Android OS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently rocking the DX. You guys think I should use my upgrade on the D3, or should I wait on something else. The slide out keyboard is something I really want to have.

·
Average Android
151 Posts
I am in the same situation as raz. Pizzle just a tip if you can afford it i actualy have a line on my account that is only a line that is exactly a year from my primary line, so i can get a new phone every year ;)

·
Registered
982 Posts
ras0787 said:
I am currently rocking the DX. You guys think I should use my upgrade on the D3, or should I wait on something else. The slide out keyboard is something I really want to have.
i'd wait for the dx3 or d4

·
Themer
282 Posts
Why not get it then just resell it on eBay later if you don't want it? I just burned my early upgrade on a Droid 3 and I'm happy about the decision. I'll have it Wednesday.

@ericerk: That's a whole year away at least, why wait if he can upgrade now?

·
Air Force Android
326 Posts
I'd say so, especially if you're wanting a physical keyboard again. I've only had hands on with it foe a couple minutes, but I was VERY impressed. Much more so than the DX2, but that's not really saying much.

·
Registered
982 Posts
AndroidSims said:
Why not get it then just resell it on eBay later if you don't want it? I just burned my early upgrade on a Droid 3 and I'm happy about the decision. I'll have it Wednesday.

@ericerk: That's a whole year away at least, why wait if he can upgrade now?
cuz he has a droidx why upgrade now? its a menial upgrade, next years should be EPIC

·
Themer
282 Posts
ericerk said:
cuz he has a droidx why upgrade now? its a menial upgrade, next years should be EPIC
Its a pretty big upgrade. 1080p recording, front facing camera, superior dual core processor, 5 row hardware keyboard. Next year it should still be worth $250 or so on eBay. Sell it and pay the difference on a new phone. It's like getting it for contract pricing.

EDIT: Also has DDR2 RAM.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
pizzlewizzle said:
I bought a DX the day it came out...how are you already up for an upgrade??unless you bought a used one...I still have a lil less than a year left...i'd hold out for the bionic but that's just me
Primary accounts get (or... used to get, but you get to do it one last time if you bought your phone before they changed it) an annual upgrade. You can upgrade with discounted pricing but just not with the extra $50 or whatever off.

·
Average Android
95 Posts
I'm perfectly fine right now with my DX(especially with CM7 and hopefully some more development in the future!), but I might try to jack my moms upgrade for the bionic or hold out for the next "big thing" when my contract is up.

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Different spin on the question - bought a DInc2 from a VZW store ten days ago to latch in the unlimited data plan. Droid3 will be in-store just in time for me to trade in the DInc2 if I want to ($35 fee plus price difference of $50?). I see the spec differences (qHD, dual-core, phy kbd ; front camera not as good) - but for those who have touched a D3 how impressive is it? Should I take a chance on a change?

Side factors:
- I wanted LTE but I don't want a 4.3" display in my pocket and don't want to have to charge twice a day. Will think about an upgrade late this year / early next.
- I don't care that much about the physical keyboard, but for 0.02" additional thickness I'll take it.
- I know some don't like Sense but I kinda do.
- I have a tablet to play with rooting, alt ROMs, etc so I don't HAVE to do that to my everyday phone ;-). (Nook Color woo!)
- DInc2 already has root, recovery, CM7, etc in public - I haven't applied until I decide whether I'm keeping it.

·
Android Apprentice
37 Posts
AndroidSims said:
Its a pretty big upgrade. 1080p recording, front facing camera, superior dual core processor, 5 row hardware keyboard. Next year it should still be worth $250 or so on eBay. Sell it and pay the difference on a new phone. It's like getting it for contract pricing.

EDIT: Also has DDR2 RAM.

I have the insurance on my phone, covers theft. When the time comes to upgrade I'll make a claim, sell the phone with a Bad esn, buy an upgrade then sell my replacement. It'll practically be free... if a little unethical. :)

Basically free, til you get arrested and go to jail over a phone!

Tapped from my Bolt.

·
Themer
282 Posts
Kickasz23 said:
unethical??? lol its called insurance fraud jackass!
There is a $100 deductible and it's $5.18 a month. Basically just getting my money back in one lump sum. Also, carriers charge us an arm and a leg off contract for a new device. So I don't really give a damn.

aczaplicki said:
Basically free, til you get arrested and go to jail over a phone!

Tapped from my Bolt.
Done talking about this. Stay on topic please. :)

·
Themer
282 Posts
adamooo said:
Different spin on the question - bought a DInc2 from a VZW store ten days ago to latch in the unlimited data plan. Droid3 will be in-store just in time for me to trade in the DInc2 if I want to ($35 fee plus price difference of $50?). I see the spec differences (qHD, dual-core, phy kbd ; front camera not as good) - but for those who have touched a D3 how impressive is it? Should I take a chance on a change?

Side factors:
- I wanted LTE but I don't want a 4.3" display in my pocket and don't want to have to charge twice a day. Will think about an upgrade late this year / early next.
- I don't care that much about the physical keyboard, but for 0.02" additional thickness I'll take it.
- I know some don't like Sense but I kinda do.
- I have a tablet to play with rooting, alt ROMs, etc so I don't HAVE to do that to my everyday phone ;-). (Nook Color woo!)
- DInc2 already has root, recovery, CM7, etc in public - I haven't applied until I decide whether I'm keeping it.
I'm confident that the Droid 3 will have a good following. All in all for $199, it's a very solid device.I'll let you know how I feel about it tomorrow when I have it in my hands.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts