Android OS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 306 Posts

·
Developer
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hi JC,

I just applied the first fsck_msdos fix and it seemed to go well. I saw the notification for preparing SD card, checking for errors and there was no dialog suggesting errors.

I was thinking about doing the fix to expand internal storage, so I went into Settings/Storage to see how much space I had. I set my TP aside while I was reading this thread and my screen timed out as usual after 2 minutes. When I pressed power to bring it back up, I got a FC message. This FC seems to be just in Settings/Storage and is repeatable. I get the FC whether my screen times out, or I press power to shut off the screen. I also tried bringing the screen back up with the "hard" home button and still get the FC.

It's not really a big deal because I'll hardly ever be in the storage screen but I figured I would let you know. Thanks.

Btw, I cleared data in settings but the issue still persists.

Edit: I'm not so sure that this wasn't already an issue with 3.5, maybe just a coincidence that I happened to see it after installing the fix???

Mike T
Looks like that issue has been around for a while.

Issue 312: FC on Storage Settings after sleep/wake: http://code.google.com/p/cmtouchpad/issues/detail?id=312

·
Gadget Freak
194 Posts
Yes, I see that. Thanks for taking the time to respond and link that page, I'm sure it will come in handy down the road regarding other issues. Thanks again for the fixes as well as your other contributions.

Mike T

·
Registered
48 Posts
James, appreciate the informative posting and research.

Was moving app data over to sdcard, a few apps at a time. But then received error, similar to "no sd-ext found" and "E: unknown volume for path [sd-ext]". I suspect I hit the 50+ app limit. Unfortunately discovered this very informative thread AFTER I did a factory reset via CWM Recovery. Then after that I remembered I had done a CWM Recovery Backup the night before (duh), so I ran a restore.

So all appears well in that regard (except losing data to apps which were installed after the orginal backup). No biggy.

However looking at /sdcard in File Manager listings, it appears that orphaned app data directories/files now litter the directory and subdirectories. How would one identify and remove orphaned/unwanted app data files or at least compare to current files/directories.

On a related note, do any WebOS apps and Android/CM7 apps use the very same data directories to store data files, possibly with same filenames? For example, Angry Birds HD/Seasons/Rio ? What might be the implications (pro and con)?

I wish to locate a good overview of CM7 and WebOS directory/file structures on the TouchPad and the potential boot system/file system interaction issues. Any recommends?

Thanks again for the helpful posting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have never had any "noticeable" SD card problems, but I installed the " fsck_msdos fix", and rebooted,
I could see the notification, but no warnings or anything.

I then tried running "data_plus_1024mb" and got the "cm-data failed rc=4" so I made a backup and ran
webOS Doctor and ACMEUninstaller, and then after webOS was back up I manually removed all files that
I put on the HP Touchpad and what was left from Android, and then ran ACMEInstaller and only installed
"Clockwork Recovery" and Moboot, when "Clockwork Recovery" and Moboot were installed I restored
from backup, and then tried the "more aggressive filesystems check" and it shows "cm-data failed rc=1"

What now?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have never had any "noticeable" SD card problems, but I installed the " fsck_msdos fix", and rebooted,
I could see the notification, but no warnings or anything.

I then tried running "data_plus_1024mb" and got the "cm-data failed rc=4" so I made a backup and ran
webOS Doctor and ACMEUninstaller, and then after webOS was back up I manually removed all files that
I put on the HP Touchpad and what was left from Android, and then ran ACMEInstaller and only installed
"Clockwork Recovery" and Moboot, when "Clockwork Recovery" and Moboot were installed I restored
from backup, and then tried the "more aggressive filesystems check" and it shows "cm-data failed rc=1"

What now?
I just ran webOS Doctor again, but before I did I put "Clockwork Recovery" and Moboot into cminstall,
so that I could bypass webOS setup, after ACMEInstaller, I ran "Clockwork Recovery" and tried the
"more aggressive filesystems check" first, and it still shows "cm-data failed rc=1"

I then ran "wipe data/Factory reset" and tried the "more aggressive filesystems check" again and it still
shows "cm-data failed rc=1"

I also retried the data_plus_1024mb" and got the "cm-data failed rc=4"

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same "cm-data failed rc=4" issue and was able to get past it.
1. Took a nandroid backup of my Alpha 3.0 and copied it to my PC
2. Used the ACMEUninstaller to uninstall CyanogenMod
3. Logged into WEBOS and connected the TP to my PC.
4. Formatted the HP Touchpad disk (FAT32 - Quick Format)
5. Created the cminstall folder, copied the installation and followed the steps to install CyanogenMod Alpha 3.0
6. Followdd the steps to check the card for errors and installed the data plus 2048mb successfully
7. Copied the Nandroid backup to clockworkmod/backup directory and restored the backup.

Im not sure this will work but, you could just copy everything from your touchpad to your PC, format the drive and recopy everything back. Take the backup before you try this though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
5. Created the cminstall folder, copied the installation and followed the steps to install CyanogenMod Alpha 3.0
6. Followdd the steps to check the card for errors and installed the data plus 2048mb successfully
7. Copied the Nandroid backup to clockworkmod/backup directory and restored the backup.

Im not sure this will work but, you could just copy everything from your touchpad to your PC, format the drive and recopy everything back. Take the backup before you try this though.
I had the backup on my computer already, I did the webOS setup/login and ACMEUninstaller, then formatted with
"Disk Utility" under OS X, I restarted webOS, then made the "cminstall" and "clockworkmod/backup" folders for my
backup and the "Clockwork Recovery" and Moboot files, then ran ACMEInstaller, then ran the restore, then booted into
android, restarted, then installed "fsck_msdos fix", restarted, then tried running "data_plus_2048mb" and still got the
"cm-data failed rc=4".

Is it my backup, if so how do I fix it?

·
Registered
21 Posts

I tried that on my first go around to with the SD card and had disastrous results. I ended up in a never ending reboot cycle. I ultimately had to use the WebOS doctor to repartition before I could get out of the reboot loop. I'm not sure what caused it though, but at the very least I'd say to be careful when you try formatting via usb... Backup backup backup.

Does anyone know if the 50+ apps problem is fixed in any of the other roms?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the backup on my computer already, I did the webOS setup/login and ACMEUninstaller, then formatted with
"Disk Utility" under OS X, I restarted webOS, then made the "cminstall" and "clockworkmod/backup" folders for my
backup and the "Clockwork Recovery" and Moboot files, then ran ACMEInstaller, then ran the restore, then booted into
android, restarted, then installed "fsck_msdos fix", restarted, then tried running "data_plus_2048mb" and still got the
"cm-data failed rc=4".

The only thing I did differently is I did the fixes before I restored the backup. Im not sure of the OS X format though. Im a PC and I do all my formats using the Windows Explorer..

·
Android Beginner
15 Posts
I have four touchpads. One for my wife and one for each of my kids. One was a clean install today of 3.5. Anyway, all of them worked with the first fix (sd card check), and none of them work with the "more aggressive fix" and none of them worked with trying to increase the internal storage fixes. I always get the "cm-data failed rc=4". Made sure data was not mounted (CWM), and ran fixes, but all failed. Not sure if I am missing something, but it sounds like this is not working for a lot of people. I appreciate the effort though....

·
Developer
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
"cm-data failed rc=4".

I suggest trying ACMEUninstaller again. Then, re-install CM with ACMEInstaller (include CM, CWM and moboot).
Then, apply the fsck_msdos fix. Then try "data_plus_2048mb".

Also, make sure that you *DO NOT* use the Power+Home method to force a reboot (this leads to filesystem corruption).

·
Developer
339 Posts
I have four touchpads. One for my wife and one for each of my kids. One was a clean install today of 3.5. Anyway, all of them worked with the first fix (sd card check), and none of them work with the "more aggressive fix" and none of them worked with trying to increase the internal storage fixes. I always get the "cm-data failed rc=4". Made sure data was not mounted (CWM), and ran fixes, but all failed. Not sure if I am missing something, but it sounds like this is not working for a lot of people. I appreciate the effort though....
The only real issue that I've seen reported is due to corruption on the /data filesystem. This has been mentioned by six people (including you).
Only one person has reported not being able to (thus far) be able to correct those errors with the steps I've provided in this thread. I would
suggest using ACMEUninstaller (see previous posts) to get rid of the corruption on the /data partition.

UPDATE:
The current number of people who report not being able to apply the fixes after following the steps I've provided in this thread: ZERO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you can also do what i do and once in a while boot into webos and do a fsck on the cm-data and media partition provided you have setup xcutah and xterm

on a side note it seems that the partition is easily corruptable, after an install and boot of cm to setup then a reboot to webos fscking cm-data already starts to give errors

·
Android Beginner
14 Posts
I really do not know how this happened, but I seem to have lost the FS on my SDCard. When I connect it to my PC and try to mount it, Windows sees it as a RAW device and wants to format it. Linux sees it similarly:

Code:
<br />
[  198.378127] USB Mass Storage support registered.<br />
[  199.395003] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access	 HP	   webOS-device	 0327 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2<br />
[  200.202950] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0<br />
[  200.228155] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk<br />
[  225.033488] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 26738688 512-byte logical blocks: (13.6 GB/12.7 GiB)<br />
[  225.499597]  sdb: sdb1<br />
[  226.678585] FAT-fs (sdb1): bogus number of reserved sectors<br />
[  226.678589] FAT-fs (sdb1): Can't find a valid FAT filesystem<br />
How do I properly format the FS on my SDCard?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I suggest trying ACMEUninstaller again. Then, re-install CM with ACMEInstaller (include CM, CWM and moboot).
Then, apply the fsck_msdos fix. Then try "data_plus_2048mb".

Also, make sure that you *DO NOT* use the Power+Home method to force a reboot (this leads to filesystem corruption).
(1) I ran ACMEUninstaller

(2) I booted into webOS, and formatted the Touchpad, then restarted. - May not be needed -

(3) I booted into webOS, then made the "cminstall" folder and placed

update-cwm_tenderloin-1012.zip
moboot_0.3.4.zip
update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a3.5-fullofbugs.zip

inside the "cminstall" folder.

(4) I ran ACMEInstaller.

(5) I booted into Android, then rebooted into ClockworkMod, then installed the
"fsck_msdos fix" and then rebooted back into Android.

(6) I rebooted back into ClockworkMod, and then installed the "data_plus_2048mb"
and it worked

(7) I then booted into Android, and made the "clockworkmod/backup" folder and placed
my backup into it, then rebooted into ClockworkMod and ran the restore.

It worked, thanks!

·
Developer
339 Posts
I really do not know how this happened, but I seem to have lost the FS on my SDCard. When I connect it to my PC and try to mount it, Windows sees it as a RAW device and wants to format it. Linux sees it similarly:

Code:
<br />
[  198.378127] USB Mass Storage support registered.<br />
[  199.395003] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access	 HP	   webOS-device	 0327 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2<br />
[  200.202950] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0<br />
[  200.228155] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk<br />
[  225.033488] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 26738688 512-byte logical blocks: (13.6 GB/12.7 GiB)<br />
[  225.499597]  sdb: sdb1<br />
[  226.678585] FAT-fs (sdb1): bogus number of reserved sectors<br />
[  226.678589] FAT-fs (sdb1): Can't find a valid FAT filesystem<br />
How do I properly format the FS on my SDCard?
Have you installed the fsck_msdos fix (as per the instructions in the OP of this thread)?

·
Android Beginner
15 Posts
The only real issue that I've seen reported is due to corruption on the /data filesystem. This has been mentioned by six people (including you).
Only one person has reported not being able to (thus far) be able to correct those errors with the steps I've provided in this thread. I would
suggest using ACMEUninstaller (see previous posts) to get rid of the corruption on the /data partition.

UPDATE:
The current number of people who report not being able to apply the fixes after following the steps I've provided in this thread: ZERO.
I did not intend to offend you. I really do appreciate the work you do for this. I was just letting you know that I followed the instructions in the first post and it did not work for me. I will attempt (when I get the time) to use the ACMEUninstaller and start fresh with each of my touchpads. It sounds like that is working for most people. However, that was not what was posted in the original post. It did not say that you need to uninstall (using ACMEUninstaller) and reinstall everything.

Please don't take offense to what I am saying. I just thought that I should report my results so that you know what is going on, as it may help you figure out what works and what doesn't. I am amazed witht the progress of this port and I am grateful to you and the rest of the team for all your hard work.

·
Gadget Freak
194 Posts
Hi JC,

Just wanted to let you know that I applied the data plus 2048mb fix today. Followed your instructions exactly and it went through beautifully. My 32gb TP had approx. 25.52gb SD total space before and 23.52gb after. My internal went from approx. 1.45gb total space to 3.45gb and all seems to be working well.

Thanks again,

Mike T

21 - 40 of 306 Posts