Android OS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Android Freak
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a friend of mine who is just getting into Android ROMs asked me what phone to get. He's on Verizon and won't be switching, that's not an option for him. I suggested the S4, because I've seen how many different ROMs are still available for that device, and because I have an S3 and the similarities between the two will make it easier for me to help him.

I just want to confirm that the S4 even with the locked bootloader can still flash CM and other AOSP ROMs. I know there will be more issues because of the locked bootloader, but I just want to make sure I didn't just give him bad advice.

Thanks.

·
Android Freak
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you clarify what that's supposed to mean? Sorry, not an S4 owner, only just tuned in to S4 threads because of my friend. If someone could quickly sum up the situation I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
can you clarify what that's supposed to mean? Sorry, not an S4 owner, only just tuned in to S4 threads because of my friend. If someone could quickly sum up the situation I'd appreciate it.
Go to settings >more>about phone>build number. The last 3 letters are how the phone is identified on forums/websites. MDK was the first build of the phone, it came without an locked bootloader. It can use (pretty much) any ROM. All other builds have a locked one, so cannot. 2 build currently can run safestrap roms which use stock kernal. The latest 2 builds you can root but not ROM (outside of alpha experimentations)

·
The Dude
301 Posts
<-- so regrets not getting this phone when it first came out. Having to fuc k with SS + ROM slots constantly is a pain sometimes

·
Registered
1 Posts
<-- so regrets not getting this phone when it first came out. Having to fuc k with SS + ROM slots constantly is a pain sometimes
I know what you're saying.. I had to hop on swappa and get an mdk s4 I couldn't take it anymore

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts