Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Okay so after finally getting back into recovery and from advice on others I am trying once again to install nightlies, thing is it won't let me. Every nightly that I have tried comes up with the following error
assert failed: run_program("/tmp/check_kernel") == 0
E: Error in /sdcard/cm_shadow_full-7.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Edit: okay over here at xda link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1131130
he had to change the scrpit of the kernel_check but didn't say how, can anyone tell me how to do it?

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
dtpacula said:
Okay so after finally getting back into recovery and from advice on others I am trying once again to install nightlies, thing is it won't let me. Every nightly that I have tried comes up with the following error
E: Error in /sdcard/cm_shadow_full-7.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

Am I doing anything wrong?
i think that means you have the wrong kernel.
did you sbf back to stock froyo 2.3.340 per cm7 instruction?

·
I just hide here
2,237 Posts
well the only 2 problems u could be having with that error is either ur not really on the right android version or the file u downloaded is corrupted...i would recommend downloading it again....but this time i would go ahead and get nightly 8. also tell me exactly what u did in order. did u .sbf at all? did u wipe data after u sbf'ed? are u rooted if u did sbf? and what verison of clockwork are u doing this in?

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SyNiK4L said:
well the only 2 problems u could be having with that error is either ur not really on the right android version or the file u downloaded is corrupted...i would recommend downloading it again....but this time i would go ahead and get nightly 8. also tell me exactly what u did in order. did u .sbf at all? did u wipe data after u sbf'ed? are u rooted if u did sbf? and what verison of clockwork are u doing this in?
I have sbf'd so many times you don't know. I think because I am on the Milestone X their is a slight difference on the kernel, its the same one though because I installed the original cm4dx so its not that, the guy at xda just had to change a script in the kernel_check to make it work and it installed fine.

Here is the proccess
1. SBF'd
2. Installed cm4dx
3. downloaded nightly #7
4. flashed the new version of recovery
5. Try to install but come up with error.

·
I just hide here
2,237 Posts
well ya thats prob the problem....ur on the milestone X? but honestly u dont have to flash the regular version of cm4dx that came out in the beginning....heres what i did the other night

1. Flashed .340 sbf
2. Wiped data/factory reset from stock recovery.
3. Rooted it with z4root
4. Went into recovery using d2bootstrapper.
5. Then wiped data again and installed nightly 6...at the time

But i imagine 8 would work the same way...u dont have to have the first version installed to install the nightly

·
Android Nut
2,611 Posts
dtpacula said:
I have sbf'd so many times you don't know. I think because I am on the Milestone X their is a slight difference on the kernel, its the same one though because I installed the original cm4dx so its not that, the guy at xda just had to change a script in the kernel_check to make it work and it installed fine.

Here is the proccess
1. SBF'd
2. Installed cm4dx
3. downloaded nightly #7
4. flashed the new version of recovery
5. Try to install but come up with error.
milestone x has different kernel. so, there's your answer.

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SyNiK4L said:
well ya thats prob the problem....ur on the milestone X?
Milestone X yes, basically a generic Droid X, and I know what the problem is I just do not know how to change the script, I thought I had posted that: Noob move :\

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
razorloves said:
milestone x has different kernel. so, there's your answer.
its the same kernel as the droid x other wise It would have failed installing the regular cm4dx, it had to be on .32 kernel which all milestone x's are on.

·
I just hide here
2,237 Posts
ya i would imagine the kernels are the same but i updated my post above....try it exactly that way. and download the new nightly just to make sure u dont have a corrupted .zip

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SyNiK4L said:
ya i would imagine the kernels are the same but i updated my post above....try it exactly that way. and download the new nightly just to make sure u dont have a corrupted .zip
okay will check back after I download nightly 8

·
I just hide here
2,237 Posts
just skip the step where u install the orig cm4dx. and just make sure u wipe data and try not using the new recovery. try using d2bootstrapper and just wipe data and install and see what happens

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SyNiK4L said:
just skip the step where u install the orig cm4dx. and just make sure u wipe data and try not using the new recovery. try using d2bootstrapper and just wipe data and install and see what happens
okay after trying what you said I still get an error
E: Error in /sdcard/cm_shadow_full-8.zip
(status 7)
Installation aborted.

over at xda a guy posted this
The check_kernel script looks for:

"Linux localhost 2.6.32.9-g55626e1 #1 PREEMPT Sun Nov 7 23:24:32 CST 2010 armv7l GNU/Linux"

uname -a returns:
"Linux localhost 2.6.32.9-gace4441 #2 PREEMPT Mon Feb 7 18:23:06 CST 2011 armv7l GNU/Linux"

that is what is returning the error, the guy changed a script that allowed it to match his kernel and he was able to install the nightly without error, do you maybe know how to change the script? I messaged the guy on xda but he is offline, that is my solution, if I only new how to change the script.

Edit: I need the check_kernel script to match this: "Linux localhost 2.6.32.9-gace4441 #2 PREEMPT Mon Feb 7 18:23:06 CST 2011 armv7l GNU/Linux"

the one for the droid x is the first one and thats whats causing the problem

·
I just hide here
2,237 Posts
hmm interesting....didnt know that info at all...but i dont know how to change it...but ill see if i can find any info about it.

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SyNiK4L said:
hmm interesting....didnt know that info at all...but i dont know how to change it...but ill see if i can find any info about it.
thanks for the help

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
I think I figured it out, and found out where the check_kernel script is, will post back with results.

EDIT: so after editing the check_kernel script, the installation still aborts with no error this time, checking into it some more.

·
I just hide here
2,237 Posts
Can't find anything about it. Kinda confused the milestone x is the European version of the x or what exactly

Sent from mi dx

·
Android Apprentice
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SyNiK4L said:
Can't find anything about it. Kinda confused the milestone x is the European version of the x or what exactly

Sent from mi dx
Well from the research I have done the milestone X is basically a unbranded droid x, for reginoal carriers like ACS, Cellular South, etc. Its just like the Original Droid, on my network, alltel, it is known as the milestone. The Model number for the Milestone X is MB809 and the Droid x is MB810

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.