Android OS Forum banner

Fundies!!!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  scarmon25 
#1 ·
My cousin just told me she was going to Hyles-Anderson College next year. Here's an excerpt from the student handbook.
About Us:

Our Dress Code
Many think our dress code is too strict. Skirts above the knees are not allowed. Men must wear neckties to class and must have short haircuts. Young ladies may not wear shorts or slacks.

Our Old-Fashioned Discipline
Young ladies are not allowed to go off campus unchaperoned. Young men and young ladies may not date alone in cars. Absolutely no hand holding or other intimacies are allowed between the genders. There are date nights with bus transportation and adequate chaperones provided by the college. Student insubordination is absolutely forbidden.

Our Intense Evangelistic Atmosphere
All faculty, staff, and students are required to go soul winning weekly. Students participate in the evangelistic ministry of the First Baptist Church of Hammond, Indiana, which builds its ministry around personal soul winning. An average of over 10,000 new converts were baptized each year for the past several years.
Our Fundamentalist Emphasis
We are fundamentalists and use the term proudly. We believe in a literal Hell which has fire and brimstone and a literal Heaven with streets of gold. We stand for the King James Bible as the only Bible and the local New Testament church as the only true church. We believe in redemption through the blood of Christ, salvation by grace through faith alone, and the premillennial second coming of Jesus Christ.

Our Separatist Position
Absolutely no drinking, smoking, or dancing is allowed. No student is allowed to attend Hollywood movies, play cards, or participate in other questionable amusements. We do not fellowship with liberals, but instead take a strict separatist stand from the world and apostasy.
scary stuff. trying to figure a way to talk her out of it. any suggestions would be helpful.

#6 ·
From the Wikipedia: Hyles-Anderson College (HAC) is an unaccredited Bible college in unincorporated Crown Point, Lake County, Indiana. (As if that wasn't obvious from the handbook).

I think I found your loophole. As far as I know, an unaccredited university in most cases (religious institutions may make an exception) is incapable of transferring credits to another university. I believe your degree is also not recognized out of state and that employers are less likely to accept it from an unaccredited university. I know my friend says that he cannot get licensed to work out of state (of the college) as a Psychology major since he is going to an unaccredited grad school. Take from this what you will and hopefully someone knows more than I do about unaccredited universities or if I'm just talking hearsay.

#7 ·
Tahl said:
From the Wikipedia: Hyles-Anderson College (HAC) is an unaccredited Bible college in unincorporated Crown Point, Lake County, Indiana. (As if that wasn't obvious from the handbook).

I think I found your loophole. As far as I know, an unaccredited university in most cases (religious institutions may make an exception) is incapable of transferring credits to another university. I believe your degree is also not recognized out of state and that employers are less likely to accept it from an unaccredited university. I know my friend says that he cannot get licensed to work out of state (of the college) as a Psychology major since he is going to an unaccredited grad school. Take from this what you will and hopefully someone knows more than I do about unaccredited universities or if I'm just talking hearsay.
you're on point. my wife went to a fundie school in the southeast... got her masters in education and can't even teach middle school here in utah. she abandoned any hopes of teaching and is in a completely different career. tens of thousands of dollars wasted. I've tried telling my cousin her story, but she thinks she's being, "called by the lord". guess there's just no way of talking sense into some people.

#10 ·
ro6666lt said:
you're on point. my wife went to a fundie school in the southeast... got her masters in education and can't even teach middle school here in utah. she abandoned any hopes of teaching and is in a completely different career. tens of thousands of dollars wasted. I've tried telling my cousin her story, but she thinks she's being, "called by the lord". guess there's just no way of talking sense into some people.
Tell me about it. I don't even know why you'd pick a school like that to go to. Either go to a college or a convent, not a hybrid hell bent on instilling strange morals and a useless education in people that can't be used anywhere else in the country.

#11 ·
Tahl said:
Tell me about it. I don't even know why you'd pick a school like that to go to. Either go to a college or a convent, not a hybrid hell bent on instilling strange morals and a useless education in people that can't be used anywhere else in the country.
That or Seminary school. But I agree completely. Pick one or the other. Don't go with a school that's going to give you a worthless degree.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.