Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Android Addict
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my TB slipped from my hands this morning and in the process of trying to catch and save it, i ended up spiking it into my kitchen floor. Result? cracked touch screen and lcd screen in the lower left corner (screen protector and gel case were installed). Everything still works but i'm too picky to just keep my phone w/ a cracked screen. So I ordered the parts today and will be replacing the screens sometime next week. I'm not amateurish when it comes to these types of activities so I'm not really worried about the scope of the project. Just wondered if anyone on here has done it and if they had any tips or insight that I can use going into this. I'll be sure to document my steps with pictures and instructions and will post back my results once completed. Thanks and wish me luck! :)

·
The GMan
113 Posts
Good luck and post the results please. Pics would be awesome too if you have time.

·
Android Addict
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SoDev said:
Good luck and post the results please. Pics would be awesome too if you have time.
I sure will, plan on taking pictures of each step in dis-assembly to make sure i re-assemble correctly..hehe. My wife has already volunteered her photography skills in documenting the process. Just received confirmation that the parts shipped (I ordered them about 5 hours ago!). So I should be setting up and taking this project on early next week.

·
Android Addict
1,497 Posts
I heard that the touch screen is EXTREMELY fragile and heard that people had trouble with it. This was a couple weeks after the device launched so I am guessing we now have more documentation on the process and you should be fine. Good luck android buddy.

·
Android Addict
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unbelievably the parts arrived via US mail this morning! If everything appears to be in good shape once it's unpacked I'll be performing open heart surgery on my TB. I've already shot some before pics and have a camera set up to snap and catalog the process as I go along. Once completed I'll get the slideshow posted and will share my steps and success/failure. :)

·
Android Addict
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dirtyfingers said:
Good luck my friend;)
Thank you. Got home and unpacked my goodies, sorry to say that they speed me the wrong lcd screen, so I'll have to send it back on monday and wait patiently fire the right lcd to arrive.

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does all the work" Mark Twain

·
Android Developer
93 Posts
hotelmrrsn said:
So my TB slipped from my hands this morning and in the process of trying to catch and save it, i ended up spiking it into my kitchen floor. Result? cracked touch screen and lcd screen in the lower left corner (screen protector and gel case were installed). Everything still works but i'm too picky to just keep my phone w/ a cracked screen. So I ordered the parts today and will be replacing the screens sometime next week. I'm not amateurish when it comes to these types of activities so I'm not really worried about the scope of the project. Just wondered if anyone on here has done it and if they had any tips or insight that I can use going into this. I'll be sure to document my steps with pictures and instructions and will post back my results once completed. Thanks and wish me luck! :)
Woah... Same thing happened to me, but on Friday. (Kitchen = Hotel Bathroom though)... Will also be replacing the screen as well
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9372031/IMG_20110804_223907.jpg

·
Android Addict
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
davidjr621 said:
Woah... Same thing happened to me, but on Friday. (Kitchen = Hotel Bathroom though)... Will also be replacing the screen as well
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9372031/IMG_20110804_223907.jpg
Heh, yours is worse than mine! Did you order your parts already? Good luck, post back when your done and let me know how it goes.

"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does all the work" Mark Twain

·
Supporting Member
36 Posts
Be careful when putting out all together again lining up the screen can be a b##ch

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
You might want to do it in a slightly-steamy bathroom (but not so steamy that condensation settles on your components, electrical or adhesive). It's FAR too easy to get some dust or fuzz between the digitizer and LCD.

Also, make sure you have the proper adhesive for the digitizer to stick to your case or you'll have major problems (don't even think about reusing the existing adhesive, you will simply be causing yourself more problems than you'll be saving). I found that the 2mm 3M double-sided adhesive works well for this. Be sure you have an exacto knife because you'll likely need to slice it long-ways, which is difficult considering that it's only 2mm wide. I think I bought something like 10' of the adhesive on ebay for ~$10. Have a ton left over but it doesn't really make any sense to buy any less of it since it's not really any cheaper.

·
Android Addict
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jaxidian said:
You might want to do it in a slightly-steamy bathroom (but not so steamy that condensation settles on your components, electrical or adhesive). It's FAR too easy to get some dust or fuzz between the digitizer and LCD.

Also, make sure you have the proper adhesive for the digitizer to stick to your case or you'll have major problems (don't even think about reusing the existing adhesive, you will simply be causing yourself more problems than you'll be saving). I found that the 2mm 3M double-sided adhesive works well for this. Be sure you have an exacto knife because you'll likely need to slice it long-ways, which is difficult considering that it's only 2mm wide. I think I bought something like 10' of the adhesive on ebay for ~$10. Have a ton left over but it doesn't really make any sense to buy any less of it since it's not really any cheaper.
Thank you again for the advice! I did buy the adhesive strips and have a modeling exacto knife at the ready. I made a makeshift dust free work area using vapor barrier , a small wooden frame and placing the area under a vacum. I have powder free latex gloves to ensure no finger prints and was considering using the dusting agent that they sell for computer keyboards and components just prior to putting the digitizer and lcd together. They should be shipping the correct LCD out to me today and I'll hopefully have it in my hand by tomorrow evening.

·
teh Jax
2,677 Posts
hotelmrrsn said:
was considering using the dusting agent that they sell for computer keyboards and components just prior to putting the digitizer and lcd together.
If by this you mean aerosol air (canned air, or whatever you want to call it), that might be unwise. That will more-than-likely stir up dust/dirt rather than calming it down. These digitizers usually come dust-free with a sticky thing over it just like screen protectors come with, so unless you get dust on it, you should be clean. As for your existing phone/LCD, again, it's probably dust-free right now (where it matters) so as long as you don't get dust on it, where it matters, you should be good. That said, there is probably plenty of dust in other areas on it and the aerosol air would probably stir that up. Even if you are in a negative-pressured room, flying dust that lands on the LCD or digitizer will stay there and make this quite problematic for you.

·
Android Addict
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jaxidian said:
If by this you mean aerosol air (canned air, or whatever you want to call it), that might be unwise. That will more-than-likely stir up dust/dirt rather than calming it down. These digitizers usually come dust-free with a sticky thing over it just like screen protectors come with, so unless you get dust on it, you should be clean. As for your existing phone/LCD, again, it's probably dust-free right now (where it matters) so as long as you don't get dust on it, where it matters, you should be good. That said, there is probably plenty of dust in other areas on it and the aerosol air would probably stir that up. Even if you are in a negative-pressured room, flying dust that lands on the LCD or digitizer will stay there and make this quite problematic for you.
Great points, thank you. I'm replacing both my digitizer and LCD (both cracked on impact) so I assume that I'll be putting them together prior to disassembly of my device. And instead of taking the digitizer off followed by heating up the back of the lcd to remove it from it's case, i'll simply skip to step two here and heat up the back of the lcd and remove the entire assembly as both parts are being replaced. Again, thank you for the tips!

·
Android Apprentice
37 Posts
Eager to know how it turns out. My screen has a small crack in it, but I am a little weary of attempting to fix it. Hopefully your install goes well and it gives me the confidence.

·
Android Addict
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Success! I'm all back together and all seems good. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts