Android OS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ROM Psycho
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm, was looking at Bitdefender, I know they are pretty good with computers, anyone use them for their phone?

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.bitdefender.security&feature=search_result

I know the census is pretty much torn, some people say AV is a waste saying being Linux based its not really needed and some people swear by it. I dunno, i thought just watching what was downloaded was good enough.

Opinions? Suggestions? Devs? ( u guys prob have the most experience with this type of stuff), Better safe than sorry? :_con: :erm (1):

·
I just live here
475 Posts
I know malware filled apps are out there, if programs like these are really necessary ... is a good question. My wife found an app that had malware. It installed random bs apps and really slowed down her phone. Uninstall the app / apps and the problem is gone. I am yet to hear of anything that would / could do actual damage to a phone to warrant the need for a "AV"

·
ROM Psycho
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rythmyc said:
I know malware filled apps are out there, if programs like these are really necessary ... is a good question. My wife found an app that had malware. It installed random bs apps and really slowed down her phone. Uninstall the app / apps and the problem is gone. I am yet to hear of anything that would / could do actual damage to a phone to warrant the need for a "AV"
see and I know there are phishing and malware, but haven't heard of a macro, worm, trojan etc for phones. Also an app lke lookout runs 10-20mbs of ram. yikes

·
Supporting Member
130 Posts
I use Lookout Security & Antivirus, this gives you the ability to recover your phone if it is lost and scans software installs for suspicious activity. I checked out Bitdefender and it looks good too, I may check it out. Give it a download, what do you have to lose?

·
ROM Psycho
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True, its suppose to be "passive" according to the advertisement only activating when you open it. It simply scans the apps and the SD card primarily. I'll run in for a few days and report back.

bump on the Devs opinion?

·
ROM Psycho
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks good ilk gove it a try. don't really think bitdefender is doing anything other than scanning my sd

·
Android Apprentice
58 Posts
i used wavesecure before mcafee rolled antivirus, browsing protection, etc. into it.

i'm not all that concerned about malicious software on my device(s). i'd rather have a chance of recovering it if it was stolen or lost or whatever than have something digging through my SD card for windows or android malware.

that being said, i think lookout works well and has a lot of features for a free app. webroot's also nice. just not my thing :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts