Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured we needed a thread to discuss the BootManager app.

First, big thumbs up to GFlam & Conap for this app! I used Conap's CELEB CM Roms on the Eris for a long time.

Now:
They have a Manual on their site.

What does it do? You keep your rom on the phone, and you can add up to 4 more on your SD card. You use the app's menu to select which one you want to boot into next.

What is it? it is an apk you can get from the market. It lives on your phone. It doesn't mess with Clockwork and such.

What's the catch? There is something you have to pay attention to...It requires a connection to the market to verify it's authenticity. So, whenever you add a new rom, you need to connect it to the market...the trick: you need to flash gapps right after you flash a rom before you boot into it.

What If I forgot to flash gapps?!? No big deal. If you boot into a rom you installed that doesn't have the market, the BootManager app won't work, so you can't use it to boot back into another rom. They have a solution - boot into recovery and flash the "update.zip" located in the bootmanager>phonerom folder on your sd. Then your phone will reboot into your internal phone rom.

What's the catch, part 2? Some roms have custom scripts that run when they boot, so they don't play well, especially when installed on the SD card.

What else do I need to know? Rom installs take longer. After installing, the roms on the sd card do not lag. You can back up the roms that you install through the app.

This is a dream for people who want to play with nightlies or try a bunch of roms, but need their old-reliable come Monday morning. Check it out!

Disclaimer: I have no affliliation with Init 2 Win It. I just love this app.
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start with a question, too. I put BAMF3.0 rc 4.9 in an SD slot. When I boot in, everything works except Titanium Backup can't find root. Anyone else have this problem?
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
60 Posts
Not to be a naysayer, but how does this work?

Does it swap ROM images by backing up then restoring or is it true dual boot?

I ask because it seems to me like you have to put a lot of faith in it doing whatever it does correctly or risk a soft brick that you can only fix by flashing an RUU.

EDIT: Read the manual and answered many questions. It sounds like it installs a different boot.img for each ROM that points it to an image on your SD card for that ROM. The net is that it runs these off the SD card (so they suggest overclocking to avoid lag). The original phone ROM remains untouched other than the boot.img. And apparently you can fix corrupted boots by installing an update.zip through Recovery.

Below question is unanswered as it relates to save files on the SD card.


And the followup question, how does it handle app data across multiple roms? Seems like some stuff in some apps might not play nice with a quad boot approach and has a higher potential for apps getting messed up.

Again, not trying to be a pessimist, these are just the questions I want answered before using it.

Sent courtesy of SID6.7 and Tapatalk
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
57 Posts
sidsixseven said:
Not to be a naysayer, but how does this work?

Does it swap ROM images by backing up then restoring or is it true dual boot?

I ask because it seems to me like you have to put a lot of faith in it doing whatever it does correctly or risk a soft brick that you can only fix by flashing an RUU.

And the followup question, how does it handle app data across multiple roms? Seems like some stuff in some apps might not play nice with a quad boot approach and has a higher potential for apps getting messed up.

Again, not trying to be a pessimist, these are just the questions I want answered before using it.

Sent courtesy of SID6.7 and Tapatalk
Each rom gets a slot. Each slot has its own data, system, cache, etc. Basically, it installs a new rom in its own private environment, then changes the boot image to boot to that particular rom. Since every rom has its own data, theres no crossover and apps need to be installed per rom. Kernels as well.

Radio is the only thing that stays the same, so if you have MR2+, all roms must be MR2 compatible.

Been using it for a number of roms. There's a few quirks (mentioned in OP), but it works great. Only rom I've had issues with is Gingeritis 3D.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
 

·
RootzBoat Swashbuckler
Joined
·
101 Posts
I was looking into trying this out because I have run into several issues with the current Gingeritis builds but love the speed they offer. Was looking into running some AOSP roms since I don't use sense launcher because I finally got bored of it and switched back to LPP.

But for the $3 it costs is it really worth the money over just using different back ups of other roms? I know it takes time/battery to run backups but that isn't really an issue for me.
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
60 Posts
WishRyder said:
Since every rom has its own data, theres no crossover and apps need to be installed per rom. Kernels as well.
This assumes all apps store all data in /data. Some apps store stuff in /sdcard and it sounds like all roms use the same /sdcard. This would lead me to believe that there is some bleedover, right?

But perhaps no different than restoring backups...?

Sent courtesy of SID6.7 and Tapatalk
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
57 Posts
sidsixseven said:
This assumes all apps store all data in /data. Some apps store stuff in /sdcard and it sounds like all roms use the same /sdcard. This would lead me to believe that there is some bleedover, right?

But perhaps no different than restoring backups...?

Sent courtesy of SID6.7 and Tapatalk
Good point. I hadn't thought about that actually. I've yet to run into any issues but I'll be sure to keep a closer eye on things.

In all honesty, I had used titanium to restore apps to one rom, but ended up blowing it all away anyways.

All of the roms I have installed currently are "virgin" just to keep an eye on new features in case I want to make them my daily driver, or to show alternate roms to people around the office without having to mess with my phone rom.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
 

·
Android Lover
Joined
·
919 Posts
Please explain this. I've read the manual and all. So once I installed the rom from the sdcard. Does that become the phonerom or is it just running on the sdcard and on top of the phonerom.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
57 Posts
dadsterflip said:
Please explain this. I've read the manual and all. So once I installed the rom from the sdcard. Does that become the phonerom or is it just running on the sdcard and on top of the phonerom.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Boot Manager simply allows additional roms to be installed to the sdcard and then booted from the sdcard. Nothing runs "on top of" anything (its not a virtual machine), as everything gets its own "partition" on the sdcard that the app simply allows you to boot into (rather than into the typical phone rom). The phone rom itself remains untouched and is still available to boot to as normal at any time.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
 

·
Android Lover
Joined
·
919 Posts
WishRyder said:
Boot Manager simply allows additional roms to be installed to the sdcard and then booted from the sdcard. Nothing runs "on top of" anything (its not a virtual machine), as everything gets its own "partition" on the sdcard that the app simply allows you to boot into (rather than into the typical phone rom). The phone rom itself remains untouched and is still available to boot to as normal at any time.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
So your saying that whatever you boot on your sdcard becomes the new phone rom correct.? Thx alot

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
 

·
Android Lover
Joined
·
919 Posts
one more thing. once i boot into the sdcard rom. could i make that my daily driver and be ok? or do i need to manually install it from recovery then?
 

·
Android Apprentice
Joined
·
57 Posts
dadsterflip said:
So your saying that whatever you boot on your sdcard becomes the new phone rom correct.? Thx alot

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
No. Your phone rom remains installed to your internal rom. The app doesn't change that. The app simply installs roms to your sdcard (as if it were your internal phone rom).

The sdcard roms remain on your sdcard. The app essentially allows you to ignore your internal rom during boot, and boot into your sdcard to run the rom from there (again, as if it were your internal phone rom).

Since the additional roms actually run directly from the sdcard itself, this is why there can be lag related issues. At any time, from any rom, you can enter the boot manager app and choose to boot to any of your installed roms (including back into your phone rom).

I wish I could explain it better than that. :-(

EDIT: You could use an sdcard rom as your daily driver, as long as you don't mind running your rom directly off the sdcard (typically runs a little slower).

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
 

·
Android Lover
Joined
·
919 Posts
WishRyder said:
No. Your phone rom remains installed to your internal rom. The app doesn't change that. The app simply installs roms to your sdcard (as if it were your internal phone rom).

The sdcard roms remain on your sdcard. The app essentially allows you to ignore your internal rom during boot, and boot into your sdcard to run the rom from there (again, as if it were your internal phone rom).

Since the additional roms actually run directly from the sdcard itself, this is why there can be lag related issues. At any time, from any rom, you can enter the boot manager app and choose to boot to any of your installed roms (including back into your phone rom).

I wish I could explain it better than that. :-(

EDIT: You could use an sdcard rom as your daily driver, as long as you don't mind running your rom directly off the sdcard (typically runs a little slower).

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
No that explains it perfect. That was my main concern was running it on the sdcard. I'm not sure long term effects.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
1 Posts
I had this issue when installing OMFGB and CM 7 1.4. I fixed it by checking all three boxes and perform a fresh install of the roms and gapps for each. I also noticed that flashing kernels under the kernel option did not stick, but was able to flash it on top of each rom slot. I don't think this plays nice with Fusion script. Just my experience.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
 

·
Android Beginner
Joined
·
18 Posts
This app doesn't seem to work for me. Everytime I try to install a rom, I use Ext 2 and in the middle of making the .img it will show some sort of error that asks "does this rom support ext 2?"
I've tried installing the latest CM7, Synergy Rom, and Das Bamf, but no luck. I'm currently running Liquid Thunderbread 2.5.
 

·
Average Android
Joined
·
60 Posts
WishRyder said:
I wish I could explain it better than that. :-(
It's similar to dual booting a computer with different Operating Systems on different disk drive partitions. The boot.img file gets changed so that instead of it booting up off the internal phone storage, it boots up from the sdcard instead. Basically, it's like a computer booting up from the D:\ drive instead of the C:\ drive.

Although I think what is a bit misleading in the Manual is the lag issue. The devs certainly address and mention it but the suggested solution is to simply overclock. A lot of us like to try different ROMs to test out how they perform. However, whatever rom is installed in the internal storage is always going to perform better than those on the sdcard.

So do they have a nice way to copy a ROM from an sdcard slot to the internal phone storage slot?
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rebelxing123 said:
This app doesn't seem to work for me. Everytime I try to install a rom, I use Ext 2 and in the middle of making the .img it will show some sort of error that asks "does this rom support ext 2?"
I've tried installing the latest CM7, Synergy Rom, and Das Bamf, but no luck. I'm currently running Liquid Thunderbread 2.5.
I have been using ext2 for all mine with no problems. I've installed CM7, liquid, Bamf3.0, and the "stock" mr2 build (for fun...I was bored...I'll probably never boot into it again).
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
D3fault121 said:
But for the $3 it costs is it really worth the money over just using different back ups of other roms? I know it takes time/battery to run backups but that isn't really an issue for me.
$3 isn't a bad price...less than I spend on sodas in a day.
switching roms this way is a lot faster than restoring nand backups. It takes only a couple of seconds longer than a plain old reboot. All the app is doing is cuing up a different boot.img, and then the phone restarts.
 

·
Supporting Member
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sidsixseven said:
And the followup question, how does it handle app data across multiple roms? Seems like some stuff in some apps might not play nice with a quad boot approach and has a higher potential for apps getting messed up.
There seems to be some separation with the sdcard data, too. I am not sure. I downloaded a file in one rom, and when I switched it wasn't in the "downloads" folder like I expected. I haven't rebooted into the other rom to try to find where the file went yet. I've been wondering about this, too.

I don't care if my pictures & music co-mingle, but I hope the Rosie settings don't get messed up if I have 2 sense roms on board.

A strategy I am considering: multiple installs of the same rom, each with different purposes (so there is no risk of cross-contamination). For instance, you could do a cm7 for daily use and another cm7 for games. I don't know what I'll do...that is the nice thing about this - the possibilities!

I also want to find out what needs to happen to make Ubuntu one of the roms in the menu.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top