are not complicated for me. I'm learning Java right now, because I want to develop apps.

I've never been a mod, and have only used VBulletin as a user. I am a quick learner though, and i know it's pretty simple.

I am willing to help Admin, and i certainly have the time on my hands to contribute. I'm a disabled vet and as a result a stay at home dad, so a laptop is always handy.

I can certainly help users politely, and conduct myself as a professional. Throughout my time as a Staff Sergeant in the Army, I learned to work with and around all different types of people. I am certain I can handle any situation thrown at me in a professional manner and in accordance with the rules of the forums.

I love this community, and in turn want to see it grow and thrive! The best way we can make this happen is by policing ourselves up, keeping it respectful, and assisting those who need a hand. That is what I try to do, and would certainly intend on doing as a mod.

If you want to look me up, I use sgtguthrie as my username at DroidForums, XDA, and ThunderboltForums where I'm an active member.

Thanks in advance for your consideration! I'm excited about this forum, and anxious to see it grow...

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
17 Posts
It would be great to be a moderator. I do not develop. I have assisted people on numerous site along with some others on here over the past 4 years; BBOS, MDW, and XDA. I believe people need educated on the options that open source gives us. I try to educate the people that are frustrated with so-called repeatative questions, and new questions, as people are learning, just the way we all did. That usually stops the flaming. My use of interpersonal skills comes in handy when dealing with flamers and trolls. When all in doubt the rules of the forum need to be followed. I have assisted admins post articles through searches and would be willing to assist any way I can to get the community to thrive. I have been a beta tester for various themes, apps, and roms. I am not familiar with vbulliten, but am a quick learner.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.