Android OS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did something pretty stupied and when I rooted (newbie first time ever) I installed a new ROM without backing up my old Gingerbread OS. I would like to leave my phone rooted and get the Stock OS back is this possible?

Only because the little bugs in the aftermarket ROM's are starting to get to me.

Thank you for your help

·
Bad Influence
245 Posts
ibethebot said:
So I did something pretty stupied and when I rooted (newbie first time ever) I installed a new ROM without backing up my old Gingerbread OS. I would like to leave my phone rooted and get the Stock OS back is this possible?

Only because the little bugs in the aftermarket ROM's are starting to get to me.

Thank you for your help
RMK's Official ROM is pretty much stock, without the Verizon bloatware. I like the Gingerbang ROM, it's a little more customized, but I didn't notice any bugs. You can find them in the Developer section.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks JAS I'll give it a shot and see how I like it, if I ever had to remove the root from the phone for warrenty issues what would I do about the stock rom though?

·
Bad Influence
245 Posts
ibethebot said:
THanks JAS I'll give it a shot and see how I like it, if I ever had to remove the root from the phone for warrenty issues what would I do about the stock rom though?
If you put a stock ROM, you would still have s-off. There is a method to completely unroot. JCase made a tutorial. There is a thread stickied in the Developer section. If you ever need to use it make sure you follow all steps, and be careful. You have to replace the bootloader in the process, and if done improperly you can damage the phone.

You shouldn't need to worry about it, unless you actually have to send your phone to verizon.

I wouldn't give up on custom ROMS just yet. Yes some of them do have bugs, but those are usually new builds or ROMS ported over from other phones.

This ROM is based off of stock, but its tweaked a little.
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?2987-ROM.KERNEL-9.9.11-sense2.1-TSM-GingerBangVivoW-V1.7-*patch-crt-updated-kernel make sure you flash 1.6 first if you try it.

·
Bad Influence
245 Posts
And you can thank the guy who just answered you if you like it, it's his ROM.

Like he said, 1.6 is the ROM, 1.7 is a patch that you would flash afterwards.

If you have problems, just ask and I'm sure you'll get help if you need it.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so I have noticed that most ROM's I am using there are still little bugs here and there. Unfortunately I can't have issues with my phone as it is my life for work.

Any help on reverting back to the stock ROM would be appreciated.

·
Bad Influence
245 Posts
ibethebot said:
so I have noticed that most ROM's I am using there are still little bugs here and there. Unfortunately I can't have issues with my phone as it is my life for work.

Any help on reverting back to the stock ROM would be appreciated.
This ROM is closest to stock. It's from the latest update for our phone (2.3.4). It has the bloatware apps removed.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1161411

If you want to un-root you would have to use JCase's tutorial here in the developer section. Usually someone makes a "plain jane" ROM with no changes except root, but I haven't seen one for the latest update. One of the devs could probably throw one together fairly quick but I'm not sure who to ask. Hope it works out either way.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks JAS_21, I would like to keep the phone rooted just with the stock ROM, I'll give this one a shot.

Thank you,

·
Bad Influence
245 Posts

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Worked Perfect JAS_21, do you happen to know if there is a radio update as I noticed my reception is not as good with the other ROM

·
Bad Influence
245 Posts
ibethebot said:
Worked Perfect JAS_21, do you happen to know if there is a radio update as I noticed my reception is not as good with the other ROM
Flashing radio can be risky. I'm not responsible if you brick your phone.

Here is a guide.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134451

Verifying the md5 checksum is important. You want to check the radio file you download has the same number posted in the thread. If they are not identical the file is bad.

Edit: Radios are one thing I won't help with. If you need help you'll have to ask in the thread. It's not difficult, but also not for the average user.

·
Carbon-Based Robotic Tech Machine
2,243 Posts
JAS_21 said:
Flashing radio can be risky. I'm not responsible if you brick your phone.

Here is a guide.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1134451

Verifying the md5 checksum is important. You want to check the radio file you download has the same number posted in the thread. If they are not identical the file is bad.

Edit: Radios are one thing I won't help with. If you need help you'll have to ask in the thread. It's not difficult, but also not for the average user.
If you need radio help PM me or post in the radio thread at XDA (I will see the email from that too). They are really not that hard, but even when everything checks out still have the potential to cause issues. Spent a lot of time helping get people into the 0722 radio upgrade and fix problems that arise from it. The radio chip can be picky and can appear to be fine but not work and sometimes may take repeated flashes to take. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.