Android OS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Your trusted friend in science
620 Posts
Any chance we could get one single subforum for kernels for the different models? Us kernel devs already have two threads to keep updated for exactly the same kernel and now with the new Sprint model there will be yet another additional one. That is really annoying since it just takes a lot of time copy/pasting every important post to different threads. And that is time I rather would like to spend developing.

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel you man. I'd also like to here what ROM developers think about this as I know the difference in OPs is normally just a link.
I never made a ROM, but I think there are differences for the GSM and LTE versions due to differences for the radio. But I might be wrong. Maybe a ROM dev can enlighten us.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I never made a ROM, but I think there are differences for the GSM and LTE versions due to differences for the radio. But I might be wrong. Maybe a ROM dev can enlighten us.
Yeah they are different links but the info & everything else in the OP is typically identical which seems like a pita. We still have people flashing the wrong versions all the time even with separate subs lol.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
The kernel itself is the same (zImage file) but if you package it as a boot.img, aren't the boot.img files device dependent? Also, ROMs are device dependent due to differences for the radio and signal reporting.

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The kernel itself is the same (zImage file) but if you package it as a boot.img, aren't the boot.img files device dependent? Also, ROMs are device dependent due to differences for the radio and signal reporting.
Imo's and Francisco's kernels include a ramdisk and they use the same for GSM and LTE. So kernels whether they come with ramdisk or not should be compatible for both GSM and LTE.

So the way I see it having a unified subforum for kernels should be possible. ROMs on the other hand will have to stay in their model-specific threads.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
I may be misunderstanding what you wrote here...if so disregard half of what im saying about radios lol
Radio Firmware is generally not included in ROM's but In terms of source...(though other proprietaries directly related to the radio are)

For example google offers imgtech (graphics binaries)

one vendor/samsung/toro one vendor/samsung/maguro and one android_device_samsung_toro and you guessed it one android_device_samsung_maguro

(or some variation of that nomenclature)

In terms of whats different file wise, gps config files are different build fingerprints are obviously different (as well as build.props) the whole vendor folder (main difference being the gsm binaries as opposed to cdma/lte) Anywho that was a technical breakdown.

I think it would be cool to have a dedicated kernel section just to keep things a touch cleaner for the galaxy nexus forums...

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have consolidated kernels and themes, ROMs will continue to be unique forums. We hope this helps.
So when will that consolidation for kernels in a single forum happen? Also what will happen to the old threads? Is there a way one could merge these into a single thread since it would be nice if all that info collected there would still be available?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts