Android OS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Average Android
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got offered what seems to be a decent deal on a Dx2 ($150).
After reading a few reviews I'm left wondering if I should purchase it or just pass. Any input is much appreciated. I only have a few days to decide.

G

·
crash1781 said:
After reading a few reviews I'm left wondering if I should purchase it or just pass. Any input is much appreciated. I only have a few days to decide.
Stock, it's an amazing phone and very snappy with the dual core processor. It lacks LTE, but that may or may not be an issue for you. There isn't a lot of dev support for it yet, but I'm sure that will grow over time as devs either get one donated or pick one up for themselves. As of right now, it doesn't have nearly the same level of dev support that similar phones have though.

With that said, a friend of mine has one and loves it. I don't think she even knows what a custom ROM is though. ;) As far as stock vs. stock, her phone blows my X out of the water. I would have definitely considered getting one if I didn't have a desire to do a lot of customization. If you want a great stock phone, I say go for it. Otherwise, the Thunderbolt is a great option if you have an upgrade available on your contract since it's fully exploitable and there are multiple ROMs and kernels available for it (including CM7). It really comes down to what you want to do with it. Custom recovery is booting on the X2, and I have no doubt that there will be ROMs for it eventually. Custom kernels, however, are currently not possible with its locked bootloader (darn Motorola :p).

·
Average Android
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx for quick reply. I currently have the TB and don't plan on dropping it any time soon. So it sounds as if it may be a good deal to:

A: toss it in a drawer and wait for dev support.

B: try to flip in on Craigslist for a quick profit.

BTW, what is a fairly reasonable price to ask? $250 - $300?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
982 Posts
crash1781 said:
i'd get the droid3

G

·
crash1781 said:
Thx for quick reply. I currently have the TB and don't plan on dropping it any time soon. So it sounds as if it may be a good deal to:

A: toss it in a drawer and wait for dev support.

B: try to flip in on Craigslist for a quick profit.

BTW, what is a fairly reasonable price to ask? $250 - $300?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
$250.00 should be a reasonable price if you want to flip it. Like ericerk said, the Droid 3 is also a decent option. Unfortunately, the Droid 3 also has a locked bootloader and cannot run custom kernels because of it. Motorola has been talking about rolling out future products with an unlocked bootloader, but it's currently not the case with the Droid 3. Hopefully, they won't forget their existing product line when, or if, they decide to start pushing out unlockable bootloaders.

·
Registered
982 Posts
swiftmazda said:
$250.00 should be a reasonable price if you want to flip it. Like ericerk said, the Droid 3 is also a decent option. Unfortunately, the Droid 3 also has a locked bootloader and cannot run custom kernels because of it. Motorola has been talking about rolling out future products with an unlocked bootloader, but it's currently not the case with the Droid 3. Hopefully, they won't forget their existing product line when, or if, they decide to start pushing out unlockable bootloaders.
The nice thing about the d3 is that its gsm, it has a front facing camera, it has GINGERBREAD!! Oh and i'd flip it for 400 50bucks off off contract

·
Average Android
106 Posts
I'm definitely thinking about getting the X² just for the dual-core, but I can only hope that it would eventually get some great dev support and I also hope the locked bootloader won't matter since they have the 2nd-init process ...Idk

·
Air Force Android
326 Posts
As a VZW sales rep I have hard time recommending this phone to anyone who either asks for it specifically or people who need the largest landscape virtual keyboard available. The X2 currently does NOT deliver with its dual core processor. It seems to lag in even the simplest of tasks, like waking from screen lock. The screen is a joke too with it's crazy ghosting. In use one as my work phone and I hate it. I wish every day I could get my Fascinate back.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Spaniard85 said:
As a VZW sales rep I have hard time recommending this phone to anyone who either asks for it specifically or people who need the largest landscape virtual keyboard available. The X2 currently does NOT deliver with its dual core processor. It seems to lag in even the simplest of tasks, like waking from screen lock. The screen is a joke too with it's crazy ghosting. In use one as my work phone and I hate it. I wish every day I could get my Fascinate back.
is there a way to dump the x2 and get the d3?

·
Android Beginner
2 Posts
Spaniard85 said:
I've noticed this too. My friend has a Thunderbolt, but recommended the X2 for me. About one day after my trade-in period, he said "You know, you probably should have went for the Thunderbolt"

The screen suffers horribly from ghosting, the colors are a bit off compared to other phones, colors (especially green) seem to have sort of a checkerboard look to them rather than being solid, it crashes frequently, stutters and jitters quite a bit compared to my friend's Thunderbolt (which is unbelievably smooth on CM7 or AOSP), does not always get good enough of a signal to reliably stream Pandora, only gets about 12 hours of battery life even with minimal use.. The list goes on.

For a higher end phone, I was surprised to see that it's a little low on RAM and it is not LTE compatible. I was kind of expecting a Tegrabolt.

I'm going out on a bit of a limb and hoping that an OTA update will address a LOT of these issues. I'm also hoping it's mostly just Froyo that's not playing well nicely with having two cores. A quick linpack bench shows that the phone has some serious power, it's just.. not.. smart enough to know how to use it.

IMHO, Moto and Verizon need to get their collective butts in gear. This phone has power, I just can't understand why it feels (almost intentionally) gimped.

·
Registered
982 Posts
tech.kyle said:
I've noticed this too. My friend has a Thunderbolt, but recommended the X2 for me. About one day after my trade-in period, he said "You know, you probably should have went for the Thunderbolt"

The screen suffers horribly from ghosting, the colors are a bit off compared to other phones, colors (especially green) seem to have sort of a checkerboard look to them rather than being solid, it crashes frequently, stutters and jitters quite a bit compared to my friend's Thunderbolt (which is unbelievably smooth on CM7 or AOSP), does not always get good enough of a signal to reliably stream Pandora, only gets about 12 hours of battery life even with minimal use.. The list goes on.

For a higher end phone, I was surprised to see that it's a little low on RAM and it is not LTE compatible. I was kind of expecting a Tegrabolt.

I'm going out on a bit of a limb and hoping that an OTA update will address a LOT of these issues. I'm also hoping it's mostly just Froyo that's not playing well nicely with having two cores. A quick linpack bench shows that the phone has some serious power, it's just.. not.. smart enough to know how to use it.

IMHO, Moto and Verizon need to get their collective butts in gear. This phone has power, I just can't understand why it feels (almost intentionally) gimped.
Its gimped cuz of the bionic, its supposed to be a SUPERPHONE,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts