Android OS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Average Android
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. We recently inherited an original droid. I have a droid 2 and like it for now. Can't decide if I will keep my D2 or take the original. Does anyone know of any major differences? Is the bootloader locked? How is battery life? Thank you all in advance for your help.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Android Apprentice
68 Posts
I would say keep the D2. While the bootloader is unlocked on the og, the 2nd init method allows for full custom roms for the D2. More ram, and faster overclocking. Better overall. Though, I would recommend Cyanogenmod for your D2

·
Average Android
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Wife is rockin the OG and is loving it. Been runnin CM on the D2 for a while and your recomendation it spot on. A very salty rom for the D2 indeed.

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
"nwilkins17 said:
I would say keep the D2. While the bootloader is unlocked on the og, the 2nd init method allows for full custom roms for the D2. More ram, and faster overclocking. Better overall. Though, I would recommend Cyanogenmod for your D2
I believe that D2 is better but don't say that 2nd init allow full custom roms.

Sent from my Milestone using RootzWiki Forums

·
Android Apprentice
68 Posts
Why not? Cm7 is a full custom rom. The 2nd init method has fully opened the device to custom roms.

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
"nwilkins17 said:
Why not? Cm7 is a full custom rom. The 2nd init method has fully opened the device to custom roms.
Because still need Motorola signed drivers and kernel.Everything is build on Motorola kernels,that's why you must flash original kernel first.You can't port kernels from other phones.Look at the roms for other devices with unlock bootloader.

·
Android Apprentice
68 Posts
OK. Now I understand why you say its not fully unlocked. Well, nearly broken open. Modules and such allow full custom time with new features. Ala, Cyanogenmod

·
Android Beginner
5 Posts
Problem is that (for my phone-Milestone) there is CM7 Gingerbread, but on Froyo kernel. So, we can say that this is just great theme. ;-)
And there are always a lot of problems with this roms. ROMs are "custom" but not fully custom.
But maybe you right.This is just point of view.

·
Android Apprentice
68 Posts
they've broken open a bit more than they did on the milestone I believe. And last I've heard, they will be updating to the GB kernel when source is available again. BUT I understand what you mean.

·
Android Beginner
22 Posts
The last version update to the android kernel was with Froyo. It was 2.6.29 it is now 2.6.32. There technically is no such thing as a Gingerbread kernel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts