Android OS Forum banner

Future Buyer: What's fixed and what's still broken?

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  ERIFNOMI 
#1 ·
I've been waiting to get a GNex for awhile now but I'm still worried because I can't find a definite answer to my questions..

Has the weaker signal issue been fixed? i.e. Displaying same signal strength as a Razr / GNex isn't faking the signal bars.

Screen Banding: Has this been fixed with new batches or am I at risk of buying one full of issues and I'll have to go through multiple swaps to find a good one?

Reboots: People on unrooted+stock phones, have they addressed the reboot issue? (Last I heard from a friend he had that issue)

Anything else I should check for before I make the plunge?

#2 ·
Go to the store and mess around with both phones and make the decision for your self. My phone personally had full 4g with 4 bars all the time depending on what area I'm in, i have had no reboots and the screen is fine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Don't worry about the weaker signal indicator, what actually matters is the speed you're getting. I live on the edge of a 4G network and usually only get 1-2 bars but can still consistently get 25-35 Mbps down and 7-12 Mbps up.

I never had a problem with screen banding, the reports of it are limited. Keep in mind all the people who DON'T post their problems because they don't have any!

When I was stock and unrooted, I had one random reboot and like 2 sleep of deaths. Now that I'm rooted, I don't get them (unless I'm testing experimental kernels, but never with a stable kernel).

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Like the others have said. Not much to worry about on the signal and reboots. If you get a device with screen banding just get a replacement. I was unlucky enough to get one of these and when you mine next to another gnex it was very obvious my screen was jacked. Its not a software thing that will be patched. But its pretty rare to get a bad one. When you get one look at the greys in the setup wizard. If it looks like textured paper then you got a bad screen. And I mean a lot of streaks. Some faint streaks are normal.

#5 ·
seriously. buy the phone. unless you've got whacked service in your area, you'll be totally fine. there are actually a lot of places that I don't get services that come to mind....all of them have one thing in common--they're underground lol I work on comm lines. the point is that any screen issues that were around are pretty much gone....I still get nervous every time a sales rep reaches into the cabinet and grabs a random box but I have faith for some reason. I would so buy the phone. ESPECIALLY since my roomie has a razr, which I interact with daily. I love my phone and my roomie does too.

#8 ·
Moto makes better radios. Plain and simple. Very few will argue that fact. Its a trade off. A better radio or a totally unlock and pure phone. I will take the unlocked device. :D

#11 ·
The leaked 4.0.4 radio gave me better signal. No complaints here

#13 ·
For what its worth. My brother bought the razr Mazzini and I have the nexus. We put them next to each other. His showed 4bars of 3g and mine only showed 2. His db was better too. We did a speed test with speed test.net and the results were almost identical.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using RootzWiki

#16 ·
I had a Razr for about 3 weeks back in December. I had ordered through Amazon when they did a promo, so I actually got the phone for a penny - basically free. I was consistently having data connection issues that would sometimes go away with a reboot, sometimes not. (I actually took the phone into a Verizon retailer to double check that there wasn't a network issue during one of these times. All the floor phones and the employee phones were fine, mine had no data.)

After researching a bit more, I decided to call Amazon, and they offered to return the RAZR and let me swap it out for a Nexus, which I had to pay $150 for.

I am EXTREMELY happy with the choice, even with added up-front expense. I felt like the phone audio quality was slightly better on the Moto, but I haven't had a single dropped call on either device. (And this was after coming from AT&T where I constantly dropped calls on an older Samsung while in my house.)

I was worried before I switched after reading some of the issues people reported, but I haven't experiences any of those problems, and the issues I had with losing data on the RAZR are gone on the Sammy. I show fewer bars at my house but get basically the same exact download speeds.

The other issue I was concerned about was the camera, but I found that neither phone was amazing in that department. With a steady hand, the Nexus does well in decent light, and the ICS lack of shutter lag is awesome.

Other than that, the phone is absolutely killer. Get it. Really.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
When the Razr gets ICS, it will be interesting to see how they screw it up. ICS is beautiful the way it is, but they are going to uglify somehow.

I have never experienced random reboots (unless I was using an experimental kernel) or dropping of data. I have had the whole outgoing sound call bug, but it hasn't happened in a while. As far as signal goes, I have no complaints. I am consistently pulling down 25-35mbps and 12-17mbps up. My *only* complaint is the battery. The extended while being 2100, is better than 1850, but not by much, is a must. I use my phone a lot, and even with all the different combo's of ROMs/Kernels I have tried, I still have 5 chargers spread throughout the house/work/car.

#18 ·
I did a speedtest in store with the nexus and the razor next to each other and the speeds were both fine. The signal was higher in the nexus but big deal if u don't like it return it n 14 days and return

sent from my super gnex

#21 ·
My dad has a rezound, the connection strength is almost identical at his house.
it all really depends on your location and the quality of coverage Verizon has in your area. If you've never had connectivity issues in your area before, you won't have any with the nexus.

As for battery life, you don't need the extended battery, myself and many others are getting at the very least 15 hours of battery life under fairly heavy usage.

However if you plan to keep your phone stock you may not get the same results. Custom roms and kernels really bring this phone to life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.