Android OS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My objective is to be able to store and obviously watch HD movies on my Touchpad.

Having first installed CM7 alpha 2.1 I used Tailor in webOS (beta pre-ware) to resize the media partition (5Gb) and add an ext3 partition (20Gb).

Switching to CM7, I am able to mount this partition to my fake sd card. And I have used dd to "prove" that this partition is capable of storing a file > 4Gb.

But with the ext3 partition mounted, I just see the spinning circle when I connect my Touchpad via USB (I have tried windows 7 and Ubuntu) - I am prompted to tap the USB transfer mode, and then tap OK to the warning that is displayed, but it then just gets stuck.

Under webOS I am able to browse the media partition via USB but cannot transfer a file larger than the capacity of the media partition (5Gb).

So I'm stuck with ftp transfers but either wifi or ftp is flaky here and it always craps out before any movie has transferred successfully.

Can anyone help with getting the USB transfer working?

thanks
Paul

·
appul pls
411 Posts
Why would you create partitions? Should just leave the file system alone as it was, and then transfer the movies over. I copied 720p & 1080p movies over, and both of them worked fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you create the ext3 partition before or after the fat32 partition? You might have to change /etc/vold.conf.
I didn't understand the above until I looked at vold.fstab (is this what you meant, I don't have /etc/vold.conf?)

My vold.fstab has the following lines (other than those commented out right at the beginning):
Code:
<br />
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device<br />
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/ auto SDCARD=/dev/block/dm-6<br />
# for mounting usb storage<br />
dev_mount usbdisk /mnt/usbdisk auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host.0<br />
So how do can I check which partition is which, and how can I use that information?

thanks
Paul

·
Android Beginner
29 Posts
yes, that is the vold.conf that I am talking about. try to figure out which partition is your ext3 partition and which is the sdcard partition, and instead of using "auto" set the specific number. To find out which partition is which, just run "mount" in the terminal emulator on your touchpad to see which is mounted as the /mnt/sdcard/ or the other.

backup your vold.conf before you change anything, actually do full backup first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, that is the vold.conf that I am talking about. try to figure out which partition is your ext3 partition and which is the sdcard partition, and instead of using "auto" set the specific number. To find out which partition is which, just run "mount" in the terminal emulator on your touchpad to see which is mounted as the /mnt/sdcard/ or the other.

backup your vold.conf before you change anything, actually do full backup first.
Really? I cannot see any mention of partition number when I use mount. I also tried
Code:
<br />
fdisk -l<br />
but nothing was displayed.

·
Android Beginner
29 Posts
when you type mount, it should show you a list of mount points and devices, at the end of the device, the partition is usually at the end.

i.e.

/dev/block/mmcblk0p<xxx> /system/ .....

so the <xxx> is the partition number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
you probably should run as root type "su" before typing the mount command.
Thanks for the suggestions, mount shows
Code:
<br />
/dev/mapper/store-ext3fs on /mnt/sdcard/ext type ext3 (rw, relatime, errors=continue, barrier=0, data=writeback)<br />
and
Code:
<br />
/dev/block/vold/254:6 on /mnt/sdcard type vfat (rw, dirsync, nosuid, nodev, noexec, relatime, uid=1000, gid=1015, fmask=0602, allow_utime=0020, codepage=cp437, iocharset=iso8859-1, shortname=mixed, utf8, errors=remount-ro)<br />
So based on the partition number of the SD card, are we saying I should change

Code:
<br />
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/ auto SDCARD=/dev/block/dm-6<br />
to
Code:
<br />
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard/ 6 SDCARD=/dev/block/dm-6<br />
? i.e. change the first entry from auto to 6? Does this mean I will be able to see the touchpad's fake SD card when I connect by USB?

By the way, in case this is relevant: I do not have my ext3 partition mounted automatically yet, I am mounting it manually. I mention this for information and in case there is any confusion as to why it is not already identified in my current vold.fstab

·
Android Lover
1,260 Posts
You're better off just re-encoding the video, honestly. If you want to keep the resolution, just drop the bitrate. Additionally, most movies that size use ac3 or dts audio tracks, which can be problematic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
really...been using this for about 7 months and works fine for me,

http://www.ext2fsd.com/?page_id=2
Indeed, and I have a linux laptop, same problem. With the ext3 partition unmounted, USB transfer works fine. With it mounted USB transfer just hangs. I think knaries was onto something with the suggestion to use partition number instead of "auto" in vold.fstab, but I am totally stumped on finding out the partition number...Anyone help please?

thanks
Paul

·
Android Beginner
29 Posts
why don't you try to use this app to see if it works first. It was made for the nook, when we had issues mounting the sdcard or media partition. this allowed us to choose which to mount. try it out to see if it works. if not, you will have to try to figure out which partition your ext3 fs. if you are familiar with linux which you seem to be, try to just ls -l "/dev/mapper/ directory. store-ext3fs should be just a symlink, and see what the target of the symlink is. I am not too familiar what you used to create the partition and how it is partitioned.

here is the link to the app.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=952456

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I gave up on this in the end. Assured by clearly very clever jcsullins over on the cm touchpad IRC that the partition doesn't get a number and I would not be able to get my USB file transfer working. I also found the available media players (or maybe CM itself at the moment?) unable to cope with my 720P movies.

All is not lost though. I'm having more luck over on webOS using touchplayer and an overclocked kernel.

Thanks to those who tried to help with this!.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.