Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Android Lover
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
xoomdev said:
From working on it, if 3g is going to work 4g is almost 99% going to work or be very very close.

Most of the work is getting data to work at all, then small amount of work (relatively) to get the actual lte stuff working.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update on that. I can't develop so I have no clue. Seemed like you could just use a standard RIL from any Verizon 3G phone that would just ignore LTE all together and that would work... haha.

· teh Jax
2,462 Posts
Folks, keep in mind 2 things:

1) The 3g on our phone is eHRPD which no older phones have.
2) One purpose of eHRPD is to make 3g and 4g look pretty much the same to the rest of the phone, so the RIL doesn't treat them all that differently at all.

So to get 3g working, they need to get eHRPD working. Once that works, 4g pretty much works. Or at least that's my understanding as somebody who hasn't actually done RIL development.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

· teh Jax
2,462 Posts
SomeGuyDude said:
All the TBolt threads on MIUI got shut down and an admin wrote this in one of the threads:

I think it may be DOA.
I think there's some drama going on within MIUI. I'm not privy to it but things haven't been quite right for the past ~4 months with the MIUI folks from what I've read in between the lines of (aka. their forums being suddenly unavailable, later moved to a new server, and then some devs ditching the forums yet still working on ports). So imho it has nothing to do with TBolt/MIUI but more has to do with the MIUI community itself.

I hope I'm wrong and they just get it working, though!

· Tech Fiend
65 Posts
Jaxidian said:
I think there's some drama going on within MIUI. I'm not privy to it but things haven't been quite right for the past ~4 months with the MIUI folks from what I've read in between the lines of (aka. their forums being suddenly unavailable, later moved to a new server, and then some devs ditching the forums yet still working on ports). So imho it has nothing to do with TBolt/MIUI but more has to do with the MIUI community itself.

From what it seemed like, some of the devs working on the MIUI port for the Thunderbolt asked for their help and they declined because they had no 4G LTE device over there in China. That's what I have been hearing, not entirely sure. Getting MIUI is still very possible, but it's just going to be extremely difficult and will take so much of their time. We'll see how this all pans out.

· Developer
18 Posts
dclay89 said:
Here's a question.. So once the official MIUI phone drops, will the devs have to release the source code for MIUI?? I'm hoping so.
Nope.. the only thing they are required to release is the kernel source code. The rest of Android is licensed under an Apache License which does not require source code to be released. We also asked MIUI if they had any plans of open sourcing and they said no.

· Developer
18 Posts
Jaxidian said:

Nah.. it was a mistake. I had all the threads reopened as jamezelle and I are still hacking away at it. The sheer number of commits we have to merge in is mind-numbing. Add on top of this the fact that we don't have the luxury of source code and we have to deal with smali and it's even more hellish.

Like others have stated.. with the minimal work involved to add 4G once 3G is working it makes no sense to release a 3G version. If xoomdev or any other smali masters want to assist us with this we'd be more than happy to have the help!

The other issue we face is that because merging all these commits takes so long by the time we make any progress, our release is already 2-3 revs behind. For example, our current work is being done on version 1.7.1 which is 2 releases behind the current. Once there is a stable MIUI release for the Desire HD it'll buy us some more time to stay current.

· Android Beginner
8 Posts
"n_i_x said:
Nah.. it was a mistake. I had all the threads reopened as jamezelle and I are still hacking away at it. The sheer number of commits we have to merge in is mind-numbing. Add on top of this the fact that we don't have the luxury of source code and we have to deal with smali and it's even more hellish.

Like others have stated.. with the minimal work involved to add 4G once 3G is working it makes no sense to release a 3G version. If xoomdev or any other smali masters want to assist us with this we'd be more than happy to have the help!

The other issue we face is that because merging all these commits takes so long by the time we make any progress, our release is already 2-3 revs behind. For example, our current work is being done on version 1.7.1 which is 2 releases behind the current. Once there is a stable MIUI release for the Desire HD it'll buy us some more time to stay current.
Thanks for the update nix, I would like to thank you guys for the hard work on this. Keep it up you guys rock!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.