Android OS Forum banner

[G2][ROM][7/18/11] Virtuous Sense v2.0.0 :: Enhanced & Optimized Stock (DZ 2.42.405.2)

16K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  DRW92 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

This project is a collaborative effort between rmk and eViL D:

Virtuous is a custom ROM for the HTC Vision series of phones (G2, DesireZ, etc). The goal is to provide a simple, Sense-based, mostly-stock ROM based on the official Desire-Z Sense ROM with essential bug fixes and only subtle enhancements. Virtuous started on the HTC Droid Incredible and is currently one of the most popular ROMs for that device. Virtuous for the Incredible has over 6000 users with an established reputation for stability; which we intend to continue for Vision users.

ROM Details:
  • Based off the official DesireZ Sense ROM (WWE 2.42.405.2), deodexed and zipaligned.
  • Pre-rooted with the latest version of Superuser and modified ramdisk to allow adb remount, mock locations, etc.
  • Wifi calling included and fully functional, conditionally installed for T-Mobile USA users only.
  • Optical trackpad unlock/wake.
  • Enhanced reboot options built-in, allowing for booting into recovery, bootloader, hot boot, etc.
  • Virtuous Sense custom kernel with overclocking daemon (no need for SetCPU/Tuner). Screen Off: 245760 / 599040 (conservative). Screen On: 245760 / 998400 (ondemand)
  • IO optimizations such as use of ext4 for all mounts and larger read-ahead buffer for improved sdcard performance.
  • Updated versions of all Market-available apps.
  • All Market-installable apps installed in /data/app. These apps are automatically installed for you both on initial install and after a factory reset/wipe. There are custom scripts to use Android's package manager (pm) to manage these apps, which ensures they are installed properly.
  • Added applications: ChromeToPhone, Google Voice and Titanium Backup. Since these are Market apps, they are automatically installed in /data/app for easy removal if desired.
  • Bloatware, defined as anything you could easily choose to download from the Market yourself, has been removed.
  • Disabled boot animation audio.
  • Automatic Virtuous OTA upgrade notification and installation via ROM Manager.
Installation:

1. You must be perm rooted with and Clockwork Recovery installed (i.e. s-off).
  2. Perform a nandroid backup of your current ROM, in case you change your mind or encounter issues.
  3. If you are coming from another stock Sense ROM, you may not have to wipe data. I obviously recommend wiping data (since it will eliminate any possibly bad/stale configuration), but the update script will not do so automatically during installation. Use your best judgement to determine what works best for you.
  4. Wipes are NOT required for any upgrade to/from any release with the same major version of the ROM; downgrades are a different story. Versioning schema is Major.Minor.Revision.
  5. Apply the zip via Clockwork Recovery. It has not been tested with any other recovery.
  6. Expect the first boot to take anywhere from 6-10 minutes. Subsequent reboots should be significantly quicker.
  7. After initial install, allow a few minutes for all ROM-provided applications to appear. Some are installed post-boot using package manager.

Disclaimer

As with any modification (ROM, patch, etc), you run the risk of damaging your device. While unlikely, it is important to consider this possibility before proceeding. I take no responsibility for any such damage, data loss or otherwise.

Download Full 2.0.0 ROM
(MD5:b11fa8b0aaf14221f259a88efcfef978)​

See less See more
#2 ·
Recommended Radios

The current recommended radio is 26.04.02.17, which matches Virtuous 1.0's RUU base. This is the best choice for most users. Alternatively, for those on T-Mobile in the US, you may also consider 26.03.02.26, which is the latest OTA radio for this carrier.

Please do not ask how to update your radio in this thread, as there are many threads on XDA dedicated specifically to this topic. Use the search function on the forums for more information.

#3 ·
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I think I have encountered a bug. How do I report it?

Before you report a bug, you need to confirm the problem is not specific to a customization or application that you run. To do so, perform a Nandroid backup, full wipe/factory reset and (re)install the latest version of the ROM without any custom kernels. Attempt to reproduce the problem before installing any applications or using Titanium in any way. If it cannot be reproduced, chances are the root cause has nothing to do with the ROM.

We get far too many erroneous bug reports which are simply a result of user customizations or error. Such reports waste our time and those of your Virtuous peers watching this thread. So we ask that you please take the time to eliminate all your configuration, as mentioned above, before blaming the ROM and posting here.​

Q: The right button (where personalize normally is) does not work, what do I do?

Beginning with Virtuous 1.0, the personalize button is customizable. It is not mapped to any function by default. You can map it by running the provided LaunchKey application. This information was covered in the change log as well. It is recommended that all users read the change log for every release, to avoid questions such as this one.​

Q: I used to see HSPA+ (H) connectivity with the stock ROM, where Virtuous shows me 3G in the same area. Why is the data slower?

The stock T-Mobile ROM lies about data rate and displays H even if you are in a 3G-only territory. Virtuous displays H only when you actually have HSPA+ service.

Q: When you recommend a "wipe", what does that mean and how do I do it?

Clockwork Recovery provides an option to perform a factory reset, which will format the /data and /cache partitions on your device. This will result in all of the ROM and application settings to be deleted. You should always perform a Nandroid backup before a wipe, just in case you need it.​

Q: I wiped but all my Market applications showed up anyway, what happened?

There's a backup to Google feature built into Android. You are asked about this on initial setup. If you set the check mark to turn it on, you will will automatically restore any previous backup. We recommend unchecking this box after a wipe. You can re-enable it anytime by going into Settings -> Privacy. Just make sure to turn off the automatic restore option when you do so.​

Q: Is it safe to restore system and/or application data with Titanium?

First and foremost, you should never restore system data. In the few cases where it actually does work, I still recommend against it. You're asking for trouble if you do. Restoring application data is mostly safe.​

Q: Which kernel should I use?

In almost all cases you should use the stock kernel provided to you with the ROM. As of version 0.9.0, this kernel ("standard") is preset to overclock safely to 1Ghz, automatically clocking down to a maximum 384Mhz with the screen off. If you are the type who prefers to control your clock speeds, governors, etc, we provide an "advanced" kernel which allows for higher overclocking frequencies and more governor options. However, no support will be provided for "advanced" kernel users in this thread. In other words, you're welcome to tweak but you're on your own if you do.

One other important note. If you decide to include a kernel outside from one of the various other kernel threads, make absolutely certain it is compatible with Sense. Vanilla kernels, such as those designed for Cyanogenmod, will simply not work with Sense ROMs. For example, Pershoot's kernel from his thread will not work with Virtuous. You must use our Sense-modified version if you decide to go that route.​

Q: Which radio and/or recovery comes with this ROM?

We do not include a radio or recovery. The only partitions we touch on your device are system, cache and data. This will never change. As of now, there are no specific radio requirements either.​

Q: I just installed the ROM (or factory reset my existing install) and it's really slow on the first boot, what's the deal?

The first time you boot the ROM after a wipe, all ROM-provided applications destined for /data/app are installed automatically in the background. This process is CPU and IO intensive. Just be patient and it'll become snappy once this process is complete. It only happens on the first boot.​

Q: When will you release a Gingerbread version?

Virtuous will always be based on official HTC ROMs for the DesireZ/G2 and never on a port from another device. In other words, there will be no Gingerbread release until we have an actual RUU or OTA package specifically for this device. If you prefer to run a bleeding edge ROM, there are many such projects available. Our primary goal is stability, which cannot be guaranteed with a port.​

#7 ·
Having some problems on my Desire Z after upgrading from Virtuous 1.0.2...

I was using JuiceDefender 3.5.6beta to toggle my mobile data at 15 minute intervals. It worked fine at first, however after 5 hours (approximately, it varies) the toggle breaks; it tries to initialize the mobile data connection, but no data is transmitted or received.

If I go to "Settings>Wireless and Networks", the "Mobile Data" checkbox is ticked, but instead of saying "Connected", it says "Use mobile data for data connection when Wi-Fi is unavailable" or something similar. Wi-Fi is not turned on, so I'm not sure what's going on.

When this happened, I tried the following solutions:

Disable JuiceDefender and manually toggle the "Moble Data" checkbox in "Settings>Wireless and Networks"
This occasionally works, allowing mobile data to connect, but most times it just greys out, says "Turning on..." and stays that way.
Incidentally, JuiceDefender does not modify APNs to toggle data, so it's not an APN issue, and the dev claims to support Gingerbread since v3.5.0.

After disabling JuiceDefender completely, I try the below solutions:

Turning Airplane Mode on and off
Also does not solve the problem.

Turn Wifi on, wait until it connects, leave it for a few minutes, then turn it off.
Very strangely, mobile data can connect after doing this, but subsequent tries to toggle mobile data manually from "Settings>Wireless and Networks" without doing this voodoo do not work.

Check out the phone information via *#*#4636#*#*
The test menu shows "GPRS service: Disconnected" and the ping test does not work. Turning the radio on and off from this menu does not solve the problem.

Reboot
This is the next-to-final resort, and solves the problem, until 5 hours later.

Flash radio, match RIL, wipe EFS
So far, i have had this same problem despite flashing from 26.03.02.26 to 26.04.02.17, and then to 26.10.04.03. It doesn't seem to matter which radio I use.

I know that the XDA thread for this ROM has some reports of issues with mobile data, but those were solved by flashing radios and matching RILs. In my case, I think that a downgrade back to 1.0.2 may be in order...

Any suggestions?

#8 ·
While I am at it, I also have the following comments about features missing from Virtuous Sense 2.0.0 that were in Virtuous 1.0.2:

1) The trackpad in 2.0.0 is horribly unresponsive; it only advances one character at a time even when you swipe frantically at it, making it less than useful for text selection. This has been mentioned on XDA as well. Yes, Gingerbread has improved text selection markers, but HTC doesn't even implement them, and they've broken the only viable alternative!

2) The WWE RUU that 2.0.0 was based on does not appear to include support for Chinese handwriting input, which is a shame, since Virtuous 1.0.2 did, and no one's stepped up to extract it from the Taiwan RUU and offer it. It's also missing many locales, though I guess that Morelocales2 or similar would make them available.

2) When you click on the HTC Sense Flip Clock/Weather widget, it inexplicably jumps you to the World Time display instead of the Desk Clock display as it normally does on stock Sense (well, at least it did on versions of the widget up to Virtuous 1.0.2).

4) The Sync icon that appears in the status bar when retrieving email, contacts, etc. no longer spins. Similarly, the Download icons that show up when you are downloading an app no longer animate. Okay, this one is a matter of personal preference, but I liked how it looked... OTOH, I'm totally sold on the new battery meter's look.

None of these are as show-stopping as my mobile data problem, but they definitely dampen my enthusiasm for upgrading.

#15 ·
So glad I found you here! When you shut down your threads on XDA I was in a bit of a panic, but after reading your tweets, found you and totally understand why you did this. I am fully supportive of your decision and look forward to continued participation in your rom development!

#17 ·
Athrun88 said:
Glad you moved to another site rather than shut down development altogether rmk. Keep fighting the good fight! Your roms are the best hands down!
+1

Maybe one day XDA will listen to the people who made XDA wat it is today.

#18 ·
Hi there...

I follow you everywhere ^^
Nice to see you here...love your ROM...

But a little question i have...

After a while using 2.0 my Desire becames a slow down....the reaction is slow....to work with is is like the first Smartphones....ssllloooowwwlllyyy...

Ok i have many apps and much more photos on my SD but @the moment i have an Xperia Mini Pro my oqn (love it too!) and its much much faster...

Sorry about my english its about 13 years since my last shool lesson ^^

#19 ·
well... Chokotey, first of all, have you done anything like cache cleaning and clearing up unused apps?
2) how much stuff do you have runnin in the background.
3) when was the last time you ran your phone through a normal restart?

#20 ·
Chakotey said:
Hi there...

I follow you everywhere ^^
Nice to see you here...love your ROM...

But a little question i have...

After a while using 2.0 my Desire becames a slow down....the reaction is slow....to work with is is like the first Smartphones....ssllloooowwwlllyyy...

Ok i have many apps and much more photos on my SD but @the moment i have an Xperia Mini Pro my oqn (love it too!) and its much much faster...

Sorry about my english its about 13 years since my last shool lesson ^^
With the Desire Z/G2, you really don't have the need to move anything to your SD card. Unless you have 500 apps on the phone, you will be better off storing your APPS on your SD to improve performance and storing your MEDIA (Photos, movies, music, etc..) on your SD instead and access when needed. I would suggest a 16GB or 32GB Class 4 SD card for storage and try to place all your apps on internal memory.

#21 ·
I have just come from XDA too. I don't know what happened, but I was about to ask the same as Chakotey. I had a brick 3 months ago and just got a new DZ now. I first reloaded my Virtuous Sense 1.0.2 nandroid backup, then discovered a 2.0.0 was released in the meantime, wiped and installed it. But I have to say that I too notice slowness and hangs when moving from a page to another, or from closing/opening apps. Is it possible that apps like AppsOrganizer widgets and Blue Skies live wallpaper are not completely compatible? The AppsOrgenizer widgets often lag before open/close and BlueSkies sometimes crashes resetting to default wallpaper. Also I seem to experience a much higher battery consumption (half than before I'd say), even with JuiceDefender active. About what Arthur88 said, I have about 200 apps, of which 110 on SD 32 Gb class 6 and the rest on phone (520 Mb free out of 1.05 Gb). Procs in background are the standard ones, plus DW Contacts, for a total of 11 at 146 Mb of usage. What can I do to optimize stability and battery life more than this?

#22 ·
weezee said:
I have just come from XDA too. I don't know what happened, but I was about to ask the same as Chakotey. I had a brick 3 months ago and just got a new DZ now. I first reloaded my Virtuous Sense 1.0.2 nandroid backup, then discovered a 2.0.0 was released in the meantime, wiped and installed it. But I have to say that I too notice slowness and hangs when moving from a page to another, or from closing/opening apps. Is it possible that apps like AppsOrganizer widgets and Blue Skies live wallpaper are not completely compatible? The AppsOrgenizer widgets often lag before open/close and BlueSkies sometimes crashes resetting to default wallpaper. Also I seem to experience a much higher battery consumption (half than before I'd say), even with JuiceDefender active. About what Arthur88 said, I have about 200 apps, of which 110 on SD 32 Gb class 6 and the rest on phone (520 Mb free out of 1.05 Gb). Procs in background are the standard ones, plus DW Contacts, for a total of 11 at 146 Mb of usage. What can I do to optimize stability and battery life more than this?
Exactly 100% the same issius ;)
I have used App2SD to storage alls the apps on SD ;(
Restart almost every Day...normal Reboot not! fast.
I have FolderOrganizer too and the Folders open with about 1 sec ountil 2-3 sec ;(
Switching between the Desktops from 1 sec till 3 sec.
When i switched alle screen then it goes very smooth.
SD Card is a 16GB Class 4 with good write and read facts (testet it on my PC before)

Like i said my new Xperia Mini Pro hast now the same stuff on it (Navi, Folders, about 180 apps) and is much faster ;(

#23 ·
First of all, I wanna thank you !! DZ is my first android phone, rooted yesterday...
This afternoon I flashed this wonderful ROM and it seems working very nice !!!
I started at 15:00 with full battery....Now it's 00:00 and I have still 27% !

If consider I spent at least 3 hour "playing" with my setup, downloading and tapping tapping tapping :androidwink: the battery seems going fine !!

rmk said:
The current recommended radio is 26.04.02.17, which matches Virtuous 1.0's RUU base. This is the best choice for most users. Alternatively, for those on T-Mobile in the US, you may also consider 26.03.02.26, which is the latest OTA radio for this carrier.
I have found in my hardware 26.03.02.26 but i'm not living in the usa (i'm italian) :angel:

The question(s) is:

- Should I keep that and don't touch everything if it's working quite good ?
- Can I flash and flash-back in case of issues without problems ?
- Is it SAFER to make a backup of the entire system with clockwork before proceeding instead of flash and flash-back ? (Because on XDA someone says that switching between radios can make troubles with gps)

I'm asking because an italian proverb says:

"Never touch the shit or it may stink" :smile3:

And, if it is not worth, I don't wanna mess with a rom that seems working so fine!

Thanks !!

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
"Chakotey said:
Exactly 100% the same issius ;)
I have used App2SD to storage alls the apps on SD ;(
Restart almost every Day...normal Reboot not! fast.
I have FolderOrganizer too and the Folders open with about 1 sec ountil 2-3 sec ;(
Switching between the Desktops from 1 sec till 3 sec.
When i switched alle screen then it goes very smooth.
SD Card is a 16GB Class 4 with good write and read facts (testet it on my PC before)
All apps on SD would definitely bogs up the io stream. Better to put commonly used apps in internal memory. I put only rarely used apps on sd or better yet backup them with titanium backup and uninstall them. Hope this helps

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using RootzWiki Forums

#25 ·
azrash: Ok, will do, but then what's APP2SD for? Also, I wish to stress the fact that my HTC Desire Z with Virtuous 2.0.0 drains battery at light speed. When I use it moving things around or simply checking stuff and/or going online, the battery burns 1%/min. I mean that if I use it with no pause, I finish battery in 100 min or even less!! And this with JuiceDefender and almost no process running.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
"weezee said:
azrash: Ok, will do, but then what's APP2SD for? Also, I wish to stress the fact that my HTC Desire Z with Virtuous 2.0.0 drains battery at light speed. When I use it moving things around or simply checking stuff and/or going online, the battery burns 1%/min. I mean that if I use it with no pause, I finish battery in 100 min or even less!! And this with JuiceDefender and almost no process running.
App2sd is used when internal memory is full. It acts as one of the solution when internal memory is full. Regarding the battery usage, try completing a few full cycles of discharge and full charge. The rom would recalibrate the battery automatically and it should be fine after that

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using RootzWiki Forums

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.