Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Android Lover
405 Posts
I've seen many posts saying that battery life has increased with the new CM RC. There are even a few of you running other kernels that are getting 24+ hours with the stock battery.

A couple of others, including myself, are experiencing terrible battery life; I'm getting ~10 hours whereas I'd get 18+ running 1.2 with the same usage.

I'm hoping I could get a few of you to chime in on your battery experience running 1.3, with some additional information. The following information would be helpful but feel free to add anything you may think is worth while:

battery life: ~10 hours
kernel: Tiamat 1.0.3
clock min/max: 192/1036
undervolted: NO
governer: smartass
wifi sleep policy: when screen turns off
4g area: YES
4g on: NO

Thanks all!

Edit: After installing 1.4 and doing a bump-charge calibration, I'm getting great battery life. 18 hours and still had ~50%. Wasn't using the phone too much, but I was off of wifi for a majority off the time. The 18 hours also includes time that my phone and I were both sleeping; still that's very little stand-by drain.

battery life: ~18 hours
juice remaining: ~50%
kernel: stock cm kernel
clock min/max: 245/1024 (default)
governer: ondemand (default)
wifi sleep policy: never (but I turn off wifi when I'm not around a hotspot)

·
Android Lover
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mustang302LX said:
battery life: 17.5 hours (Was down to 54% but it was light to semi-moderate usage yesterday)
kernel: Tiamat 1.0.3 (switched to 1.0.4 during this time as well)
clock min/max: 268/1036
undervolted: No
governer: Interactive
wifi sleep policy: Never
4g area: No
4g on: No
Are you saying you were down to 54% after 17.5 hours? If so, I'm doing something wrong. That's amazing.

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
skinien said:
Are you saying you were down to 54% after 17.5 hours? If so, I'm doing something wrong. That's amazing.
Yes that's what I was at. However like I said I didn't do a ton of stuff yesterday with it. Lots of text messaging, a few short calls, twitter, FB and Google+ and some use of tapatalk and some downloads. No games played or movies or anything.

Edit: Stock battery also not my extended.

·
Android Beginner
33 Posts
skinien said:
I've seen many posts saying that battery life has increased with the new CM RC. There are even a few of you running other kernels that are getting 24+ hours with the stock battery.

A couple of others, including myself, are experiencing terrible battery life; I'm getting ~10 hours whereas I'd get 18+ running 1.2 with the same usage.

I'm hoping I could get a few of you to chime in on your battery experience running 1.3, with some additional information. The following information would be helpful but feel free to add anything you may think is worth while:

battery life: ~10 hours
kernel: Tiamat 1.0.3
wifi sleep policy: when screen turns off

Thanks all!
Same here. Easily 16 hours on rc1.2 with stock kernel and no overclock or undervolting. Would get minimum of 3 hrs. 15 min of display time, occasionally 4 hrs. Wifi on only at night when home and 3g only unless downloading files would toggle 4g. Running same apps and no auto syncing of anything...all manual. Trying tiamat kernel now to see if get a difference, too early to tell yet. Oh yeah, full wipe from 1.2 to 1.3 to see if it would make a difference. It hasn't.

battery life: 8-10 hours
kernel: stock
wifi sleep policy: screen off
4g area: yes
4g on: not yet

·
Android Lover
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mustang302LX said:
Yes that's what I was at. However like I said I didn't do a ton of stuff yesterday with it. Lots of text messaging, a few short calls, twitter, FB and Google+ and some use of tapatalk and some downloads. No games played or movies or anything.

Edit: Stock battery also not my extended.
Yep, that's comparable to my usage expect I listen to music for about an hour (not streaming).

·
Android Lover
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kcl71 said:
Same here. Easily 16 hours on rc1.2 with stock kernel and no overclock or undervolting. Would get minimum of 3 hrs. 15 min of display time, occasionally 4 hrs. Wifi on only at night when home and 3g only unless downloading files would toggle 4g. Running same apps and no auto syncing of anything...all manual. Trying tiamat kernel now to see if get a difference, too early to tell yet. Oh yeah, full wipe from 1.2 to 1.3 to see if it would make a difference. It hasn't.

battery life: 8-10 hours
kernel: stock
wifi sleep policy: screen off
4g area: yes
4g on: not yet
Interesting that we're both in 4g areas with 4g off and we're getting the poor battery life. Hopefully, we get more data to make a stronger connection.

On a side note - when I reboot, my wifi screen policy doesn't stick. It always reverts to "never" which will add some additional drain. You might want to make sure that yours sticks.

·
Android Beginner
33 Posts
Just checked wifi sleep policy and still set for when screen turns off. Have rebooted at least 3 times since setting it 2 days ago. Yeah it is making me crazy. Will let you know tomorrow how tiamat is working, just installed and reset battery stats this morning.

·
Android Lover
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kcl71 said:
Just checked wifi sleep policy and still set for when screen turns off. Have rebooted at least 3 times since setting it 2 days ago. Yeah it is making me crazy. Will let you know tomorrow how tiamat is working, just installed and reset battery stats this morning.
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
skinien said:
Yep, that's comparable to my usage expect I listen to music for about an hour (not streaming).
I usually stream iheartradio for about an hour or 2 but didn't yesterday.

It's weird because it seems day to day the battery life is never consistant. One day I'll get amazing battery life even while streaming stuff or playing games and the next day sitting off at idle it will drain rapidly.

·
Android Lover
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mustang302LX said:
I usually stream iheartradio for about an hour or 2 but didn't yesterday.

It's weird because it seems day to day the battery life is never consistant. One day I'll get amazing battery life even while streaming stuff or playing games and the next day sitting off at idle it will drain rapidly.
Did you calibrate the battery after installing 1.3?

·
Android Master Jedi
377 Posts
I've found that I get better battery life with wifi sleep policy set to never. Wifi uses less battery than mobile networks, and when your wifi sleeps, mobile data comes back on...

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk

·
Android Lover
405 Posts
Mustang302LX said:
Yes but not after changing to Tiamat kernel.
OK. I think that somewhere in that kernel's thread, the OP posted that a calibration is recommended. But I usually just calibrate after installing a ROM, not kernel.

edit: mentioned the wrong thread.

·
Android Apprentice
35 Posts
Any apps acting up for you? I get crappy battery life when facebook acts up. Check spare parts>battery history>switch the first drop down to partial wake usage, see if there are any apps acting up. Another indicator would be in about phone and then to battery usage if the phone is awake while screen is off most of the time there is some app keeping the phone awake.

·
Android Lover
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WBMc36 said:
Any apps acting up for you? I get crappy battery life when facebook acts up. Check spare parts>battery history>switch the first drop down to partial wake usage, see if there are any apps acting up. Another indicator would be in about phone and then to battery usage if the phone is awake while screen is off most of the time there is some app keeping the phone awake.
Thanks, I'll keep my eye on that!

·
Android Lover
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK all I think I found an issue with playing music. I've tested the CM Music app and WinAmp. Seems as though when playing music off of the sdcard, I get a drain of 5% every 10 minutes. I listen to music for about 2 hours/day - that's 60% of my battery gone right there. This may have to do with the music bug fix that was included in 1.3.

·
Android Beginner
33 Posts
Tiamet kernel definitely helped with battery life. I'm getting same life that i had with 1.2 and slayher's stock kernel. Don't know enough about it to make sense of what happened with my battery life between 1.2 and 1.3 but I'm happy and will run Tiamet for few days. Might try to flash back to stock kernel over weekend and see if there is any difference from first try.

View attachment 510

Attachments

·
Android Lover
194 Posts
I just downloaded tiamet and will now recalibrate my battery but it seems to me that this is a radio issue. I have MR 2 installed and am using battery monitor widget to view battery stats. This isn't some background process eating my batter it is the radios. When I have them on I run at about 500 ma's where when I am on wifi I run maybe 120. These values are refreshed every minute and seem consistant regardless of kernel. I've tried imoseyons lean, dream and the stock 1.3 kernels. Always similar output and similar battery life. I'm amazed by you people saying you get 10+ hours. I doubt I could make 3 on 3g. Of you get amazing battery life can you maybe post the link to the radio you use?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts