Android OS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOW WITH CUSTOM BOOTSPLASHES! MORE TO COME SOON...
All you guys, PM me any images you want as boot splashes, and I'll see what I can do...

SAFE TO FLASH, IF PROCEDURE FOLLOWED PROPERLY AND NOT INTERRUPTED

SOLVE YOUR RECOVERY AND RAINBOW PROBLEMS ON GINGERBREAD ROMS
WORKS ACROSS FROYO AND GINGERBREAD ROMS BASED ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S I9000 OR SGS-T959.
ALSO WORKING PERFECTLY WITH CYANOGENMOD AND MIUI
When we got Gingerbread ROMs, we also faced the issue of not being able to see the Recovery on the GB Kernels and having to see our screens go funny which were safely called Rainbows! Well, no more !! Flash these Gingerbread Bootloaders and there you go, no issues on Gingerbread except GPS!!

If You can ODIN to JFD, and can see the Download Mode, You can do this.
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU'RE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY USER ERROR. I HAVE THESE FILES WORKING 100% ONLY ON A SGS-T959 VIBRANT. FLASHING BOOTLOADERS IS RISKY IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. HOWEVER, BASIC KNOWLEDGE AND COMMON SENSE MAKES IT SURE YOU WON'T GO WRONG WHILE DOING IT.[/CENTER]

This is a small attempt to create bootloader only flashables similar to EZ Boot on the Galaxy S forums, however for our T959 Vibrant... These bootloaders will only have the Vibrant Boot logo and not the I9000 logo, hence maintaining the original look of your phones...

Both the tar packages contain sbl.bin, boot.bin and param.lfs files and have md5 checksums to maintain file integrity when flashing with ODIN. They're working 100% for me... I flashed them atleast 5 times alternatively between them on 3 different ROMs before uploading. So yes, I know the packages are correct.

Gingerbread Bootloaders - No Rainbow - Fully visible Recovery on all ROMs]

Benefits - No more rainbows on Gingerbread 2.3 ROMs like Simply Honey GB, LiDroid, Asgard, etc.

Convenient Key Maps for entering Recovery and Download Modes. (I personally like these mappings over the Standard Vibrant Mapping as you can enter download mode directly without needing to turn off phone or remove battery etc...)

For Recovery - Lower Volume Key + Power Button
For Download - Upper Volume Key + Power Button

Froyo Bootloader - Revert to Vibrant

Benefits - Original bootloaders to revert to stock for Vibrant based ROMs. Also, for MIUI and CM7...

Key Maps
For Recovery - Both Volume Keys + Power Button
For Download - Both Volume Keys and Connect USB Cable

How to DO

ODIN Guide
Please follow this step by step, else I won't be responsible for any DAMAGE.

1. Enter Download mode on your phone.
2. Open ODIN on your computer.
3. Plug in USB and check if ODIN recognizes the phone.
4. Remove all ticks from ODIN, except PDA.
5. Select PDA and browse to the bootloader TAR package file you wish to flash.
6. Click on Flash.
7. If ODIN says PASS, long press power for 10 seconds and it'll reboot, else, repeat 2-6 again...

Avoid exiting download mode if you think the flashing wasn't correct. If however, the peogress window did not start flashing any file, you might just manage to safely reboot and re-enter download mode.

Please note, you do not need to use the PIT file since it will be used automatically from the native partition on the phone.

ODIN shall automatically verify the integrity of the tar package using the included md5 hash. However, for personal prudence, I'd suggest you do that before hand.

CUSTOM GINGERBREAD BOOTLOADERS DOWNLOAD LINK

1. Green Android Logo
- Mediafire Download Link
- DropBox Download Link

MD5 Sum - ab17ca277adbc3cd355d7f31ff89bee9

2. Rainbow in my Eye

- DropBox Download Link

MD5 Sum - 42f2c260b6aa272592dd1f0f3cd77f0c

GINGERBREAD BOOTLOADER DOWNLOAD LINK

- DROPBOX Download Link

MD5 Sum - b34df5c2db723eacc534013a011885ad

JFD ODIN File - For use after installing Gingerbread Bootloaders

http://www.multiupload.com/HRYJKFLKFQ "Thanks to laylovj"

MD5: 977E2136996E7138945447A8245D6776

If you have Gingerbread Bootloaders installed and you end up ODINing to stock (JFD), you will notice it changes the bootsplash to I9000. You can either reflash a GB bootloader again, or simply use the ODIN package above to do so.

VIBRANT STOCK (FROYO) BOOTLOADER DOWNLOAD LINK

- DROPBOX Download Link

MD5 Sum - 754ecbd8e76d4f81bec49240031f3262

Video

[video]http://www.youtube.com/yJGBBmGI3U[/video]

The video here shows Galaxy S i9000 after ODIN. That is because I forgot to include the corrected param.lfs in the packages... However, its been included in the above packges.

Donation Link

I don't demand any donation, but if you think I helped, you may buy me a crate of beer, or contribute to my SGS II kitty by hitting the donation button under my Username. Thanks !!

·
Android Beginner
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reserved by OP:

DISCLAIMER: IT IS UNSAFE IF YOU ARE A NOOB! TAKE OFFENCE AND DON'T FLASH IT, RATHER THAN FLASH AND BRICK YOUR PHONE

Definition of a Noob

A person who does something to his phone not knowing what he did or what would happen next.

Definition of a DumbHead
All qualities of a Noob + I did not read the OP or FAQs.

FAQs:

1. Is it unsafe?
Flashing a bootloader incorrectly technically bricks your phone. So its like having a single shot at what you're doing, you either keep doing it right and shuffle between the bootloaders, or you do it wrong just once, and you might have a dead phone.

2. What ROMs can I use with the GB Bootloader?
You can use any ROM - 2.1, 2.2 or 2.3 without needing to alter affect your bootloaders as they are backward compatible. However, DO NOT FLASH OR ODIN the following packages
- ODIN Packages containing only an Sbl.bin
- ODIN Packages containing only a boot.bin

If the package contains both, it would technically upgrade/downgrade your bootloader, hence being safe if they are the correct files.

3. Should I flash this before/after flashing a new ROM
You can flash this at anytime, before or after, both are safe.

4. Will it affect performance?
Bootloaders are not known to alter performance. However, on Gingerbread ROMs ported from I9000, they have helped solve the presence of the Rainbow screens, and also allow you to view recovery directly from the phone.

5. Will my 3 button combi work?
If you have the Gingerbread Bootloaders, no. Use the combinations mentioned in the OP to enter both recovery and download mode.

6. Which .pit should I use?
The phone itself has its native .pit partition to take care of any such issues. So not using a .pit file will not affect/harm you. I suggest you not to use one. However, if you do use one, use this - s1_odin_20100512.pit
It is the same we use for ODIN to JFD or Eugene's Froyo that does not brick.

7. What to do when an Official Vibrant update for Gingerbread arrives?
Safest option - Return to Stock Vibrant Froyo bootloaders as in the OP. They will return you to factory bootloaders and any Gingerbread upgrades containing either an sbl.bin or boot.bin or both shall flash just fine. You may choose not to do this, if you're aware of what you're doing.

8. Can I ODIN to stock JFD like I always did?
The JFD Odin packages that I have seen don't contain sbl.bin or boot.bin ! Hence, till that's the case, its safe to ODIN to stock. Please check your ODIN tar packages using 7zip or WinRAR or any other Archive utility for absence/presence of the mentioned files. If they do appear, they should be present together. Else, if they don't appear, you are safe to ODIN to stock.

9. Whatever I flash, I end up in Recovery! What should I do?
Flash stock Vibrant bootloaders, then ODIN to stock JFD. You should be good to go here onwards... I only had this issue when I tried changing bootloaders over MIUI/CM7. Couldn't replicate on Samsung ROMs...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts