Android OS Forum banner

[G2][ROM][7/18/11] Virtuous Sense v2.0.0 :: Enhanced & Optimized Stock (DZ 2.42.405.2)

16K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  DRW92 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

This project is a collaborative effort between rmk and eViL D:

Virtuous is a custom ROM for the HTC Vision series of phones (G2, DesireZ, etc). The goal is to provide a simple, Sense-based, mostly-stock ROM based on the official Desire-Z Sense ROM with essential bug fixes and only subtle enhancements. Virtuous started on the HTC Droid Incredible and is currently one of the most popular ROMs for that device. Virtuous for the Incredible has over 6000 users with an established reputation for stability; which we intend to continue for Vision users.

ROM Details:
  • Based off the official DesireZ Sense ROM (WWE 2.42.405.2), deodexed and zipaligned.
  • Pre-rooted with the latest version of Superuser and modified ramdisk to allow adb remount, mock locations, etc.
  • Wifi calling included and fully functional, conditionally installed for T-Mobile USA users only.
  • Optical trackpad unlock/wake.
  • Enhanced reboot options built-in, allowing for booting into recovery, bootloader, hot boot, etc.
  • Virtuous Sense custom kernel with overclocking daemon (no need for SetCPU/Tuner). Screen Off: 245760 / 599040 (conservative). Screen On: 245760 / 998400 (ondemand)
  • IO optimizations such as use of ext4 for all mounts and larger read-ahead buffer for improved sdcard performance.
  • Updated versions of all Market-available apps.
  • All Market-installable apps installed in /data/app. These apps are automatically installed for you both on initial install and after a factory reset/wipe. There are custom scripts to use Android's package manager (pm) to manage these apps, which ensures they are installed properly.
  • Added applications: ChromeToPhone, Google Voice and Titanium Backup. Since these are Market apps, they are automatically installed in /data/app for easy removal if desired.
  • Bloatware, defined as anything you could easily choose to download from the Market yourself, has been removed.
  • Disabled boot animation audio.
  • Automatic Virtuous OTA upgrade notification and installation via ROM Manager.
Installation:

1. You must be perm rooted with and Clockwork Recovery installed (i.e. s-off).
  2. Perform a nandroid backup of your current ROM, in case you change your mind or encounter issues.
  3. If you are coming from another stock Sense ROM, you may not have to wipe data. I obviously recommend wiping data (since it will eliminate any possibly bad/stale configuration), but the update script will not do so automatically during installation. Use your best judgement to determine what works best for you.
  4. Wipes are NOT required for any upgrade to/from any release with the same major version of the ROM; downgrades are a different story. Versioning schema is Major.Minor.Revision.
  5. Apply the zip via Clockwork Recovery. It has not been tested with any other recovery.
  6. Expect the first boot to take anywhere from 6-10 minutes. Subsequent reboots should be significantly quicker.
  7. After initial install, allow a few minutes for all ROM-provided applications to appear. Some are installed post-boot using package manager.

Disclaimer

As with any modification (ROM, patch, etc), you run the risk of damaging your device. While unlikely, it is important to consider this possibility before proceeding. I take no responsibility for any such damage, data loss or otherwise.

Download Full 2.0.0 ROM
(MD5:b11fa8b0aaf14221f259a88efcfef978)​

See less See more
#28 ·
Cecione79 said:
First of all, I wanna thank you !! DZ is my first android phone, rooted yesterday...
This afternoon I flashed this wonderful ROM and it seems working very nice !!!
I started at 15:00 with full battery....Now it's 00:00 and I have still 27% !

If consider I spent at least 3 hour "playing" with my setup, downloading and tapping tapping tapping :androidwink: the battery seems going fine !!

I have found in my hardware 26.03.02.26 but i'm not living in the usa (i'm italian) :angel:

The question(s) is:

- Should I keep that and don't touch everything if it's working quite good ?
- Can I flash and flash-back in case of issues without problems ?
- Is it SAFER to make a backup of the entire system with clockwork before proceeding instead of flash and flash-back ? (Because on XDA someone says that switching between radios can make troubles with gps)

I'm asking because an italian proverb says:

"Never touch the shit or it may stink" :smile3:

And, if it is not worth, I don't wanna mess with a rom that seems working so fine!

Thanks !!
The proverb you quote is the general rule of thumb when it comes to radios.
I would say "if it ain't broke don't try to fix it"

Glad you like the rom. :)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

#29 ·
Moved from XDA to here as well. Is there any reason why rmk decided to dump XDA for good or am I misunderstandong something?

My issues:
- Every time updating or installing app from Market, playing music apps that use internet (Last.fm / Spotify etc.) and Widgetlocker quit/crash
- Spotify crash everytime push notification is received

Rmk promised some time to add fixed keymaps for scandinavian users, is there an update some where? I installed 2.0.0 about two months ago (June or July), is this the same version or updated one?

Thanks in advance.

#30 ·
weezee said:
Ah ok, I've never let the battery fully discharge, I just charged it overnight before first usage. Ok, will do. Thanks
woah woah woah, don't discharge your battery completley. that's the technique for older technology batteries. the ones that are in the dz are the newer types that prefer to be above 30% on average.
Just keep on using and charging it and after a few cycles it will calibrate itself. the full discharge thing is for old battery technology that requires you to "set its memory" so it knows what max and whats min. do not do that with your current battery since you'll just damage it.

#31 ·
"mputtr said:
woah woah woah, don't discharge your battery completley. that's the technique for older technology batteries. the ones that are in the dz are the newer types that prefer to be above 30% on average.
Just keep on using and charging it and after a few cycles it will calibrate itself. the full discharge thing is for old battery technology that requires you to "set its memory" so it knows what max and whats min. do not do that with your current battery since you'll just damage it.
Oops my bad! Just moved from my old G1 last week. Would keep that in mind. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using RootzWiki Forums

#32 ·
np. just wanted to make sure you're not damaging the thing. it's an old technique but as I said, it's for the older battery type.

Reactions: weezee
#34 ·
Not never go below 30, but 30 to 90 i think, is the best place where it likes to be. you can go down to 5%, but all in all, the point is to make sure you don't drain it completley on purpose.
The tech allows you to simply charge when you want without losing a cycle.
in other words, it actually calculates how much was charged and adds that to the counter until it equlas 1 full cycle, then counts it as the 1 cycle charged, so you wont be losing anything by constantly charging and pulling it out.

#35 ·
rolle said:
Moved from XDA to here as well. Is there any reason why rmk decided to dump XDA for good or am I misunderstandong something?
From what I understand, clashing and unsubstantiated accusing from other xda devs lead to some of the virtuous team moving away.

2.0.0 has been fairly solid, haven't gotten a force close in a very long time. There is a reason I like the stability of this version over Unity.

#36 ·
Hey rmk, and others, quick question. Been using this, and previous Virtuous Sense roms in the past, but I've been having some issues with the flash. Not sure if it's a known issue, but the flash refuses to work. Installed with a clean wipe as I always do and did not restore any apps. Only realized this when I tried to use the camera last night. I'll try to recreate the situation and get a logcat asap. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

#37 ·
sorry, I'm not having that problem at all. I took quite a few pictures at a wedding with the flash on.
Is it possible for you to do a nandroid backup, superwipe, flash virtuous, let it settle, then test out camera with flash? (also make sure you set the flash on as well)

#38 ·
ANo problems with flash here either. Have you tried different browsers? If you meant camera flash that works fine for me too as well as flashlight.

I do have a minor problem with sms notifications. It seems I can't get the green led to blink anymore even though notifications are turned on and sms is checked in the settings for flash led.
I also noticed the trackpad will blink a few times and stop.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

#39 ·
Hello.
I have a problem with this rom
Rom the two devices are flashed with 2.0.0 show the problem that websites will not load properly, the error shows itself only when umts / gprs connections.
The sim card was swapped with another Also one that showed sim card in the test device (one tab) no error, the 2 th dz device already.
My network provider is Vodafone DE.
the error is, which is almost every 2nd webpage not displayed, the opera browser bar shows the following error "the gateway does not respond in the predetermined time".
Greeting Conan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.