Android OS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Android Master
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the source is available for our kernel, and I know we can run kexec .. is it just a matter of driver modules preventing us from a custom kernel using the 2.6.32.9 source?

If so, how can we as a whole help solve the problem and even work a newer kernel in? Not clear on the mechanics of how it all works with 2nd init, so an explanation would be great.

·
Android Master
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Android Apprentice
47 Posts
INt_Rnd_Pooka said:
I should have been more specific in that I don't know how kexec and 2nd init will play together. Sorry
Yea I should have been more specific in saying that I didn't know wtf you were talking about haha

·
Android Master
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol!!

·
Android Master
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that radio 13 is out there, maybe someone can find a way to get that working with kexec and a custom kernel

·
Android Apprentice
43 Posts
The radio has very little to do with that. Its mostly because the Droid X has a bootloader thatvis locked and encrypted. We have a better chance of Google helping us out than the 13P radio tbh.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Android Master
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"MoodMuzik said:
all your questions should probably be directed toward twitter.com/aliasxerog if you want answers
Yeah, I just hate to continually bug one person over it when there's thousands here that may also have insight.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
I do believe multiple people have tried to utilize kexec to load a custom kernel since the milestone. I believe it has something to do with the radio not functioning. Correct me if I'm wong but I think efforts to utilize kexec have been abandoned due to no way around the radio issue.. aliasxerog Has a section at droidforums I think its called "project bootloader freedom" probably allot of info there.

·
Android Master
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Alemonator said:
Basically its a module
The way I took it was yes, it's a module that contains a separate kernel inside. Not unlike second init in that once it is called it takes over for the original kernel. That could be way off, though. It's been a while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts