Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Average Android
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running Liquid 2.4, but have been doing a lot of resource monitoring on this, CM7 (33) and stock. It appears there isn't much difference in power consumption when actively using the phone. However, when the phone is locked there is a sizable difference in the mA draw. On CM7 based ROMs the average amperage draw runs anywhere from 36 - 46mA. One time it dropped to 24mA and other times I've seen in the mid 50s. On stock I have witnessed the amperage draw as low as 8mA. This makes more sense to me and also adds credibility to the general sense many of have that the battery is excessively drained even when not using the phone.

Yesterday I downloaded an app called OS Monitor. I was browsing through the DMesg and noticed things that didn't look right w.r.t. the phone going to sleep (actually not going to sleep!). I really know nothing about kernels and operating systems, but it looks like an issue and want to let the experts know about it. ;)

Anyway, I did some testing. I would hit my power button to turn the screen off, wait a few minutes and turn it back on and check the log. I found that sometimes tasks refuse to freeze, the sleep process quits and they are restarted. Other times everything seems to be going okay and then something else fails (core_pwrdm). Then it all starts over again. This goes on nonstop when your screen is off. Not only are we not getting the benefit of sleep, we're using resources to cycle the process over and over. Here is a sample of the routine. I should note that I noticed some errors from during the boot sequence that look like they might be in play here too, but I'm not a programmer so I can't say for sure. My hope is that if this appears to be relevant somebody who does know about these things will look into it. I love CM7 and Liquid but the battery life is torturous. :)

08/07/2011 09:00:27 [DEBUG] PM: Preparing system for mem slee
08/07/2011 09:00:27 [WARNING] Freezing user space processes ...
08/07/2011 09:00:27 [ERROR] Freezing of tasks aborted after 0.01 seconds (463 tasks refusing to freeze):
08/07/2011 09:00:27 [WARNING]
08/07/2011 09:00:27 [WARNING] Restarting tasks ... done.
08/07/2011 09:00:27 [INFORMATION] suspend: exit suspend, ret = -16 (2011-08-07 14:00:21.490722635 UTC)
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [INFORMATION] PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [DEBUG] PM: Preparing system for mem slee
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [WARNING] Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.03 seconds) done.
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [WARNING] Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.00 seconds) done.
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [DEBUG] PM: Entering mem sleep
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [WARNING] Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [DEBUG] vfp_pm_save_context: saving vfp state
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [INFORMATION] Powerdomain (core_pwrdm) didn't enter target state 1
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [ERROR] Could not enter target state in pm_suspend
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [INFORMATION] wakeup wake lock: wifi_wake
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [DEBUG] PM: Finishing wakeup.
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [WARNING] Restarting tasks ... done.
08/07/2011 09:00:28 [INFORMATION] suspend: exit suspend, ret = 0 (2011-08-07 14:00:22.971557602 UTC)
08/07/2011 09:00:29 [INFORMATION] PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
08/07/2011 09:00:29 [DEBUG] PM: Preparing system for mem slee

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
easy solution, use something like SetCPU (the dev posted a free version for registered XDA members) and setup screen off profiles.

Not sure why, but the processor doesnt seem to want to scale back on its own.

·
Average Android
406 Posts
@13th..

That only will lower the cpu, it won't put it to sleep.

This must be an animation/screen timeout issue.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
cobjones said:
@13th..

That only will lower the cpu, it won't put it to sleep.

This must be an animation/screen timeout issue.
Yes i know that but it starts scaling right if you lower it.... Not sure why but it does.

·
Average Android
406 Posts
"x13thangelx said:
Yes i know that but it starts scaling right if you lower it.... Not sure why but it does.
I will try it, I just hope it works better than droid overclock...

It would keep my phone at 300 no matter what..

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
cobjones said:
I will try it, I just hope it works better than droid overclock...

It would keep my phone at 300 no matter what..
It hasnt been updated to work with 2.3.5, thats why. SetCPU works still though.

·
Average Android
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I'm having no luck. I have tried a sleep profile to 300MHz in both SetCPU and Android Overclock. I also disabled the screen off animation just in case. I even tried it in Airplane mode in case one of the radios were affecting it. It's still happening and it seems there are a number of things that fail to suspend. I am convinced more than ever that this is where the CM7 battery life issue stems from. I'm thinking it may a disconnect because of the 2nd init or that something needs to be modified for the stock moto kernels in the D2/X.

I would run some debug routines on it if I knew how. Nevertheless, I'm confident there are people around here who know enough to figure out.

·
Android Fanatic
1,821 Posts
My suggestion is to email/pm your findings to one of the development that work on the 2nd unit roms and see what they say. R2doesinc is one I would try. He's a dev of omgb/omfgb.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Jester said:
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I'm having no luck. I have tried a sleep profile to 300MHz in both SetCPU and Android Overclock. I also disabled the screen off animation just in case. I even tried it in Airplane mode in case one of the radios were affecting it. It's still happening and it seems there are a number of things that fail to suspend. I am convinced more than ever that this is where the CM7 battery life issue stems from. I'm thinking it may a disconnect because of the 2nd init or that something needs to be modified for the stock moto kernels in the D2/X.

I would run some debug routines on it if I knew how. Nevertheless, I'm confident there are people around here who know enough to figure out.
Lower the max processor speed 1 slot and let me know if it starts it.... that fixed it on my DPro, not sure about my d2g because CpuSpy doesnt want to cooperate with mine....

Yes, that is where the battery issues are coming from but there isnt a known way to fix it with the stock kernel...

·
Average Android
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried lowering it a slot and then even tried at a max of 300MHz all the time. It still didn't work. I also tried changing the governor to userspace in the various scenarios. Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
I got a fix for it..... send me the framework-res.apk from it and i can send you a fixed one.

Theres a 2 thats supposed to be a 4 in power_profiles.xml that makes a huuuuuuge difference. Found it yesterday :)

·
Average Android
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome news! If this works, you'll be making thousands of 2nd init users very happy. I copied it over to computer, but don't see a way of attaching it here. I'll see if I can PM it to you. May need some instruction on putting back though. :)

·
Average Android
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't send it through it PM either. Is it something I can may be able to edit myself? Also, after I copied it to my sd card I plugged in my usb and it didn't connect to my computer. I tried multiple times, even using the USB Mode app that came with CM7 and Liquid, then rebooted. After reboot my phone's notification and ringtone selections are gone. Did I do something wrong by copying it to my sd card or do you suppose it may be related to the USB thing?

·
Android Apprentice
137 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Droid 2 Global and many of its ROMs are affected by this too.

I run HeXen on my D2G, and my phone rarely ever sleeps. Processes make lots of partial wake locks (android system even). If that power_profiles fix actually works, I think we need to examine other ROMs too.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global via Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Jester said:
Awesome news! If this works, you'll be making thousands of 2nd init users very happy. I copied it over to computer, but don't see a way of attaching it here. I'll see if I can PM it to you. May need some instruction on putting back though. :)
Drop it in a zip or upload to megaupload or something and just send me the link to it.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
ExodusC said:
I'm pretty sure the Droid 2 Global and many of its ROMs are affected by this too.

I run HeXen on my D2G, and my phone rarely ever sleeps. Processes make lots of partial wake locks (android system even). If that power_profiles fix actually works, I think we need to examine other ROMs too.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global via Tapatalk.
I'll look into it.... atleast Angel and Hexen. Not going to do anything with Hexen though because it gets great battery life and is done until we get a fully working CM (Fenuxx and I both agree'd that there was no point in having another rom with the same problems as all of the ones we have now). Plan on updating Angel one more time to 1.0 anyways, I'll fix it in it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts