Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Droidrage
175 Posts
I really wanted to drop my DX for a Thunderbolt but never did because of $$. My wife now has a TB and frankly, it made me so happy I didn't lose my DX.

I think what makes the DX such a successful device is it was one of the first 4.3" phones from motorola. It had a 1ghz processor, also one of the first. It dropped the keyboard. Everyone dove on it and were up for the challenge of cracking the bootloader and in the meantime, made ROMs with what they had. That made a large community of devs. Now that locked bootloaders are kind of given up on for cracking, new phones with locked bootloaders aren't given much of a chance. The person that ported CM7 to the DX opened up a whole new can of worms and guess what, it revived many for the DX. I think it was a matter of timing more than the phone itself.

Either way, I love my DX and it will take a really amazing phone to pry it from me.

·
Developer
331 Posts
"IRONMatt said:
I have to say, IMO both incredibles out perform the X. I got an inc after my X and i now own both, and both are on CM. I see sooooo much better battery life and performance on the inc than the X (partially custom kernel but that doesnt do much because i dont overclock). Also, stock inc2's are SOOOO smooth. Its better than the bolt i feel
Battery life is a known issue on CM4DX. Put the X on .596 and try comparing them.

·
Android Beginner
4 Posts
johnomaz said:
I really wanted to drop my DX for a Thunderbolt but never did because of $$. My wife now has a TB and frankly, it made me so happy I didn't lose my DX.

I think what makes the DX such a successful device is it was one of the first 4.3" phones from motorola. It had a 1ghz processor, also one of the first. It dropped the keyboard. Everyone dove on it and were up for the challenge of cracking the bootloader and in the meantime, made ROMs with what they had. That made a large community of devs. Now that locked bootloaders are kind of given up on for cracking, new phones with locked bootloaders aren't given much of a chance. The person that ported CM7 to the DX opened up a whole new can of worms and guess what, it revived many for the DX. I think it was a matter of timing more than the phone itself.

Either way, I love my DX and it will take a really amazing phone to pry it from me.
Yeah with the constant reboots and the fact that the only thing the TB really has is a 4g. Id say it was smart staying with DX haha but what do you think about the Bionic?

·
Average Android
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'm definitely sticking with my X. The X² may snag me after the devs start making more progress on it as far as roms. The X² in my opinion has huge potential just like the first X.

·
Android Apprentice
18 Posts
iBeTRiiX said:
Yeah with the constant reboots and the fact that the only thing the TB really has is a 4g. Id say it was smart staying with DX haha but what do you think about the Bionic?
Never had reboot issues on my tbolt...MIUI on my incredible outperformed my DX all the time...the dev support for the tbolt is larger than the DX...CM4DX is nice but battery life is terrible AND you still can't run custom kernels..

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk

·
Average Android
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
"iNfAMOUS702 said:
Never had reboot issues on my tbolt...MIUI on my incredible outperformed my DX all the time...the dev support for the tbolt is larger than the DX...CM4DX is nice but battery life is terrible AND you still can't run custom kernels..

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
Battery life isn't an issue for me after build #19 or so and proper calibration ...

·
Not sent from my iPhone
33 Posts
soulsiphoner said:
Battery life isn't an issue for me after build #19 or so and proper calibration ...
Care to expand a bit?

·
Android Lover
125 Posts
"nimerix said:
Care to expand a bit?
I'm on nightly 34 and am over 11 hours at 48% battery. I use Android o/c but only use it to u/v
300 17
500 30
800 40
1000 48
I have not experienced terrible battery life while on CM, maybe not quite as good as apex rc2 but not much. It also got better after a few days, after it settled in.

Sent from my DROIDX using RootzWiki Forums

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I am on nightly 34 as well and just got 16.5 hours off battery( 96% down to 35%) [roughly 3.7%/hour discharge rate] with 2 hours screen time. I use quickclock advanced with custom settings:
300 14
475 28
650 34
800 39

still is smooth as butter, no lag at all, no lockups or random reboots and stays quite cool too now that it's all smoothed out.

·
Android Apprentice
22 Posts
There just doesn't seem to be a device from VZ that is worth an upgrade from the DX right now. They have dual core devices and LTE devices, but I won't upgrade until there is a device with both. I'm interested in the Bionic, but I'll hold out hope for a stock Android device. I despise all OEM frameworks!

·
Average Android
77 Posts
unkleduke said:
There just doesn't seem to be a device from VZ that is worth an upgrade from the DX right now. They have dual core devices and LTE devices, but I won't upgrade until there is a device with both. I'm interested in the Bionic, but I'll hold out hope for a stock Android device. I despise all OEM frameworks!
I have a feeling many DXers will upgrade to the Bionic. I am very interested in that device myself. Nothing up to this point (since i got my X) has made me extremely excited to try it out except for the Bionic. Maybe its the fact that they have been really secretive about it...

·
O_o
1,395 Posts
The Bionic seems great since it is 4G, Motorola built, Dual Core, 1gb of Ram, nice cameras, etc but if it is locked, no thanks. It took us over a year to get to the point where we could have full roms like CM7 and MIUI. Even now we can't boot straight to recovery from phone-off or replace kernels. I love my X's hardware but I don't want to deal with this again. If the Bionic becomes unlockable, I'll get it. If not, I'll wait for something that will unlock like a Samsung or something. I prefer Moto because of the hardware quality but I'll give that up for software freedom.

My upgrade isn't until March so I have plenty of time to see what happens. Hopefully by then there is an unlockable Moto phone (or dare I say it... a vanilla phone!?). If not, I'll be looking at Samsung and then HTC/LG. :(

·
Average Android
87 Posts
i just hope the bionic doesnt feature the ugly qHD display...
i wouldnt get the bionic myself if its locked, only because why would i want dual core 4G? when 4G wont be in my area until 2013?
i can just get the D3 or X2(not likely)
but i would rather go with a beautiful screen display like samsung, or even LG, does anyone know what the screen is on the LG? its gorgeous in person

·
Average Android
77 Posts
VoidedSaint said:
i just hope the bionic doesnt feature the ugly qHD display...
i wouldnt get the bionic myself if its locked, only because why would i want dual core 4G? when 4G wont be in my area until 2013?
i can just get the D3 or X2(not likely)
but i would rather go with a beautiful screen display like samsung, or even LG, does anyone know what the screen is on the LG? its gorgeous in person
LG Revolution? I know for sure its not Super AMOLED. This site says TFT WVGA? Not sure what that means though.
But yeah, I live in Louisville, KY and we just got LTE :) I'm VERY interested in upgrading to a 4g phone now.

·
Android Master
3,956 Posts
Can we get Moto internal hardware, HTC bootloader, and Samsung display on one phone? That's not too much to ask, right?

Reactions: abqnm

·
Carbon-Based Robotic Tech Machine
2,243 Posts
The Bionic definitely looks to be the next big hit. I see the DX2 as going the way the Droid 2 did... It is still a great phone and gets support, but does not have quite the following of the X. I will likely end up with a Bionic, but only after it has been rooted will I buy it. Have too many apps that require root to live without it. I don't mind the screen on the X2 that much, especially since it is great outdoors. I do have to say the Samsung screens are amazing though. I really hope the Bionic doesn't disappoint with regard to gaining root or even being unlocked, as I really like Moto androids. I would reluctantly get a GSII if the Bionic is a huge failure.

·
O_o
1,395 Posts
The X2 isn't different enough from an X. Besides HDMI mirroring and a higher res (but pentile) screen, the only other addition is dual core. My X never feels slow or low res to me so that isn't enough incentive to upgrade.

·
Android Master
3,956 Posts
"gardobus said:
The X2 isn't different enough from an X. Besides HDMI mirroring and a higher res (but pentile) screen, the only other addition is dual core. My X never feels slow or low res to me so that isn't enough incentive to upgrade.
Without a doubt. That's like buying the exact same car with a half liter larger engine and a dvd player.

·
Carbon-Based Robotic Tech Machine
2,243 Posts
INt_Rnd_Pooka said:
Without a doubt. That's like buying the exact same car with a half liter larger engine and a dvd player.
While there are people out there who do that, I have to agree. I do not believe that the X2 was made as an upgrade option to appeal to original DX owners. The phone is enough of a change to bring new buyers to the highly successful device line by building on the reputation of its predecessor and adding key features that people hear about and decide they need, like dual core. Sure an extra core is nice, but it is not essential right now as most applications do not really take full advantage of it. It is just a Droid X with a few fancy buzz words added.

That said, the Bionic is definitely targeted toward the Droid X owners as well as the mass market. The Bionic is the clear logical step up from the more than capable original X.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.