Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not a dev but i just want to bring this up here as im really interested in that project. If you havent been following xda-developers theres a thread about "PalmDroid" which is basically trying to port dalvik so we can use android apps within the WebOS sytem.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1230723

Im hoping some devs from here are also intrested and maybe can team up with roto-rooter and make this thing come to life.

·
Android Beginner
17 Posts
I agree, this would be great. I think alot of people would prefer this over a full android port, especially considering we won't be getting a tablet OS until ICS. Maybe let the cm7 team work their magic on porting android and the touchdroid guys can help with this?

·
Android Lover
556 Posts
this would be great.
however, i am willing to do anything i can to get WebOS off of this thing. the more i use it, the slower it gets. i dont care if it is stock Gingerbread, CM7, HC, ICS....whatever....just give me android.
but if getting dalvik to work would be great in of its self.

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
Turdbogls said:
this would be great.
however, i am willing to do anything i can to get WebOS off of this thing. the more i use it, the slower it gets. i dont care if it is stock Gingerbread, CM7, HC, ICS....whatever....just give me android.
but if getting dalvik to work would be great in of its self.
I agree. I don't see why everyone is so in love with this OS. Too slow in my opinion.

·
Android Beginner
6 Posts
1fastrsx said:
I agree. I don't see why everyone is so in love with this OS. Too slow in my opinion.
I love the "cards" system they have. The OS does need some tweaks and optimization but nothing I've encountered is as awesome as the cards.

·
Average Android
62 Posts
I really don't see the slowness issue that people are complaining about..Overclocked to 1.7ghz and things react as I would expect them to.

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
thewhiteboy said:
I really don't see the slowness issue that people are complaining about..Overclocked to 1.7ghz and things react as I would expect them to.
Then pickup an iPad2 and compare. I overclocked to 1.7 and it's now bearable but I shouldn't have to ramp the CPU up that high to get a satisfactory performing OS.

·
Average Android
62 Posts
I'm pretty sure most OS's are slower compared to the ipad2.....

·
Android Apprentice
74 Posts
After Overclocking and following some guides it is better. I it made me feel like I was going back to my iPhone 3g. The cards are nice and it is simple to use. The but compared to android and ios I feel it lacks a lot speed wise.

·
tehk G33k
154 Posts
devize said:
I agree, this would be great. I think alot of people would prefer this over a full android port, especially considering we won't be getting a tablet OS until ICS. Maybe let the cm7 team work their magic on porting android and the touchdroid guys can help with this?
CM7 is designed for tablets as well, it is ICS before ICS was even thought of, and it's compatible with more devices than what ICS will be at launch. It will still require the CM7 team or a Team of some sort to make ICS compatible with the touchpad. So far from what i've read "all new devices" will work with ICS. but haven't seen anything on making ICS compatible with previous hardware, think it will be up to their parent companies make the ICS builds.

Besides all that, the WebOS in my experience so far is so incredibly slow, even comes to a halt at times even after all of the performance tweeks... I've been using it very sparingly after the "newness" wore off. I got it to be a book reader if nothing else... and that is all it is until Android is on it.

·
Developer
57 Posts
neowiz73 said:
CM7 is designed for tablets as well, it is ICS before ICS was even thought of, and it's compatible with more devices than what ICS will be at launch. It will still require the CM7 team or a Team of some sort to make ICS compatible with the touchpad. So far from what i've read "all new devices" will work with ICS. but haven't seen anything on making ICS compatible with previous hardware, think it will be up to their parent companies make the ICS builds.

Besides all that, the WebOS in my experience so far is so incredibly slow, even comes to a halt at times even after all of the performance tweeks... I've been using it very sparingly after the "newness" wore off. I got it to be a book reader if nothing else... and that is all it is until Android is on it.
really???? I've had gret expirience on my touchpad with webOS...granted I will agree it needs a bit more refinement, but definitely a great OS in my opinion. I am cosidering doing some webOS deving because I like it so much. I wonder though, if it may be possible to do a sort of chroot thing like with ubuntu to run android apps????? create a kinda emulator for the android windows system so the apps can run in a card like the xserver emulator on webOS. Then the apps can looks to the chroot for their needs =3 just an idea and idk if it will work or not though. Anyone got any info on alien dalvik and how it works???

·
Android Apprentice
10 Posts
the android os is the most stable os, thus being the one we love to play around with. We should give the webOS a modded Rom to see how it handles. Good idea with an android emulator running on a card for simply apps. But is so much dedication to a dead os worth it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
ECOTOX said:
really???? I've had gret expirience on my touchpad with webOS...granted I will agree it needs a bit more refinement, but definitely a great OS in my opinion. I am cosidering doing some webOS deving because I like it so much. I wonder though, if it may be possible to do a sort of chroot thing like with ubuntu to run android apps????? create a kinda emulator for the android windows system so the apps can run in a card like the xserver emulator on webOS. Then the apps can looks to the chroot for their needs =3 just an idea and idk if it will work or not though. Anyone got any info on alien dalvik and how it works???
sup with the infinite amount of question marks?

·
Android Beginner
17 Posts
I heard the guys doing the cm7 port are actually working on this, is it true? I got told that they require a full android port before they can get it to work though, otherwise it'll be too slow.

·
Average Android
139 Posts
devize said:
I heard the guys doing the cm7 port are actually working on this, is it true? I got told that they require a full android port before they can get it to work though, otherwise it'll be too slow.
I never heard this. And I don't understand why that would be the case..

·
Registered
88 Posts
devize said:
Cm7 guyz are working porting android and then dual booting android+webOS, not a android app player for webOS

·
Android Apprentice
48 Posts
I think myriad hasn't released alien dalvik yet.. I couldn't even find info on which model they can perform on. Does anyone know anything? On another note, I have grown fond of the webOs. I love its multi tasking system. Unique. I will admit it still needs improvement buti believe this OS has potential if in the right hands. Would love to see alien dalvik on the hp tp.

p.s after overclocking to 1.5ghz, its performance is fast enough for me..

·
Android Apprentice
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ECOTOX said:
please see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=16971920&postcount=27 he talks about the same thing

·
Android Apprentice
16 Posts
1. For those complaining about slowness, please install the patches, tweaks and kernel as recommended on precentral. I did that and I am blown away by how fast it is now. I am not even oc'd much.
2. Gingerbread is designed fir phones. All gb tablets I have played with are not optimized for tablets. Honeycomb is a different matter and that I would love to see on the touchpad. As such getting cm7 on this does not even get me excited enough to blink an eyelid. Gingerbread on a tablet is quite underwhelming since it is not tablet optimized.
3. This device would probably have been a lot more successful if HP had marketed it only as an office productivity solution. The UI is certainly very intuitive with the cards etc. Once again please install prepare and the tweaks to unlock your touchpad. Then only can you judge the it well. HP stunted it with a few things that if removed, make a night and day difference.
4. Instead of the full port I would prefer the Dalvik engine to get the apps we need. That's the touchpads biggest drawback, not the OS. Once again, please judge after you install recommended preware homebrew tweaks and patches. I just compared it to my brother in laws ipad2 and this was optically faster for sure.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts