Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Android Apprentice
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Android Community,
I think I have managed to brick my Droid X. Was trying to install a custom ROM.

Tried several suggestions from this site and others. Data has been wiped including cache. Right now I can get it to Android system recovery <3e> by holding down the home button when powering up, then hitting search.

I have RSD LIte 4.9 and have downloaded a few SBF's. Was going to try and flash it. Problem is RSD Lite doesn't see my device. In fact, the device does not even seem to register with Windows when I plug in the USB.

Rebooted several times. Re-installed RSD Lite several times. My PC is Windows XP pro 32 bit.

Aside from biting the bullet and buying a full price Droid Bionic, what should I try?

·
Android Apprentice
81 Posts
Have you tried to do a factory reset in the factory recovery yet? If that don't fix the issue you'll have to sbf. Make sure you have the newest Motorola drivers installed first. That might be why you PC is not recognizing it. Then again when I sbf it never tells me anything about my device but just that USB is connected. Hope this helps.

·
Developer
718 Posts
You are going into bootloader before connecting USB right?

·
Android Apprentice
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Grizzedout,
I selected the option to wipe data/factory reset. It completed and I rebooted, nothing. That's when I started pursuing the SBF.

This same laptop never had any issues recognizing the USB connection before this happened. I have downloaded and installed this file: Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.2.0_32bit.msi
Should I look for a different driver install?

·
Android Apprentice
81 Posts
That sounds like the right file. Before you connect your phone you need to get into the phones bootloader. It should be an all blackscreen and should say something about battery ok and ready to program. Then connect your phone. Think you have to hold down power home key volume up And camera all at same time to get into that screen. Can't remember off hand which ones.

·
Android Apprentice
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
droidxchat,
Not sure what you mean by 'bootloader' is that a program? I've tried booting to the Android System Recovery prompt both ways, while connected via USB and prior to connecting via USB. Neither way seems to cause Windows to recognize the connection.

I just cleaned and installed Motorola Mobile Drivers and that didn't do anything.

·
Android Master
1,434 Posts
bootloader= hold camera, volume down and then hold power.

·
Android Apprentice
81 Posts
Hold down camera + volume up and then hold down power button all at same time. That will take you to the bootloader

·
Android Apprentice
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grizzedout, I am now in bootloader. Windows made a noise. RSD Lite doesn't show anything. Think I might have already been connected via USB when I came in to bootloader, let me retry.

·
Android Apprentice
81 Posts
On rsd lite it really wont say much other then on the left side something like device connected or USB connected been a while since I actually paid attention.

·
Android Apprentice
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, it shows transfer mode as USB. Windows dings when I connect/disconnect the USB cable, but the device doesn't show up in either RSD Lite or My Computer. Thoughts?

·
Android Master
1,434 Posts
If you have a blank CD, burn the ISO file, boot your computer from CD and sbf that way. Never fails.

Never used XP with this, hope someone with XP can help if it's different.?

·
Android Apprentice
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bob, I'll try that. I can handle a little Linux just fine. Problem is I can't do it anytime soon. The only PC I have access for the next couple of days is my work PC and it has some security stuff on it that won't let me boot from a CD.

·
Android Apprentice
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grizzedout I hit start and nothing seems to be happening. The SBF flash tutorials using RSD Lite all showed the device appearing when they click 'show device'.

·
Android Master
1,434 Posts
Do you know where you saved the sbf file?

·
Sorry, I must be new here
1,187 Posts
Bootloader key combo is only both volume keys, almost all other combos are for either stock recovery or cwr

The screen should be all black with white characters, when successfully connected the text near the bottom should say USB connected

once the device is recognized, detect it in the list
Make sure both boxes on to of rsd have new text in them
You should be able to start now
Not assuming anything but, the sbf file has been unzipped, correct?

·
Android Apprentice
81 Posts
Don't think that I've ever had it show my device just that a device is connected. I've done it on XP and 7.how big is your sbf file.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.