Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Average Android
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i just want some honest feedback on this. I have ran liberty since it began and love it but i really wouldnt mind trying cyanogen mod.
What benifits am i going to get on CM4DX over liberty. At the moment i assume that the CM4DX is not as polished as Liberty because of it still being in a beta.

Also i would like to know anyones experiance with the TBH .zip install of CM4DX that would seem the easiest way to do it but how effictive is it. I have to use some TBH stuff to get mine to the .596 build and it worked great but everything is different.

Also a thought i had was to maybe start a thread specific to what is now working on CM4DX it is so hard to tell because that thread to hundreds of pages long and with the kid and such hard to find time to skim through all the pages of thank you to find the meat.

Thanks

·
Average Android
75 Posts
As far as I can tell now all major flaws have been stomped out. Camera, YouTube playback and Netflix streaming are all functioning as well as GPS although some say they have problems with stand alone GPS.

As of now I haven't ran into any serious drawbacks in using the CM4DX beta over liberty or apex. Benefits of running CM4DX are its myriad of features. The ability to swap out themes with theme changer, being able to remove status bar icons by simply swiping them off, using the status bar as a brightness adjuster by swiping left or right, no need to pay for a donate version to get the latest nightly updates etc. etc.

If you're not all that tech savvy then I'd suggest waiting for an official release as right now most fixes require flashing or using root explorer to move/edit files. If you think you're up to it then give it a shot.

'I'd highly recommend donating to CVPCS for his efforts in bringing us CM7'

P. S. If you're a quadrant fanboy then you'll be pleased to know that without any performance tweaks or overclocking you can achieve scores of 2,300 - 2, 500.

·
Droid Nerd Extraordinaire
1,254 Posts
I agree with haunted. Its really comparing apples to oranges. CM is a completely new experience in roms on the x. So many features built in that take the need for clockwork out of the picture it's truly amazing. Personally no previous rom has run this fast and smooth on my phone. Being that you can simply sbf back to 340 if it isn't for you there really is no point asking for opinions. I would recommend just giving it a go and compare for yourself. I personally can't imagine going back to a regular rom again.

·
Average Android
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i agree completly, i have been on liberty pretty much since i got my X, it took me a couple of days to get it on the .596 build so i could run GB roms and i had to use stock moto GB drove me crazy. I guess i will give it a try, just hope the team blackhat .zip installer works well i hate having to SBF unless i have to

·
Android Apprentice
15 Posts
I want to try this ROM out as well. But like a dummy I went the stock unrooted way for GB and now I really don't feel like losing everything to make the switch. Does anyone know if they have apps out there that can help me back up things with out being rooted? if so I'm gonna make the switch cause stock is nothing but a headache!

·
Android Beginner
24 Posts
Only thing that would stop me from trying CM7 would be if it uses the ASOP camera instead of something widescreen.

·
Average Android
75 Posts
r3dlined said:
Only thing that would stop me from trying CM7 would be if it uses the ASOP camera instead of something widescreen.
Then CM7 isn't for you as there are 0 traces of blur including the camera and gallery, they're AOSP.

I also prefer the blur cam and gallery over AOSP but I'll live.

·
News Team
208 Posts
SoHaunted said:
Then CM7 isn't for you as there are 0 traces of blur including the camera and gallery, they're AOSP.

I also prefer the blur cam and gallery over AOSP but I'll live.
Yeah I've never really quite understood why the AOSP camera doesn't have a widescreen *option.* It's fine to not have it as the only choice, but given that most people store pictures in digital format and really the only monitors you can buy now are widescreen, it seems just stupid to not have a widescreen option. Since installing the camera fix, I've been using the MIUI Camera for CM7, which in my opinion takes slightly better pictures and autofocuses better. It has a widescreen mode, which I was initially super-excited about, but it doesn't seem to be working currently. I wonder if it might down the road though when a more permanent camera fix is implemented. Either way, not complaining about CM7 at all, just never understood that about the AOSP camera.

·
Nexus Member
154 Posts
Liberty is is a highly themed rom where CM is unique enough to really be its own product as it's built to be like running stock with many features you would want built on top. Each method provides it's pros/cons.

IMO making the choice with today's state of things I would choose CM7 first, stock GB second and Liberty third. That's of course if the camera stuff isn't too bothersome.

·
Average Android
75 Posts
ndwatkins said:
Yeah I've never really quite understood why the AOSP camera doesn't have a widescreen *option.* It's fine to not have it as the only choice, but given that most people store pictures in digital format and really the only monitors you can buy now are widescreen, it seems just stupid to not have a widescreen option. Since installing the camera fix, I've been using the MIUI Camera for CM7, which in my opinion takes slightly better pictures and autofocuses better. It has a widescreen mode, which I was initially super-excited about, but it doesn't seem to be working currently. I wonder if it might down the road though when a more permanent camera fix is implemented. Either way, not complaining about CM7 at all, just never understood that about the AOSP camera.
I totally agree with you. I'd have to say the latest AOSP camera takes slightly better pictures than the blur camera but the lack of a widescreen picture mode is inexcusable ESPECIALLY for the reasons you mentioned, 90% of monitors and tvs now sold are widescreen 16:9 or 16:10 so why the lack of widescreen picture support?

I'll have to give MIUI camera s shot, thanks for the link

Edit:

One thing that I noticed prior to getting the camera fix, I purchased Fast Burst Camera as a band-aid and when going through the picture resolutions there is an option for 1280x720 pictures but when I tried to use it all I would get was a black screen and it refused to work for me no matter what I tried I kept having to go back to 800x448, while that is a widescreen picture the quality is mediocre at best.

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
If you don't care about free or not try Camera 360. It has all the resolutions you will need and an awesome set of built in filters.

·
Average Android
65 Posts
The aosp camera takes pictures in widescreen. The viewfinder looks a little different than blur, but the pictures they take are exactly the same

·
Supporting Member
183 Posts
androidphan88 said:
Also i would like to know anyones experiance with the TBH .zip install of CM4DX that would seem the easiest way to do it but how effictive is it. I have to use some TBH stuff to get mine to the .596 build and it worked great but everything is different.

Thanks
I would urge you to consider going the sbf route. It may just be coincidence but it seems those that went the monster zip route are having more issues with the nightlies. It may just be my impression but others have commented on similar findings. You may end up saving yourself a small hassle upfront for a bigger hassle later.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Themer
282 Posts
Considering you pay for liberty "nightlies" but only get an update every 10 days or so and cm4dx has true nightlies for free, more features, no need to bootstrap, tons of theme support, and is super snappy I'd say CM4DX will be the rom to end roms on the DX.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Average Android
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did make the switch to CM7 and i do really enjoy it. I will say i like the default liberty theme better but cyanogen mod as some unique features for sure, some of them i think are kinda pointless. Like the swiping the notification away. If it was smother it might be cool but its choppy when u do it and u have to do it slowly or it doesnt work, so i just use the little red button

To be completly honest and i think after i use this some more i might do a more detailed review between the view, there are some things in liberty i really wish where in cm. Like the build.props editor. When you first boot you can choose to have the AOSP camera or blur camera so on so forth. That to me is amazing like i prefer the blur clock. stuff like that. But i will think after a week or so of use i will do a more detailed review of the two. on topics such as battery life things like that

·
Android Apprentice
24 Posts
I actually switched to CM7 from Liberty 0.8, and apart from the remaining non-functional camcorder, it is great. I love Liberty, but cm7 is definitely faster. I got a quadrant score of 2936, only overclocked to 1.2 ghz. Pretty amazing.

·
Average Android
432 Posts
bafish said:
I actually switched to CM7 from Liberty 0.8, and apart from the remaining non-functional camcorder, it is great. I love Liberty, but cm7 is definitely faster. I got a quadrant score of 2936, only overclocked to 1.2 ghz. Pretty amazing.
What are your overclock settings? And did you use an app for overclocking or is that built into CM (I haven't made the switch from Liberty yet)?

·
Average Android
75 Posts
Trav06 said:
What are your overclock settings? And did you use an app for overclocking or is that built into CM (I haven't made the switch from Liberty yet)?
There is a CPU min. Max. Frequency adjuster but it's like set cpu, you'll need to use an overclocking application like droid overclock.

·
Average Android
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So after about a week i think i am going to nandroid back to Liberty.
I do like cm7 alot but i am a heavy user and as of now, liberty has better battery life.
To me these two roms are pretty much equal. the few interesting things that cyanogen mod brings to the table i dont really use. I am a vanilla kinda person, i dont need all the glits and flare and themes and all this. I just want my phone to work well and get good battery life, and not be glitchy and buggy like motoblur is. Maybe when cm4dx becomes a RC and not just a beta i will try it out again.

I give great thanks to cvpcs for taking the enormous amounts of time to pwn the DX with 2init, and i am sure his work will bring some great new stuff to the DX but for now i am back to liberty

·
Average Android
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI do not try and apply a nandroid backup of a system on the .12 radio. I assume that is why it bricked my phone now i gota sbf and do all that fun stuff.
I even formated system data and cache before trying the nandroid.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts