Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to beat a dead horse but I was curious about the people that are switching over from Asgard (or other GB rom) to CM7. I am reading a lot of praise for it including some devs.

Apart from GPS and the Mute issue, that seems to be the source of some fun/agony over on XDA, how does it run as a daily driver?

If this topic is too painful then just let it get erased or buried, just curious what the overall consensus is.

·
Hazardous
229 Posts
I would like to know as well. Seems to be an awful lot of hype for cm7. Does not seem worth the hassel of the install procedure. I think I'll stick to ASGARD..

·
Android Apprentice
32 Posts

·
Average Android
54 Posts
I'm very surprised no CM7 user have commented yet. Ive only been running CM7 (EDT's Redux) for a few weeks now and I must say I don't think I am ever leaving EVER. I keep hearing this "The install seems way to hard to be worth it" type of comments, but I am confused by this. The Install is exactly the same way, you flash with ClockworkMOD just like any other rom, and the flash is twice as fast. The only caveat is you MUST be on a Eclair or Froyo ROM (BIG deal, you most likely already are), and the normal Froyo Bootloader (another BIG freggin deal, it takes 2 seconds to flash a Bootloader). Updating your CM7 rom is way easier then Samsung based rom's, theres no wiping involved, and the flash time is cut in half. The ROM (Redux anyway) is a BILLION times faster than any Samsung based ROM including ASGARD or any other GB or Froyo ROM you can find for that matter. And if your thinking to yourself "How is that possible?", trust me its possible. No one in their right mind cant say they didn't notice how instantaneously responsive the latest CM7 code has gotten on our Vibrant. Its the ONLY code base currently showing us just how superior our hardware really is, AND just how superior CM7 code really is.

As far as I am concerned, THE ONLY thing you need to ask yourself is IF you can theme it to your liking, or handle the simple look of it as-is. Daily driver? Are you kidding me? I can't even believe this is still being asked. Yes it has been worthy of a daily driver for quite a while now, of course this is my opinion. Below are the install procedures. Please show me where it is MUCH more difficult to install, as I keep hearing people say it is??????

First time flashing CM 7 to your Vibrant (or coming from another ROM)?

Clockwork Mod method:
Make sure you're running a Eclair/Froyo Firmware (2.1 or 2.2) and Eclair/Froyo Bootloaders!
Root your device and install ClockworkMod Recovery.
Do a Nandroid backup!
WIPE (wipe data/factory reset + wipe cache partition)
Install the ROM from internal sdcard using ClockworkMod Recovery
Optionally install the Google Addon (a.k.a gapps.zip)
DONE!

Upgrading from earlier CM7 builds?

Clockwork Mod method:
Download and push the ROM zip file to the sdcard.
Reboot into recovery.
Do a Nandroid Backup!
Install the ROM zip from sdcard (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)
DONE!

HOW CAN ANY OF THIS BE CONSIDERED MORE DIFFICULT?

Peace...

SkOrPn

·
Themer
159 Posts
My problem with cm7 is I cant keep a battery over 5 hours with it no matter what I do the androidsystem will never sleep. I have tried 20 different nightlies and 3 of romans builds and the problem is persistent. I have even done complete wipes and reformats but still it goes on. I know alot of others experience this too but no one knows why. So my solution is to not use it.

·
Android Apprentice
23 Posts
I'm running Trigger Redux w/Launcher Pro. So far it's the best rom I've had on my phone. I'm getting up to 18 hours battery with moderte use. I swore I'd never leave Team Whiskey (been using thier stuff since the first Bionix), but, couldn't resist the call of Gingerbread, so I tried out Asgard and Honey versions. Then Birgertime laid this tasty dish on the table and I haven't been able to stop feeding! Nice and smooth, completely stable, and extremely responsive. No regrets thus far. And I thoroughly endose SkOrPn's comments. Nicely said!

renardk764

·
Average Android
54 Posts
Kwes1020 said:
My problem with cm7 is I cant keep a battery over 5 hours with it no matter what I do the androidsystem will never sleep. I have tried 20 different nightlies and 3 of romans builds and the problem is persistent. I have even done complete wipes and reformats but still it goes on. I know alot of others experience this too but no one knows why. So my solution is to not use it.
Yeah CM7 code has lost much of our battery. But I got all mine back by understanding the problem, and doing what was necessary to recoup most of it back. I find that I have to fully charge to 100%, restart, phone will be back to 94%, fully charge to 100%, restart, phone will be back to 94 or 95%, and the process continues for like 45 minutes or so until the phone no longer needs to recharge. Something like 30% is lost when you re calibrate right away, so you have to REALLY recharge to 100% and not take the phones word for it, until the battery stops accepting a charge on its own (that"s what the batteries internal chip is for, use it). I now have just as much battery as I did on Froyo I believe.... or more

·
Themer
159 Posts
"SkOrPn said:
Yeah CM7 code has lost much of our battery. But I got all mine back by understanding the problem, and doing what was necessary to recoup most of it back. I find that I have to fully charge to 100%, restart, phone will be back to 94%, fully charge to 100%, restart, phone will be back to 94 or 95%, and the process continues for like 45 minutes or so until the phone no longer needs to recharge. Something like 30% is lost when you re calibrate right away, so you have to REALLY recharge to 100% and not take the phones word for it, until the battery stops accepting a charge on its own (that"s what the batteries internal chip is for, use it). I now have just as much battery as I did on Froyo I believe.... or more
Yeah I have done the same as you described. Now I have several batteries that I charge on a charger instead of in the phone. Then switch them when one dies. Doing so eliminates this issue. But my problem is the android system never sleeps I have tried countless countermeasures, but to no evail. Lots of people have this problem but most do not, so its not adressed. Just like I can overclock and run at 1.7ghz stable but many cant. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Average Android
54 Posts
Kwes1020 said:
Yeah I have done the same as you described. Now I have several batteries that I charge on a charger instead of in the phone. Then switch them when one dies. Doing so eliminates this issue. But my problem is the android system never sleeps I have tried countless countermeasures, but to no evail. Lots of people have this problem but most do not, so its not adressed. Just like I can overclock and run at 1.7ghz stable but many cant. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Yeah very good point. Seemingly the same phones act and work differently for odd reasons. Im not sure how I would check to see if my phone sleeps or not, but I do know that the new Bali-CM kernel has the SetCPU screen off 100/400 profile support now. Not sure if that will help or not though.

·
Themer
159 Posts
"SkOrPn said:
Yeah very good point. Seemingly the same phones act and work differently for odd reasons. Im not sure how I would check to see if my phone sleeps or not, but I do know that the new Bali-CM kernel has the SetCPU screen off 100/400 profile support now. Not sure if that will help or not though.
I checked it by going to battery status and saw that android system was 97% of the use which normally display is the major user. I also looked at the details of android system which was the same as my battery use overall times and it says it slept 0. All this is located in the settings under about phone/battery use. I used different kernels as well and the outcome was the same with them all, so it was a rom sided issue.

·
Average Android
54 Posts
Kwes1020 said:
I checked it by going to battery status and saw that android system was 97% of the use which normally display is the major user. I also looked at the details of android system which was the same as my battery use overall times and it says it slept 0. All this is located in the settings under about phone/battery use. I used different kernels as well and the outcome was the same with them all, so it was a rom sided issue.
If it was a problem with CM7 code wouldn't mine show a higher number also? Mine says 5% under Android System. Mine shows its sleeping for X amount of time also. Weird crap man...

·
Themer
159 Posts
"SkOrPn said:
If it was a problem with CM7 code wouldn't mine show a higher number also? Mine says 5% under Android System. Mine shows its sleeping for X amount of time also. Weird crap man...
Yeah idk what the deal was couldnt solve it. If you thumb through the clusterfck thread on xda others have had it too, but never a solution. So ill just stick to themeing kb5 for now lol.

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
SkOrPn said:
Do you do this everytime you charge or just once after you install CM7?

·
Average Android
54 Posts
Fr0stbyteX said:
Do you do this everytime you charge or just once after you install CM7?
On CM7, I do it just once, then re-calibrate using Battery Calibration. On Froyo I dont seem to need to do this at all, much, lol... But I am wondering now if I should do this again after I upgrade to Redux 15? I would think not, but different builds could affect battery life differently and then cause it to be inaccurate again. So, once I upgrade to B15, Im going to do it again...

·
Android Apprentice
53 Posts
I absolutely love cm7, it's so freaking responsive that I just can't help but love it. Battery was a little issue, I still don't get as good battery life as I did. On froyo. But it seems to get better with time. 16hours on moderate use. Hoping to get a little more as time goes on

Edit

Also wanted to say I'm running Bali 1.0 kernel

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Kwes1020 said:
I had the exact same problem on Trigger redux, and i think there is a simple solution to that, try changing kernel, i switched to glitch - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1041532
and i have gotten rid of phone always awake problem and android system using highest amount of battery. If you want i will post a screenshot showing that.
I found this by chance, I was on CM& and my battery was bleeding and then i switched to MIUI revamped, which had this glitch kernel and had excellent battery life so tried using glitch with CM7 and even on CM7 had excellent battery life.
dont forget to flash "Ultimate Kernel Cleaning Script" by lippol94 first (http://www.multiupload.com/XFH1GCK4MB) and then flash glitch.

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
Trigger redux + bali kernel has finally made cm7 worthwhile for my use case. I don't need gps but the mute/unmute bug is squashed and battery life is up to par, and it's stable. Basically my phone needs to be a phone and a reliable alarm clock, and everything else is just gravy. Lots and lots of delicious gravy.

All errors courtesy of swype.

·
Tahn...Tahn..Tahn..Ni..Na..Na..Na..Na..
2,224 Posts
On cm7 , you need to go into settings/applications/dev./ and UN-tick ''stop app via longpress''.Next UN-toggle GPS in status bar.Reboot, then download CpuSpy from the market it's free.Your vib should be sleeping ,if not reboot and check cpuspy(remember time on Sleep mode)turn screen off for at least 10 seconds,turn screen on and check the app.

·
Android Apprentice
53 Posts
tampavib said:
On cm7 , you need to go into settings/applications/dev./ and UN-tick ''stop app via longpress''.Next UN-toggle GPS in status bar.Reboot, then download CpuSpy from the market it's free.Your vib should be sleeping ,if not reboot and check cpuspy(remember time on Sleep mode)turn screen off for at least 10 seconds,turn screen on and check the app.
Was just wondering what ''stop app via longpress'' even means?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.