Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Hello All,

I'm new to this site but have used xda-developers for awhile. I am working on the touchdroid project myself. I have been able to use my own custom boot loader with a generic android image. I am currently working on a proper image and a friendly user install program. I will keep you all posted and should have a working port by the weekend.

I have been programming for 14 years. I can program in over 10+ programming langugage and I currently work as a nvidia tegra developer.

If anyone would like to help just reply to this topic and i will find something for you to do.

I dont like to talk about other projects or other devs but both dumps from the qualcomm systems are garbage.

EDIT: I changed the name to DroidPad due to conflicting names with another project

·
Android Lover
144 Posts
I have been able to use my own custom boot loader
Really? On the TouchPad? Can you provide any details? I want to do the same (U-Boot specifically) but I need to know if trashing the bootloader is reversible...

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With as much details as I can provide without hurting my own project you can do almost anything with u-boot that you want to do. Im sure there are ways to trash the bootloader but ive manipulated it so far every way possible without perminent damage. Everything can be restored through webos doctor

·
Android Lover
144 Posts
lJesterl said:
With as much details as I can provide without hurting my own project you can do almost anything with u-boot that you want to do. Im sure there are ways to trash the bootloader but ive manipulated it so far every way possible without perminent damage. Everything can be restored through webos doctor
That sounds promising lJesterl. In case your wondering, I am not currently, nor am I going to be, part of the 'Bounty Chase' ;) and I certainly don't want to get in the way of anything you are doing - My sole desire is to have a functional port of U-Boot for the TouchPad, and at the rate I have other projects piling up, this will be a while off. If you feel you can provide me with any information on how to achieve this, can you let me know - I'm the U-Boot x86 maintainer, so getting my contact details will be trivial (or you can PM me)

·
Android Beginner
3 Posts
lJesterl said:

I dont like to talk about other projects or other devs but both dumps from the qualcomm systems are garbage.
Can you be more specific? Which version are you using? or planing to use?

Jesterl said:

What exactly mean:
With as much details as I can provide without hurting my own project
Really sound like you won't share? or am i wrong?

Anyway looking your progress, good luck.

·
Android Apprentice
16 Posts
Hey Jester,

I would love to help i've been working on the project myself as well ( the other thread in the android dev section). and would love to see if i could help you get it going cause you sound like your just a bit farther then me. I would love to see this thing pop out and im pretty good at cleaning up install processes/porting procedures by designing what I call step condensing scripts to do the work for you when it comes to the nitty gritty. Any ways I'm more then willing to dev and test for you. shoot me a pm and we'll talk some more.

-Tmann

·
Android Apprentice
87 Posts
Jester, count me in. for any help needed. Testing/flashing/bricking (jk).
I've been toying with things on my own, but the only success I have had is with;

1. ubuntu
2. modifying a dual boot from SHR and dumping an Android Image into the directory instead. (no success) -- go figure
3. Unbricking several times :)-D ) w/ webos doctor. LOL

So really... no success with android booting thus far for me. I NOT after the bounty, I'm purely bored now that I an no longer employed and watching HGTV gets annoying with all the chick shows.
LOL.

So really now I have nothing but time on my hands... need to do something more then flipping the tv remote. hahaha

·
Android Apprentice
48 Posts
no clue if you need help testing or anything, but I'm familiar with adb and some light android programing(editing files, etc).

·
Android Apprentice
80 Posts
I can probably help. I have a touchpad with preware running customer OC kernels right now (which probably aren't helpful). PM me for what is needed and I can tell you what I am good at. Thanks

·
Android Beginner
1 Posts
I'm more than willing to brick an iPad ;)

and I'd also be willing to write tutorials for you if you want to make any.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am really pleased with the support thus far. Thank you all.

The only disadvantage to my port will be no dual boot. It will be android gingerbread only. After the release I plan to go back and create more customization in the rom to better fit the touchpad. I apprecaite everyone's interest in testing. That will be what I will need the most. I have having a few issues that im working out and im having major issues creating a simplistic user installing package. Once its done I may just have to have someone ,whoever can do the best, make the easiest installing process/guide possible. I will keep you guys posted.

·
Android Beginner
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure who they are but if you wouldnt mind to share there details I will contact them.

I need assitance from anyone who would like to help me who is running a 64bit version of ubunutu. My desktop crapped out on me and my laptop is only 32bit. I need the following compiled/built and uploaded for me to download.

$repo init -u git://codeaurora.org/platform/manifest.git -b
gingerbread_rel -m M8660AAABQNLYA109002.xml

$repo sync

cd <android-source-tree>

source build/envsetup.sh

choosecombo 1 1 msm8660_surf eng

- Where 1 = Device
- Where 1 = Release

- make -j4

if the above manifest fails try M8660AAABQNLYA109036.xml

Please insure that everything is intact (i.e boot.img, system.img .mbn, xt4 img's etc)

·
Android Apprentice
48 Posts
I don't know if you got that code compiled or not...if not let me know. But like I said, as far as testing, I don't mind not dual booting

·
Android Apprentice
87 Posts
lJesterl said:
I have having a few issues that im working out and im having major issues creating a simplistic user installing package. Once its done I may just have to have someone ,whoever can do the best, make the easiest installing process/guide possible. I will keep you guys posted.
Jester, I will say that is going to be the major hurdle for most users. I did not have any programming background, but just a quick study and now that I am not working for the next couple of weeks... I read, read, read. So yeah, its a bit lengthy and to be honest at first it was so intimidating. But then again, I had nothing else to do. LOL
So something simple would be great.

I was thinking:

1. Using metaDoctor to create a costume webos doctor and if possible have that do the injection of android? ; if its possible ( I haven't gotten that far yet)
2. If its possible to write an ipk file and using preware to install. (much like patches/kernels)
3. An install package that would contain all the necessary files, with an install script that would do all or most of the work?
(something on the lines of -- unzip package, copy paste these files in these directory, once done click this script and let it run, etc...)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.