Android OS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Android Beginner
25 Posts
For the Droid X

Here's some info on calibrating your batterys on the DX,I had used this before on some of the other android phones with good results.

since our light dont work the same as other phones you will need to go to settings/gummy settings/battery text to turn on the % indicator so we can keep an eye on it.

fully charge your phone untill it's @ 100%..overnite works best.

unplug your DX for 1 minute..plug it back in,wait untill its at 100% again

now unplug your DX and power it off,once its powered down pug your charger back into it..it should power up

once it has powered back up,wait a min untill it setlles then power it back down (charger still plugged in) when it powers down it should automaticly power back up

now watch your indicator..when it reaches 100% unplug it,when it dropps to 99% plug it back in,it should take a min or two to reach 100% again

when it reaches 100%,unplug it and wait for it to go back to 99%,plug it back in when it does.now it should be charging back to 100% fairly quickly

once it gets to 100% do it again,this time it should reach 100% almost instantly, less than 30sec

now at this point boot into CWM recovery and scroll down to advanced then scroll down to wipe battery stats confirm and let it do it's thing

go back and choose reboot system

But wait, you aren't finished yet. Now for the often overlooked part of this process. You NEED to allow your phone 2 or 3 good battery cycles in order to properly build the new battery stats.
Note on battery cycle: By cycle, I mean you need to allow the battery to fully discharge. If possible disable the power saving options. You won't lose features that way and you will have a slow, steady discharge. Run the device until the battery dies, and then plug back in and charge it until you get the green light.

After a few of these cycles you will have a battery that matches the statistics reported to the operating system, and should get better battery life and will certainly get more accurate capacity reporting.

did this to my DX and its doubled my battery time already and I'm still in the battery cycle phase.
big thanks to CharliesTheMan over at TeamBAMF for writing up the outline on how to do this

·
Goosie Pizzle
2,582 Posts
First part makes sense. You are essentially forcing the DX to *top* itself. When a Li-Ion battery charges it doesn't stay at 100%. It will charge to around 99%, allow it to drop to 95% or so, then recharge. This is how they work, for a reason. Overcharging the battery can cause damage. What you are essentially doing is forcing it to push the charge cycle to 100% before you truly take it off the charger, so you will see a longer battery life...

...that being said...

Overcharging the battery is bad in the long run. You may get slightly longer life in the short run, but your battery will not last as long. Wiping battery stats is absolutely worthless. It has been debunked over and over and I don't know why it still gets passed around. Li-Ion batteries do not have retainable memory. All the battery stats bin file does is record past battery usage and has absolutely no implication towards future usage, in fact it is automatically wiped when you charge your phone to 100% anyways, so its redundant based on the fact you already just did that if you were following this. Please refer to the G+ post by the Google engineer who wrote the programming that writes the battery stats bin file here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/105051985738280261832/posts/FV3LVtdVxPT

Finally, its bad to let Li-Ion batteries fully discharge. It seems like its lasting longer because you are making it last longer, rather than plugging it in at 30% or so. Doing full charge/discharge cycles will result in decreased battery life in the long run and will eventually destroy your battery. Please read here:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

In other words: its best just to let the phone do its things. The Google engineers aren't sitting back looking at these *fixes* and saying well, we should never incorporate these in to AOSP... the fact is they look at them and say "that's a bunch of voodoo" and don't put them in the code. If you want your battery to last longer, start doing things not related to the battery... start looking at how you are using your phone, what your CPU settings are, governors you are using, etc.

I hope you take this as no offense meant, I'm just trying to be helpful. Some of the things you are suggesting are actually destructive towards your phone, and I want that to be known before anyone's battery dies a year early from fully discharging it 3 times every time they flash a new ROM rather than just letting the phone do its thing.

·
Android Apprentice
497 Posts
What he said and...it has said by the guy from Google that initially wrote the code clearing battery stats does nothing. In fact it is cleared every time you reboot the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using RootzWiki

·
Player Hater
1,081 Posts
Don't forget to sacrifice a chicken while dancing naked around the tiki torch in your yard.

Blah blah batterystats emergency blah xD

Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk

·
Android Master
3,956 Posts
USING your phone is what calibrates your battery. Not hokey religions and ancient weapons

Reactions: x13thangelx

·
Boot logo addict
344 Posts
Don't forget to sacrifice a chicken while dancing naked around the tiki torch in your yard.

Blah blah batterystats emergency blah xD

Sent from my DROID2 Global using Tapatalk
I'm having an issue with this technique. Was I supposed the boot into recovery before or after I sacrifice the chicken? lol.

I tend to reboot my phone once a week due to updates to kernals and the sort. Never had less than great battery life. Tried all the wiping stats things and saw no real differences

·
Editor
876 Posts
Voodoo I tell you!!!

Sent from my Gummy DROIDX using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
It has to be. Sacrificing a Virginian and pouring the blood over my phone did more to help battery calibration than deleting Battery Stats did; that is to say, nothing.

I could have misread part of the voodoo ritual though.

·
Android Beginner
20 Posts
It has to be. Sacrificing a Virginian and pouring the blood over my phone did more to help battery calibration than deleting Battery Stats did; that is to say, nothing.

I could have misread part of the voodoo ritual though.
LOL at "Sacrificing a Virginia"
Personally, using a goat works a little better.

·
Registered
58 Posts
LOL at "Sacrificing a Virginia"
Personally, using a goat works a little better.
Yeah, especially virgin goat.

Batteries have limited lifetime. If you misuse the battery, you will shorten it's life.
A battery must NOT be overcharged or kept in a low charge status for a long period of time.
When the phone says it needs to charge, do it and when it says it's charged, than for sure it's true.
A defective charger/phone can, and will, overcharge the battery this leading to the possibility of a battery to explode.
A simple google search can teach everyone how to maintain a battery in good condition.
For example http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Your-Cell-Phone-Battery-Last-Longer
Wish you all the best and long battery life.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.