Android OS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Average Android
392 Posts
So today I received in the mail a letter from VZW specifically pertaining to my cell line (its the only thing I have thru them anyways) that one of my computers (or other internet devices) might be infected with a harmful computer program (sometimes called "malware"). Vzw was notified by the FBI that this particular virus, called DNS Changer Malware, has infected millions of computers worldwide yada yada, please take appropriate steps to remove the infection.

Blah blah blah some more nonsense about it and failure to remove this virus from your computer will affect your ability to access the internet in the future.

Anyways, called up VZW to find out wtf was going on as I only have my Rezound. They weren't sure what was going on, called up the fraud department, they didn't know anything about (still confused as to why they were called in the first place). Was told to just monitor my account and make sure nothing changes with it, or nothing changes with the functionality of my device, and if anything does come up, take the letter into the store and talk with them or call customer support back.

My question to all of you, has anyone else received this kind of letter?

·
The Shadow within Android
562 Posts
Hm, can't say I have in the half a year I've been on Verizon. I never gotten similar things either from AT&T and we were with them for a few years before I got fed up with them. So, this is a new one on me.

·
Average Android
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah tell me about it, I was thuroughly confused, and sounded like vzw is as well. If anything does come up I'll post back, but who knows when/if that happens.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
27 Posts
The virus IS a legitimate issue; however to the best of my knowledge it doesn't (directly) effect cell phones. You can read about the malware here http://reviews.cnet....r-malware-scam/

From what I recall, the malware changes your DNS settings to redirect ad-pages to alternate servers; resulting in page-view revenue going to the malware creators opposed to the legitimate ad agencies. The FBI created NEW DNS servers to block the bad servers quite a while ago; but are now (EG in the near future) going to turn them off. The only people that should be affected by the FBI turning off their DNS servers would be those that are STILL infected by the DNSChanger malware.

I'm guessing the big hubbub over it again (because the virus its self is relatively old) is due to the recent announcement by the FBI concerning their DNS servers. Still don't know why you would have gotten anything from VZW though. Even if you had verizon home internet in the past; that's handled by Verizon directly, not Verizon Wireless which is a separate entity, and is just owned by and shares a name with VZ. Indeed, even the website you posted goes to the home service section of VZ, not the Wireless / Cellular division. Do you happen to have Verizon FiOS, TV or home phone? Or maybe in the past had it?

·
Average Android
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well good to know. I've never had anything from Verizon besides cell service, which I got the middle of last year.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
The Shadow within Android
562 Posts
Interesting, because I started using Verizon Wireless near July '11, and I've not received these type of notices from them. I don't know if its an isolated case, or if others may have gotten them... Still strange either way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts