Android OS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,690 Posts
It has become apparent that there are rooting methods out there for the Galaxy Nexus that seem to be causing issues with the device. It sends the phone into a seemingly endless bootloop. I know it is yet to arrive really in the U.S. but I wanted to get this posted here before people get the phone and go to root it with a method that could brick your device. I take NO credit for these instructions and they are taken from Free Your Android and pasted here for instant access from here.

**As always RootzWiki nor myself are responsible if something goes wrong. Root your phone at your own risk with the understanding it will void your warranty and there is always a chance of something going wrong.**

*This method WILL WIPE YOUR DATA*

First download Galaxy Nexus FYA Root Package and extract it to c:\gnexroot (for the purposes of this guide)

Method

1. First, navigate to C:\gnexroot and install the Samsung drivers (Samsung_USB_Driver_for_Moblie_Phones_v1_4_6_0.exe)
1. If those drivers dont work download pdanet from here http://forum.xda-dev....php?p=19709279 and let pdanet install the drivers for you. Worked for some of us.

2. With the phone turned OFF, hold VOLUME UP + VOLUME DOWN and power the phone on. This will put you in bootloader mode.

3. Navigate again to C:\gnexroot, and hold SHIFT on your keyboard, and right click in the white space. Then, click 'Open command window here'

4. In the command prompt, type:

fastboot oem unlock

You will be prompted to confirm that you wish to unlock the bootloader. You do, of course.

5. Once the bootloader has been unlocked, it's time to boot up the device using the insecure boot.img (ro.secure=0 set in the ramdisk). This essentially means you have permanent root for the duration of this boot session. In order to boot up using that boot image, simply type:

fastboot boot boot.img

Don't expect to see anything wildly different during the boot process - it will boot as normal.

6. Once the phone has booted, in the command prompt window, type the following commands, pressing enter after each line:

adb root

adb remount

adb push su /system/bin

adb push Superuser.apk /system/app

adb shell chmod 06755 /system/bin/su

adb shell chmod 06755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

adb reboot

Again I did NOT write these steps nor did I take credit for this procedure. My goal was to have all this information easy to access here so people don't brick their new device

EVERYONE SHOULD PROBABLY WAIT ON THIS!!! THE BOOT.IMG IS BOOTLOOPING PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!

I would recommend using this link and installing clockwork recovery and rooting by installing revolution. This worked for me perfectly until we can find a different boot.img http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1392336

·
Supporting Member
374 Posts
Thank you for the time it took to put that up here. I'm possitive that will help. Btw, has the dev been notified?

·
Supporting Member
374 Posts
Now this leads me to another question. I was given an att galaxy s 1500 facinate in trade for repairing a droid x. I am using that phone to learn adb. Would this method also work on it? And would the commands be the same. Only thing wrong with it is the screen is cracked. And bad esn.

·
Android Beginner
10 Posts
Now this leads me to another question. I was given an att galaxy s 1500 facinate in trade for repairing a droid x. I am using that phone to learn adb. Would this method also work on it? And would the commands be the same. Only thing wrong with it is the screen is cracked. And bad esn.
The pushing of su and Superuser.apk will be the same. But the actual rooting part for the FASCINATE is different. Here's a detailed step by step to root your FASCINATE: http://www.droidforu...html#post819724

Reactions: scooby0u812

·
Supporting Member
374 Posts
Thanxs for the info and link.

·
I just live here
475 Posts
The pushing of su and Superuser.apk will be the same. But the actual rooting part is different. Here's a detailed step by step: http://www.droidforu...html#post819724
Please include the fact your link is for another phone and NOT the Galaxy Nexus. Yes people are ignorant enough to click that and follow those instructions if the above instructions do you not work for them (they'll scroll down for another link and click without reading much).

·
Android Beginner
10 Posts
Please include the fact your link is for another phone and NOT the Galaxy Nexus. Yes people are ignorant enough to click that and follow those instructions if the above instructions do you not work for them (they'll scroll down for another link and click without reading much).
Yes some people may be ignorant enough to click that link. BUT the heading clearly says Setup Your Fascinate and Root Your Fascinate. If people can't read and understand instructions then they shouldn't be messing with their phones!

·
I just live here
475 Posts
Yes some people may be ignorant enough to click that link. BUT the heading clearly says Setup Your Fascinate and Root Your Fascinate. If people can't read and understand instructions then they shouldn't be messing with their phones!
I completely agree with your statement, but I had a guy in the #charge IRC who flashed a Fascinate ROM because he saw someone talking about a TW4 ROM. So he Googled TW4 ROM's, found a link, clicked it, and flashed it on his Charge. Luckily the phones are similar enough he didn't brick his Charge, but this just goes to show how people work that do flash their phones. The problem lies in the fact. The people dumb enough to just click links, are the ones dumb enough to return it to the store because THEY bricked their phone and want a new one. It boils down to making it as dumb proof as possible for those that need the extra help and in the long run help the development community as a whole.

·
Best Buy Mobile Lead
124 Posts
My question will be related to the system fingerprints. I may wait a few hours to see when people start getting theirs to see if any builds other than 'mysid' surface. If my device is anything other than that, it's going back to the store. Can anyone with an LTE version comment?

·
Average Android
446 Posts
Can you root without unlocking the bootloader? I want to root it right away but want to make sure the hardware is good before go to the point of no return by unlocking the bootloader.. otherwise I'll use it a bit then fudge it and unlock it anyway

·
Half Asian Half Amazing
78 Posts
I am definitely keeping the device I get tomorrow stock after the fiasco that happened a few days ago >_< /epicfail on my part.

Hopefully there will be an idiotproof way to keep me from messing anything up at some point or some kind of antibrick mod.

·
Supporting Member
374 Posts
I'm not sure if i asked this or not but is this lte/gsm specific? meaning will it work for either one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to clarify the procedure, the phone needs to be plugged in to the usb port at some point right?
After installing the drivers and before loading into the bootloader? Someone correct me if I'm wrong

1 - 20 of 105 Posts