Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Superuser
8 Posts
I've decided to give my Desire HD to a deserving UK developer. All of the RootzWiki developer phones go to devs in the states, but there are so many around the world that need some love too. So on the table is my Desire HD. It's SIM unlocked, and S-OFF, and I think I already put the engineering bootloader on it (but don't quote me on that), and I'll include either a 4 or 8GB micro-sd (whichever I find laying around).

So if you're a dev in the UK, ROMS, Apps, mods, whatever, or know one who deserves a new phone (well, like new), post about it here. We'll pick someone tomorrow based on popularity and work, so please include links to threads here on RootzWiki, or give links to other sites (for example, if there's no forum for the devices you work on here) so we can see what you've done.

·
Developer
11 Posts
I'm definitely interested. I've worked on CyanogenMod for HTC Wildfire and ZTE Blade, as well as developing a hugely popular kernel for the Wildfire which is still used in a variety of ROMs for the device today, despite now being fairly old.

CM7 for Wildfire, for which I did the initial port and still co-maintain: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1143125
My kernel for Wildfire, which I don't work on anymore, but is still an example of my work: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=798471&highlight=HCDR
CM7 for ZTE Blade, which I co-maintain with Tom Giordano, and is hugely popular: http://android.modaco.com/topic/334...san-francisco-v710-rc1-26062011/#entry1627125

I'm also in the process of porting CyanogenMod to the Huawei U8800, which I have limited time for at the minute for a variety of personal reasons.

The Desire HD would be useful to me right now to use as a main phone while I finish work on the U8800. I could use it as my main phone without worrying about having a stable, fully working ROM on my U8800 for personal use. This means I could spend more time debugging the ROM and less time running nandroid backup and restores. And when the time comes, I'd do my best to help the others on the CM team get the next version of Android running on the Desire HD :)

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
I'm going to look like such a fanboy but I'm going to put a vote in for HCDRJacob. At only 17 years old he has already made a name for himself in the world of Android development being responsible for porting CyanogenMod to the HTC Wildfire, the ZTE Blade (along with Tom_G), and has recently started a port to the Huawei U8800. Developing for ZTE and Huawei devices is not an easy task since the manufacturer doesn't provide sufficient source to assist developers, which makes it all the more remarkable that someone of his age can manage so much.

Thousands of people use the ZTE Blade port of CyanogenMod with 20,480 active installations making it the sixth most popular device running CyanogenMod. The port just wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the work Jacob has done and donating this device to him would be a great appreciation of his work for the wider community.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm putting in a nomination for HCDRJacob. He's young, and seems busy doing work with what he has. It only makes sense to get him another device to dev for.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Well I know I'm not very well known around here, I'm a bit more known on XDA but the device I dev for (Hero) , is a bit of a dying device with little interest in it.

Most of my work has been on ports because the last official ROM for the Hero was 2.1 and good up to date software is hard to come by.

My work so far has included:

A HC SDK port, not really supported anymore. It was just an experiment for my own development.
A GB Sense ROM from the Salsa which has proved very popular and is one of the most popular Sense ROMs on XDA.
Unofficial OMFGB builds for the Hero GSM and for a little bit of fun an iPhone imitation ROM, which is quite an entertaining ROM to use.

At the moment I just joined the VillainROM team and I am working on a GingerVillain ROM for the Hero. So if I was chosen to get the Desire, I would be able use it as my main device and concentrate on supporting all my current ROMs as well as powering through development of GingerVillain.

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
Another vote for HCDRJacob here. He's doing great things now, so with a bit more encouragement (DesireHD would be a good start) he could go on to do some really great Android related stuff

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
I'd like to put in another good word for HCDRJacob; talented young dev who has done great work on the CM7 builds for Wildfire and Blade.

Martin Paul Eve
Doctoral Researcher
University of Sussex

·
Android Beginner
7 Posts
JieeHD gets my vote (sorry HCDRJacob :p )

He owns a hero and has started deving very late in the game for an old device but that does not discount the work he is doing.

We cannot judge a dev on the basis of how many devices he can afford, if anything that makes him a more worthy candidate.

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
I think JieeHD should win, because he has learned very quickly and is still learning very quickly!
He first started off with SalsaSense, and it is a great succes!
Now he's working on something for VillainRom, and it will be great again, I've seen a preview of it, and it looks VERY promising!

So please, give JieeHD the DHD, because he deserves it!!

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
HCDRJacob said:
I'm definitely interested. I've worked on CyanogenMod for HTC Wildfire and ZTE Blade, as well as developing a hugely popular kernel for the Wildfire which is still used in a variety of ROMs for the device today, despite now being fairly old.

CM7 for Wildfire, for which I did the initial port and still co-maintain: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1143125
My kernel for Wildfire, which I don't work on anymore, but is still an example of my work: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=798471&highlight=HCDR
CM7 for ZTE Blade, which I co-maintain with Tom Giordano, and is hugely popular: http://android.modaco.com/topic/334...san-francisco-v710-rc1-26062011/#entry1627125

I'm also in the process of porting CyanogenMod to the Huawei U8800, which I have limited time for at the minute for a variety of personal reasons.

The Desire HD would be useful to me right now to use as a main phone while I finish work on the U8800. I could use it as my main phone without worrying about having a stable, fully working ROM on my U8800 for personal use. This means I could spend more time debugging the ROM and less time running nandroid backup and restores. And when the time comes, I'd do my best to help the others on the CM team get the next version of Android running on the Desire HD :)
I vote for HCDRJacob as I know him through another forum. A smart dude along with another guy, who pulled off a CM7 port for the ZTE Blade. :) And raised awareness for the forum as there's a presence of a ZTE PR on the forum.

So, I hereby, vote HCDRJacob :)

·
Developer
11 Posts
qvert said:
HCDRJacob for helping me to get root on my s-offed device without having cwm etc before all that
Oh yeah forgot I'd done that :p

I built ClockworkMod for the Desire S as well as a favour to a former Wildfire user, without owning the device.

·
Superuser
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And the votes are in and counted, and the contributions have been weight. I've decided that HCDRJacob will get the DHD. I can't wait to see what comes out of him with a nice new device to play with. Congrats mate!

·
Developer
11 Posts
ChainsDD said:
And the votes are in and counted, and the contributions have been weight. I've decided that HCDRJacob will get the DHD. I can't wait to see what comes out of him with a nice new device to play with. Congrats mate!
Thank you very much. The device will be used mainly as an actual phone to allow me to spend more time on the U8800 for now, but I'll be working on the DHD soon enough :D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts