Android OS Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I can't seem to get into recovery from a cold boot. I hold down the volume buttons as a power on, and it goes to the bootloader. I use the volume keys to select Recovery, and then it goes to the Google logo (with unlock icon on bottom) and hangs. I have to then hold all the buttons for about 10 seconds for it to turn off so I can boot normally.

I can get into recovery via choosing Reboot into Recovery from either Goo or ROM Manager, but if I'm going to be messing with ROMs, I need to know I can get into Recovery to do a restore if the ROM won't boot. I've tried ClockworkMod 6.0.0.6 (touch and normal) and TWRP 2.2.1 and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can't seem to get into recovery from a cold boot. I hold down the volume buttons as a power on, and it goes to the bootloader. I use the volume keys to select Recovery, and then it goes to the Google logo (with unlock icon on bottom) and hangs. I have to then hold all the buttons for about 10 seconds for it to turn off so I can boot normally.

I can get into recovery via choosing Reboot into Recovery from either Goo or ROM Manager, but if I'm going to be messing with ROMs, I need to know I can get into Recovery to do a restore if the ROM won't boot. I've tried ClockworkMod 6.0.0.6 (touch and normal) and TWRP 2.2.1 and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Any suggestions?
I also have problems booting directly, and do not see the "r[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]ecovery-from-boot.p" file to rename it. The one saving grace is that as long as my Nexus is plugged into a computer it will let me boot to recovery from the bootloader even if I can't get my tablet to boot into android.[/background]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also have problems booting directly, and do not see the "r[background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]ecovery-from-boot.p" file to rename it. The one saving grace is that as long as my Nexus is plugged into a computer it will let me boot to recovery from the bootloader even if I can't get my tablet to boot into android.[/background]
Same problem for me as I had posted earlier. Doesn't matter what recovery I use the result is the same. The stock recovery file doesn't not exist in /system and I can't get into recovery from cold boot.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Same problem for me as I had posted earlier. Doesn't matter what recovery I use the result is the same. The stock recovery file doesn't not exist in /system and I can't get into recovery from cold boot.
Same here, I resorted to the app Quick Boot for booting into recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 7

·
Not sure if...
366 Posts
I followed these steps and it worked for me, thanks!

Just passing this on in case anyone else gets stuck - I'm using Linux, so I had to figure out to type sudo before all the commands (otherwise you get a permissions error). Especially important when starting up ADB, as it needs to run as root. If ADB is already running as another user just do this:

sudo adb kill-server
sudo adb start-server

·
Aspiring Android
324 Posts
For others who find this thread and have the same problem, "mount system" means go to "mounts and storage" in CWM Recovery and select "mount system" cuz for some reason "adb remount" wasn't working for me on my computer. Then you can find and rename the recovery-from-boot.p file. Then, for me, I rebooted to CWM Recovery again (CWMR wasn't seeing the sdcard properly... idk) and I could push the SuperSU.zip and find and flash it from on the device.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For others who find this thread and have the same problem, "mount system" means go to "mounts and storage" in CWM Recovery and select "mount system" cuz for some reason "adb remount" wasn't working for me on my computer. Then you can find and rename the recovery-from-boot.p file. Then, for me, I rebooted to CWM Recovery again (CWMR wasn't seeing the sdcard properly... idk) and I could push the SuperSU.zip and find and flash it from on the device.
Thanks for the advise! Unfortunately I already tried mounting system in recovery via the CWM. It appears to work but the system directory is empty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After flashing the recovery, how can I reboot straight into recovery? I tried 'adb reboot recovery' but I get a device not found error. Killing and restarting the server didn't work. Any tips? Thank you

Edit:
Wow. So for anyone else with this problem. While in the bootloader use the volume keys to change the option to reboot into recovery and then click the power button.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After flashing the recovery, how can I reboot straight into recovery? I tried 'adb reboot recovery' but I get a device not found error. Killing and restarting the server didn't work. Any tips? Thank you

Edit:
Wow. So for anyone else with this problem. While in the bootloader use the volume keys to change the option to reboot into recovery and then click the power button.
i do that and it gets stuck on google screen..i think that is what everyone is saying.. manually boot to recovery gets stuck..at least for me..but like another post said when plugged into my computer i can get into fastboot..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem and have developed a new one. I am stuck in a CWM bootloop. When I install my backups or any rom on my sd it is sucessful but then it goes to google screen and then right back to CWM. Tried getting back to bootloader and to no avail power and vol down plus up gets me right back to CWM. Anybody have a suggestion?

·
Registered
47 Posts
i do that and it gets stuck on google screen..i think that is what everyone is saying.. manually boot to recovery gets stuck..at least for me..but like another post said when plugged into my computer i can get into fastboot..
I think this will help you. Taken from AndroidCentral:

"Once you are at the bootloader screen, you can't move on to recovery unless there's a connection on the USB port. Plugging it into the wall won't work, but the computer you use doesn't have to have the sdk or Fastboot set up on it, it just needs to be turned on."

Reactions: exzacklyright

·
Registered
41 Posts
adb shell didn't work for me either. adb loses the device, even after killing and restarting the adb server. i can always fastboot flash it again if i absolutely need recovery again at this point, but it would be nice to get my cwm permanent.
Hey guys this was all unnecessary for me. Just go to the Clockwork site and grab the latest version 6.0.1.0 for Grouper (the OP links to some 5.8.6.4 version or something), and after entering Recovery and selecting the reboot option, it will ask if you want to permanently disable the Auto-Recovery restore.

EDIT link: http://clockworkmod.com/rommanager

21 - 32 of 32 Posts