Android OS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am not sure if this has been covered so I apologize for the duplicate post in advance if there is a post already.

I just got the Verizon Developer Edition of the S4. I was able to flash Philz Touch 6 Recovery and boot into it. I made a nandroid backup first to make sure there are no issues.

Any 3rd party ROM that I install will not boot. I have tried Omni, Oct, and CM11. I either get a black screen after the Samsung unlocked boot logo or a weird screen that looks pixelated.

Anyone have this issue or know how to resolve? If I restore the nandroid, everything boots up fine stock.

Thanks in advance.

Omar

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am not sure if this has been covered so I apologize for the duplicate post in advance if there is a post already.

I just got the Verizon Developer Edition of the S4. I was able to flash Philz Touch 6 Recovery and boot into it. I made a nandroid backup first to make sure there are no issues.

Any 3rd party ROM that I install will not boot. I have tried Omni, Oct, and CM11. I either get a black screen after the Samsung unlocked boot logo or a weird screen that looks pixelated.

Anyone have this issue or know how to resolve? If I restore the nandroid, everything boots up fine stock.

Thanks in advance.

Omar
After installing the recovery I had to root with Chainfire's SuperSU/ root zip file. Once I flashed that and obtained root I have been able to flash roms easily.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply.

Are you saying that you had to do this even when you are flashing ROMs directly from the Philz recovery?

I didn't even let the phone get all the way into Stock. I just backed up stock and tried flashing a ROM and wiping data/cache...

I will give your suggestion a try tonight.

Thanks

Omar

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply.

Are you saying that you had to do this even when you are flashing ROMs directly from the Philz recovery?

I didn't even let the phone get all the way into Stock. I just backed up stock and tried flashing a ROM and wiping data/cache...

I will give your suggestion a try tonight.

Thanks
Omar
yes

·
Registered
73 Posts
I first flashed a couple of roms by scrosler that I found on XDA. Then Hyperdrive & a couple of others. Finally settled back on Hyperdrive with kt kernel & either Nova launcher or Apex. Tried one of the Aosp but came back to Hyperdrive. It's based on Touchwiz but allows lots of AOSP features. Haven't tried a kit-kat yet. Everything is going so well now that I hate to change anything.

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been having a heck of a time with this. The only recovery that will install is Philz and it won't let me install any ROMs. I have installed SuperSU-1.9.1 and the device is rooted.

Any ROM I install will not actually boot up and any other recovery besides Philz just takes me to Download Mode with an "unable to boot" error message.

Philz works fine but it won't let me install any ROMs. I feel like I am definitely missing a step here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts