Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Ok guys here is the skinny on ICS for our Droid2. Development for our Droid2 has been artificially stopped. It is sad but seems to be true. I call this stoppage artificial for good reason... ICS should run on our phone, it will take lots of hard work and many hours of TODOs but nevertheless, I'm reading on github daily stories of success stories and I feel shame that we have none to share. I'm just as guilty I have nothing to offer of good, all my attempts to build the source have failed sadly my resources (laptop) are limited and as of now not capable of building ICS emulator or any other device.

I also assume the entire D2 community wants ICS like, I want O2.

So this lead me to my plea is anyone willing to donate workstation time?

do you have?

ability to build CM9?
desire to help D2 ICS development?

I just don't have the resources build the source... sorry.
EDIT: took some time but I can build now. So #cm9d2 is moving forward

as a community we can do this but the community part is big right now

ps we can do cpu time sharing and schedule builds for whenever is good for the host or work with whoever is willing to help in anyway
I may be pissing into the wind but I have faith in the community

Anyone?

EDIT: hijacked github.com/CM7-GB for CM9
BIG thanks to bikedude880 for his work with the droid2 global (and for letting me kang your repos)
thanks to hashcode for his work with the dorid3

Code:
<br />
#to get d2cm9<br />
repo init -u [URL=git://github.com/CM7-GB/android]git://github.com/CM7-GB/android[/URL] -b ics<br />
repo sync<br />
<br />
#setup environment and build<br />
. build/envsetup.sh<br />
lunch<br />
make otapackage<br />

·
Android Beginner
30 Posts
I have no coding ability, but have a decent computer. Not sure if that helps. Also have a D2 but plan on upgrading soon so I'm willing to take some risks with it. Let me know if I can help.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no coding ability, but have a decent computer. Not sure if that helps. Also have a D2 but plan on upgrading soon so I'm willing to take some risks with it. Let me know if I can help.
do you have a working knowledge of Linux?
...if not, I can point you in the right direction then when you get a linux install we can get started
right now we need to get the source to compile with our configs ...we are pre being able to make a alpha claim.

·
Android Beginner
22 Posts
I don't have any coding ability either, but I have a decent computer running Linux Mint. I'd be willing to try to help as well if you can point my in the right direction.

·
Android Lover
136 Posts
I have a MacBook Pro that i can load Linux on, and if I use an external drive I might be able to borrow my dads 12 core Mac Pro when hes not looking... I also have a bit of coding experience and Linux experience. Let me know if there is anything i can do.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using RootzWiki Forums

·
Android Apprentice
295 Posts
I have a decent machine. Would a live disc work for linux? No coding xp but I don't mind playing zombie slave!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Android Apprentice
295 Posts
Thanks JBird! Ok I'm out and about, but I'll give it a shot once I am home. Please anyone else that has the time, give it a try. I have a lot of things going on in my house that I may not get to it imediatly. This community rocks, let's get ics on our D2!

·
Android Lover
136 Posts
Cstryon said:
Thanks JBird! Ok I'm out and about, but I'll give it a shot once I am home. Please anyone else that has the time, give it a try. I have a lot of things going on in my house that I may not get to it imediatly. This community rocks, let's get ics on our D2!

Likewise, I have final exams and projects due this week and next. So I dunno how much time I will have immediately but will do my best...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a ubuntu 11.10 PC, and I'm willing for help after the final exam weeks.
But I only have a little linux skill, so I may need some help, too.

·
You can haz Developer Status
1,090 Posts
I may as well post... since it's nearly identical to the d2g builds, I could easily just build it alongside. I currently clock a cold build at 30min.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I may as well post... since it's nearly identical to the d2g builds, I could easily just build it alongside. I currently clock a cold build at 30min.
Me

·
Android Beginner
22 Posts
I was able to get to the repo init -u git://github.com/ShadowICS/android -b ics, but when I run that I am getting an error message. I sent an email to you last night Jbird, let me know if you got it. I cant post the error right now, but I will as soon as I can.

·
Average Android
289 Posts
I can also put linux on the i5 machine I just built, it's pretty fast and should work well. I'll be upgrading phones as soon as the galaxy nexus releases, but if i don't sell my D2G right away I can also use that as a test phone- this community has been great, I'll be more than happy to keep helping even when the D2G isn't my main phone.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was able to get to the repo init -u git://github.com/ShadowICS/android -b ics, but when I run that I am getting an error message. I sent an email to you last night Jbird, let me know if you got it. I cant post the error right now, but I will as soon as I can.
Did you see I responded to your email I think git or repo is out of date try updating ...I would guess its ~/bin/repo that needs some love

1 - 20 of 184 Posts