Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
Great freaking news. More AOSP handsets, unlocked bootloaders, bigger patent portfolio to shove back at apple and MS. Need I say more. ;)

·
Prepare Your Android
252 Posts
I like the solidarity that the other manufacturers are showing by supporting the move. It's good to know that there probably won't be any petty bickering amongst them because of it.

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
My only concern is that Motorola will produce more.AOSP handsets, (Good) and this was cause alot of people to leave other manufacturers,(Bad). And instead of the other OEMs making more AOSP handsets to compete with them, they will start argueing and sueing and such. Don't know if it will happen but it makes me worry. As long as that doesn't happen, then this will be a win/win deal.

·
Android Apprentice
40 Posts
I think it's great news. Solidify and strengthen the Android Army. Build up the numbers. Prepare for the Zerg Rush.

Next? Buy Sprint.

·
Android Apprentice
18 Posts
Well,

I think it's a good move, more AOSP handsets and more freedoms. Recently Android has sold more than iPhone(-shreaks-) so I think expanding won't hurt.I believe you'll see more innovation from these home developers rather than the other big ones, and probably better support.

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
With Google saying they are going to run Motorola as a seperate company I don't know if we will see any real changes in Motorola right off. Essentially they are buying Motorola for the patents they own. Then equipment is just a bonus. So it could go either way. We could see more AOSP handsets or we may not see any. Just won't know until the deal is final which will be late this year or early next year.

·
O_o
1,395 Posts
Yeah they have already said that Moto will be run separately and will still have to compete to become a Nexus device. Now with that said, I hope being owned by Google eventually puts at least a LITTLE pressure on Moto to offer vanilla/unlocked devices from time to time.

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
I agree. I would like to see them produce at least one non nexus AOSP device and make it available to all carriers

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
Oh yeah. All they need is a CDMA, GSM, and IDEN AOSP devices. Then do like Samsung. Just name them different names and send them to all the carriers. I personally just want to see a few more phones out there like the nexus made available for everyone. Variety baby. Its all about variety. :)

·
Android Apprentice
18 Posts
I agree, variety is a good thing. But at the same thing, I really like quality over quantity :p If only you didn't have to wait 2 years to get upgrades at a decent price :(

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
At USCC. With belief points you don't. I get one per year pretty much. Sometimes its 13-14 months. But absolutely I would also prefer quality over quantity.

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
What's not to be stoked about. Google just showed they are not affraid to get down and whoop some butt. ;) they got the ammo now. Lets see how apple feels when they have to pay licensing fees to the same people they filed suite against

·
Supporting Member
783 Posts
There is an excellent write up on it at android central if you haven't already checked it out. Clears up alot and gives an idea of what Google plans are and where this will probably go in the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts